Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear shift rod boot on the middle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Rear shift rod boot on the middle Reply with quote

Hi all!
I have a '86 but with a '89 gearbox and shift rod bushing with rear boot.
The midlle bushing often dries out and make the shifting really hard.
I was wondering if the rear bushing with the two boots could be used also on the front.
Did not find any topics about it, but I assume there are no contraindications against it.
Did anybody tried it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shift rod boot on the middle Reply with quote

I know by OE there was some boot and the syncros had some protection there, but those are unobtanium.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shift rod boot on the middle Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the rear bushing with boots on the forward one in the chassis. The bushing is a specific OD to allow the boots to fit up under the stamped sheet metal covers. ID is the same on both styles of shift bushings.

Here is the deal. I installed the ones from GW with boots on my syncro. Over time they actually started to seize. I disassembled both bushings and re lubed them. They were ok for a while and started to seize again. To drive the van, I had to remove one boot on each bushing to remove the bind. I ended up replacing them with the softer non boot type bushing from another supplier. Problem solved.

I contacted GW to let them know of the problem. They replied back almost immediately that they were aware of a manufacturing problem and thought they had gotten them all out of circulation. They credited me some GW bucks for my trouble.

So, they should work in both locations if they are fabricated correctly. The stiffer bushing is not recommended with inline engines. They do transmit more vibration up to the front. Hope that helps.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shift rod boot on the middle Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Yes, you can use the rear bushing with boots on the forward one in the chassis. The bushing is a specific OD to allow the boots to fit up under the stamped sheet metal covers. ID is the same on both styles of shift bushings.

Here is the deal. I installed the ones from GW with boots on my syncro. Over time they actually started to seize. I disassembled both bushings and re lubed them. They were ok for a while and started to seize again. To drive the van, I had to remove one boot on each bushing to remove the bind. I ended up replacing them with the softer non boot type bushing from another supplier. Problem solved.

I contacted GW to let them know of the problem. They replied back almost immediately that they were aware of a manufacturing problem and thought they had gotten them all out of circulation. They credited me some GW bucks for my trouble.

So, they should work in both locations if they are fabricated correctly. The stiffer bushing is not recommended with inline engines. They do transmit more vibration up to the front. Hope that helps.

I think I mentioned this somewhere else on the forum. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9806262

It's the grease used that make them swell to the point it's impossible to shift. I had to carve mine out with a knife on a beach in El Salvador, I was pissed!!
ALIKA T3 wrote:
kaalualu wrote:
Alika that was sort of the problem, boots removed, bushing intact, shifting is easy. Boots were disintegrating and jamming up the bushings.
Gowesty has discontinued product. Going to run without boots for now, new part on the way.

Buy the bushings from Buslab, 251711207E https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251711207e.htm
they have the real original VW bushings, made of hard plastic. You can use any grease with them.
Funnily VW Classic parts in Germany sells the Topran junk Evil or Very Mad For these, you need white lithium grease.

I've had the issue on a remote beach in El Salvador, I regreased them, lasted 1 day. Took it apart completely to find out they were swelled. I had to carve a bigger bore with a knife to solve the issue. Junk parts Evil or Very Mad

Notice how the edges are coming out at the bore

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gotta use lithium white grease. Or buy the VW made ones, from BusLab. Vewib supplies them , they're stamped VW. Funnily, they're not available from VW Classic parts, they sell Topran junk. Clowns.
Make sure to use the VW boots too, the JP Group ones disintegrate in 5 months.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shift rod boot on the middle Reply with quote

Thanks guys I somehow missed your replies on my topic.
The bushing now I have is either original from VW-classicparts or some big brand aftermarket. As I remember I lubed with everything I have since I installed it.
If I spray with WD40 is softens the grease and it is OK for a short while.

Then I will try the rear bushing with the boot - I will check what is avaialble at the local part stores.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: