Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

While I agree that the "weeper" hole is needed it's positioning is irrelevant as it barely protrudes into the "cut-out" which more serves the distributor dive gear. On distributor drive gear the "helical cut gear" along with the "helical oil groove" in the bearings surface would "screw" oil up from the bottom so it would need the "relief" cut out in the case. The oil groove in the distributor body barely extends into to that relief cut allowing any oil to drain back into the case from the distributor body!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
While I agree that the "weeper" hole is needed it's positioning is irrelevant as it barely protrudes into the "cut-out" which more serves the distributor dive gear. On distributor drive gear the "helical cut gear" along with the "helical oil groove" in the bearings surface would "screw" oil up from the bottom so it would need the "relief" cut out in the case. The oil groove in the distributor body barely extends into to that relief cut allowing any oil to drain back into the case from the distributor body!

So were does this oil get into the distributor body that needs to drain out this so called weeper hole? It can't come up past the distributor drive gear.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

From crankcase pressure and any oil slinging/misting, so it wouldn't matter the position of the groove!
What do you think always makes the fuel pump cross-shaft bleed oil? There is a cure for that too!
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

That's all nice info, but I am dealing with other issues please. Bear with me , I am about to f-it and put the old parts back on.Try to ascertain where I am failing---
The rotor points to 7 o'clock at 7.5 btdc. There are two positions available that could accept #1 wire when rotating dist, but "lower" one will not allow another 5 degrees of turn to counter clockise,(vac can hits intake/carb),which is needed to get rotor positioned to just before firing. So choosing the next position(above7o'clock) and turning the dist c-c to position
and refit) allows static timing of #1--- turning clockwise till light just comes on,go past, turn counterclockwise till light goes out ,now clockwise and lock dist where static light just comes on. That's it. Won't fire. (100 percent sure on wire placement, started by pulling all and refit) What's the mess up? It's eating me up! VW Dementia.

Not possible to turn dist cam 180 because vac can hits.And why is the other dist position not work if #1 tdc lined up ok?
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Chip wrote:
Sounds like you just need to reindex the drive (gear) until you can adjust the timing to where you want it. "Proper" isn't always right. Pull that drive, move it a tooth or two, make sure it is set all the way down, put the distributor back in the hole, fire it up and adjust timing to the sweet spot.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's real simple, set the motor #1 TDC and pull the distributor and distributor drive gear. Set your new distributor housing in place (w/o drive gear) and find the place (rotation) it fits for your application. Now re-install distributor drive gear in "to match", DONE!

BTW, the gear has 12 teeth so that's every 30*.

Don't worry about the shims as long as know they are there they are easily dealt with!

Last edited by RCP Phx on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

It sounds like you have overlooked something simple. Go back and check basics, plug and coil wire fitment, 12v to coil, tdc on number 1, not 3, etc. Pulling the drive gear to relocate is risky due to the shims. They wont fit past the brass gear, can get wedged or dropped, which leaves you way worse shape than you are. Maybe break for another day...
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

As I understand it the drive can be lifted approx 1"(?) to allow turning it, without disturbing the shims. Question is, since I need the dist rotor to turned about 1" counterclockwise (to allow for vac-can clearance), do I turn the drive gear clockwise or counter-clockwise ?
Would have liked to avoid it, but apparently must be repositioned. Which way,please!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

counterclockwise. you can only move it like 5mm minimum due to the teeth.

Last time I pulled one I was able to jam a wooden dowel into the hole for the spring, lift and carefully rotate, and then wiggled the dowel back out.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I would figure out why it doesnt start now, before goin after the dist drive gear. If you do decide to pull it, the fuel pump push rod needs to come out first, as it rides on the eccentric portion of the drive gear. Also, it would be helpful to pull the dist and measure down to the top of the gear, from the top of the case. Write that distance down. Since you cant tell if the shims drop, tilt or stay put, that dimension will tell you if all is correct. The shims are/should be .025" thick
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I know you said you just ran this distributor in another engine and it worked fine. But I actually think that's your problem. I'd try and install a different (good quality) distributor before doing anything else, and see what happens.

You can't rely on one of those knock off distributors from China to function properly. Those things can give up the ghost at any time.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Counterclockwise turn? I'm confused here-- Since I need more room for the vac can to turn towards fuel pump( going counterclockwise, to allow rotor to be just ahead of firing) ,wouldn't the drive turn be clockwise--- to turn the vac can back,toward engine rear and away from fuel pump?
This is getting to be a migraine of sorts.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Maybe you should dump the vac advance dist and just get a mechanical. Glenn or Bill or Marcel can set you up with a good one
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I was running an 009, and this is an attempt to "upgrade" to the svda.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

sorry, clockwise Embarassed

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Just did 8 mile test run. Running smooth,sounds nice. Back at garage: it's Too Hot. Dwell checks at 50, timing light shows 7.5 btdc. Running up to 3400rpm w/ vac plugged-- shows advance at 34°. Was less? So going back to less advance, it will not idle acceptably under 7.5 btdc. I'ld like that mechanical total advance to be at 30°, not the 34°.
But she definitely seems to be running well on the highway.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Glad you got it running, What was the issue?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Well it is running and sounds pretty good, but the overheating remains. I need a way to limit the mechanical advance on the svda to 30° instead of the 34-35° it's reaching now. What's the best way to do that?
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Well it is running and sounds pretty good, but the overheating remains. I need a way to limit the mechanical advance on the svda to 30° instead of the 34-35° it's reaching now. What's the best way to do that?
So you have 34-35 degrees with the hoses off and plugged?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

The strobe says so. Vac line is pinched close w/ hemostat.Yes, max is35-35 Ineed to change it, not sure how.Suggestions?
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
The strobe says so. Vac line is pinched close w/ hemostat.Yes, max is35-35 Ineed to change it, not sure how.Suggestions?

You have to adjust the stops which limit how much the weights open for the centrifugal advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: