Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pump relay bypass
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farnung1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on this forum, but after reasonable search I couldn't find the answer so I'll just ask.
On super beetle convertible (1977 in particular) what 2 terminals do you "jump" to run fuel pump in a pinch if relay fails?
thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

88d to 88y, but if you can't look that up on a diagram yourself you very likely shouldn't be messing around with things like that to begin with.
What makes you think you'll need to do such things anyways?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/76-79113wiring.jpg

Ever seen this?: https://ratwell.com/technical/LimpingHome.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Farnung1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

have had 2 relays fail in the last month and my mechanic not sure why. I'm thinking some electrical short might be frying out the relay?
Bypassing it is just so I can get car running and not have to get towed a 3rd time. I realize it's not a safe, permanent solution.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

It's not just the fuel pump you'll have to power, but the ECU and injectors too I suspect.

Keep the old relays, some simple components can be re-soldered by someone smarter than me.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

Don't do this. My car came with wire from a key-on hot from the back side of the fuse box to the fuel pump to jump a bad double relay. I keep the wire capped and coiled there for just such a situation. I forget which terminal and the truck is full for a upcoming trip. Reminder don't do this.
Farnung1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

Here's a related question that I'm sure busdaddy or someone else would know the answer to. Is the fuel pump relay supposed to get VERY WARM, ALMOST HOT when car is running?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

That's not surprising, it is a couple of coils of fine wire with + on one end and - on the other constantly, heat is a by product of making magnetism.

Too hot to touch or smoking?, that may be a problem, but really warm is normal.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

check what kind of amperage the pump itself (and circuit)is drawing....high amp pumps regularly killed pump relays on rabbits to the point that you always carried a pre made jumper wire for them...never really saw it that much on bugs but a lot can happen after another 20 years...the relay and the pump couldnt be any further apart if you wanted them to be so plenty of opportunities for high resistance in the circuit....i have no idea if real Bosch relays are still available or if you're currently forced to make do with a chinese copy that isnt as robust
Farnung1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

It's a Bosch pump only about a hundred miles on it. It also occurred to me that both times relay failed I had the top down. Maybe that caused relay to overheat? I wouldn't think so, I'm sure VW wouldn't have put relay benind the seat if that was the case.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

Use a generic horn relay. They usually are rated at 30 amps.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

This is my home made "emergency" relay bypass gimmick.
It is made from a dead standard relay; just a fuse soldered across Terminals 30, 87.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

iirc the original dual relay was mounted with the plugs facing up...this can cause them to fill with water if the rear window leaked...standard procedure was to remount them with the plugs on the bottom
Farnung1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump relay bypass Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
iirc the original dual relay was mounted with the plugs facing up...this can cause them to fill with water if the rear window leaked...standard procedure was to remount them with the plugs on the bottom

Thanks never thought of that! The car WAS sitting out in the rain at the shop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: