Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New classic manx #93
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Made my first holes in the Manx. Well in the dash.... want to start somewhere I could easily fix if I messed up lol. I think it came out ok, now just have to decide how to mount the speedometer ( hidden fasteners or S.S. button head bolts).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plus I got a chrome tag light housing off Facebook. This was one part that I thought I would never find.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Another part showed up. Flip up gas cap form eBay. Took almost two months to get here and could use a polish LOL.

Pajero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Don't put any switches in the bottom corner, or you won't be able to open the panel. I had to cut out the fiberglass for clearance after finding out this.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Pajero thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind when I place the switches.
The_Thunderbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Nice pick on the gauges! I recently used the same ones when I made this dash for my Thunderbug. They work great
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well boys and girls. I was getting work done at a good pace, then stopped to help a young man with his bus. That turned into a month long project lol. Then the little ones started baseball; boy I didn't realize how much time that would take up. So I decided that I can only have one toy car and sold the six seater rail buggy. That freed up some space and now I have some parts on the way. Hopefully I can get the bottom frame head plate off this week ( was rusted) and start welding the new one on next week.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got some parts today. New valve covers from Meyers Manx. Not the cheapest but they look well made.

Link

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

And they look cool AF Cool Well done Sir.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

The valve covers look good. I have a set in orange. They made by MST.
One thing I did find out from others is colors fade over time. I had mine clear powered coated to see if it will help from fading.
I ran into a problem with fitting them to my CB Performance Los Panchito cylinder heads. I had to grind down part of the heads as they are a larger surface then stock heads. I tried several different valve covers and most fit without any problem including stock ones. The Manx covers and one other set I have were the only ones that would not fit without the grinding on the head.
They did fit on stock VW dual port heads fine.
Having a inner and outer lip for gasket on the cover does not allow for much wiggle room.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Another part of the puzzle showed up today. Orange plaid seat covers for my 914 seats. Amazingly the color is a good match, was not sure how that was going to go lol. But they have that 70's look that I'm going after.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Had a little play time with the Manx today. Got the old bottom frame head plate off. Now starting on fitting the new one. Of course it doesn't fit, but it's not to far off.

Also got my steering column bracket from Meyer's Manx today

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well apparently UPS lost one of my packages of parts for the Manx. Not sure how that is going to play out, but at least the rear disc brakes were in another box and they made it here.
To get over that frustration I went out and got the bottom plate welded on the frame head.

Of course the box that got lost had all the parts for the suspension and things that would keep me moving forward. The parts supplier said they are making a claim and that will take a few days. So we will see what happens.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well no progress as far as work being completed lol. But I finally got my oil pump cover for the motor.

Hopefully the other parts make it this week.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well the chassis is on the move LOL.

Finally made it to the garage, so hopefully some real work can begin.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well I've got started on the chassis. Hope to have the floors on by next week.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the tunnel popped apart, and lined up. Everything measure out so got her welded back together. I kept the E-brakes and heater cables. As I get older, heat maybe a nice luxury. Below is a video of my progress

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the floor pan's in. The Flat Out Custom pans were worth every penny. So nice to just trim the pans and be done. No angle cuts, templates or cursing that you got it a little short on the edges LOL. They are a good thickness and look factory.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Raptor Liner the floor pan's and I got to say I really like this stuff. I used the spray gun and a gas compressor but you apparently can roll it on also. Took about 3 bottles to do it.

A video of applying the liner

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Another big leap in the build. Had to drill holes in new body to mount her down.

Had to clearance some of the body by the Napoleon's hat. But other than that it went on easy. Here's a video of the progress

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well I got the dash fiberglass on. Forgot to take pictures but I did video some of it.

Link
[/vimeo]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: