Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s it worth?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I find myself needing to understand the Oval marketplace. I can’t figure out whether the prices here on the samba are fair or high or both. When I look at the classifieds, I’m seeing either nonrunning project cars or completed restorations. Trying to gauge the value of those in between cars.

So what are the values of the more common ovals, like 1956 and 1957 in these different conditions?

Complete car, but a project needing heater channels.

Rolling/running restoration, but fitted with later model parts like the engine and fenders, and needing new pans. Needing paint too.

Rolling/running restoration but complete, but still needing paint and pans.

Mostly complete original car but needs a refresh

Newly restored car

And please, not the “you should be able to find one at my prices if you shop a few years”…or “I bought mine for this five years ago”. I’m talking about a budget minded person who wants a car in the next month or so.

Your opinions matter. Please share them.

Thanks,

Steve
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Popcorn

I have my opinion, but I’ll wait to see what others may say..
I own 3 Ovals, if that matters.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Popcorn

I have my opinion, but I’ll wait to see what others may say..
I own 3 Ovals, if that matters.

Ah, throw it out there. The good thing is if you’re wrong, it will bring in tons of folks to correct you. Wink
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

i saw prices climb from $10/$15K for a complete mostly original driver with older but good paint/restoration, pre-pandemic 2019, to anywhere from $20 to $30K now for the same condition car. rarer, 53 to 55 semaphore ovals, are worth even more.

Last edited by adaysnight on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

If you look at my gallery , I have an all original California 1956 oval window, with all its original equipment, minus a later model tranny ..and an upgraded stainless exhaust…lowered 2” all around..I’d take 22k. To an interested party.
* NOTE this not an ad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Forget watching what things are advertised for, ask what things are selling for. Running cars with incorrect parts and complete cars that need work seem to fall in the 8-14K range. Turn key cars with nice paint, things that you could make better or enjoy as is are usually north of $14K. Of course there are exceptions, but this is cased on what I've seen sold in the last few years on the east coast.
"Pans and channels" is thrown around like it's a simple thing. But it can quickly go to "and front/ rear quarters, A and B pillars" and take things into a +5K repair.
My few cents
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

It is worth, what you are willing to pay for it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

To me it seems there are cars at all price ranges.

Starting at $2500 that need lots of work and incorrect
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2557530

To what ever you want to spend
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Prices are always high on here.

I’ve told the story before…my 54 ended up selling for $18k after being on here and in auctions. This was an original metal car rebuilt top to bottom. Notice I didn’t say restored because I always modify them slightly.

In hind sight I should have parted it out to make more money…the dang front seat frames were $2000

Last edited by txoval on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Wow, that car right there??? ^^^^^^^

Somebody got a great deal.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

You’d think that, but they are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

It was originally listed at $28k like every other Oval on here (and some lesser cars for even more).

What I have found it not many people are willing to pay much more than $15k for a VW

The bottom of the car looked like the top…even original floorpans including the battery area.

Why did I sell that car 🥲

Last edited by txoval on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

TX, when did you sell the car? The reason I ask is in the past year prices have skyrocket…ex: I sold 2 nicely represented 67’s a year ago,in excellent original shape for under 9000 for ea….it seems those same cars are upward of 15/20 k ea…it makes no sense, but it’s whatever the market will bare..or bear? LOL

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

What are you basing the 15/20 now on? If the Samba prices, I wouldn’t bet on them.

My 54 was sold in late 2017😂, but if you even look back then, 53-55 ovals were listed on here for $30-45k
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Good point, though Samba is only platform I can go on..
An acquaintance of mine recently sold his 55 restored ragtop to 40k at Pomona a few months back..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
You’d think that, but they are only worth what someone is willing to pay.
It was originally listed at $28k like every other Oval on here (and some lesser cars for even more).
What I have found it not many people are willing to pay much more than $15k for a VW
The bottom of the car looked like the top…even originally floorpans including the battery area.
Why did I sell that car 🥲

Yeah, that one looked like a keeper. I wholeheartedly identify, about only what someone will pay, it's what I always say. That's why I think most Samba prices are dreamer prices, and many of those sellers will just as soon keep their cars rather than part with it at a loss, that's the part that hurts as a seller, taking a loss.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

Prices have gone crazy here in Australia.

Very subjective though for all the reasons listed above.

Originality is the big one, followed by condition.

54 worth a lot more than 55, 56, 57 but a good oval sells really fast and for good money.

Seems like the classic Beetle is gaining on a split Kombi - now there's a big call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

I can believe it, restorations definitely bring in more money and the ragtop is huge.

My biggest mistake was selling the date matched original rims for my 54.

If I would have kept those and the stock beam, it might have sold for $22-25k

$40k is a lot for a VW though, definitely have to find the right buyer or be lucky

The bigger mistake for me was selling it in the first place
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: What’s it worth? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
The bigger mistake for me was selling it in the first place

That is why I returned to Bugs! Should never had sold that ol 55!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: