Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

unknown wire engine bay
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryMart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

I have an unattached red wire coming from some where in the front of the engine compartment to the area of the left tail light. It is not attached and idk what it is to. The van has A/C which is not running (belt off - idk] might it have something to do with that?

Sorry for the mysteries. I can not get a hold of the PO this week and I had hoped to figure some things out this weekend.

Happy 4th or 1st,

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

the joys of PO wiring (and my own after i forget what i did).

looks like a pretty heavy gauge wire. to be safe, i would at least cover the end of it. sometime later have a look to see what it is connected to.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

What year?
What engine?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

My 88 Wolfsburg has a large red running from the alt to up inside that DS pillar for the AC.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

Today’s a great day to get on your back under the van and see where the other end of
that wire goes ahead of the firewall. Judging by the color and gauge, it could benefit
from a grommet there at the sheet metal to prevent unintended fireworks… Shocked

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

Holy moly--The other end must not be connected, otherwise you would have burned up long ago. Agree with the grommet. Looks like at some point, someone might have had a small inverter/aux battery--charging wire? in front of the DS taillight. Definitely check it out both with a volt meter key off and key on. And do crawl under and find out what it was attached to. If nothing, just remove it, but it sure is scary looking like it is.

Duncan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: unknown wire engine bay Reply with quote

Definitely tape it off or if reasonable remove it. POs love to add stuff and then remove it when they sell the rig, leaving behind the all too often unfused wiring they added just waiting to burn up your new purchase.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: