Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Interior mechanics/physics of a distributor? That's not in my current bank of knowledge .... I need to be schooled.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

On a vacuum and mechanical or mechanical only distributor you set the timing to the mechanical only all in point. 28-30 degrees BTDC. Assuming you have a pulley with the correct marking for TDC and that your distributor vac line or lines are installed correctly under no load it would be expected to see close to 40 degrees at full in throttle.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I know. Idle is at 34-35-° mechanical advance at 850 rpm, I am trying to get 30° max at idle, not up to 35° ar idle. I'm not familiar with adjusting. the limiting tabs at the weights.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
I know. Idle is at 34-35-° mechanical advance at 850 rpm, I am trying to get 30° max at idle, not up to 35° ar idle. I'm not familiar with adjusting. the limiting tabs at the weights.

Wait, 34-35 at idle? Idle should be close to 10-12. What are you reading at 3000rpm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
2type2 wrote:

Wait, 34-35 at idle? Idle should be close to 10-12. What are you reading at 3000rpm?

Ya, it doesn't sound right. I think they've got things mixed up. Here's what they posted earlier. This makes more sense.

2type2 wrote:
...timing light shows 7.5 btdc. Running up to 3400rpm w/ vac plugged-- shows advance at 34°. I'ld like that mechanical total advance to be at 30°, not the 34°.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I think it works more by the oil splashes on top of the drive gear. The nose of the distributor is resting in a pool of oil which reaches the hole no matter which way it faces. From where it gets pumped up the inside of the distributor by a spiral groove in the shaft inside the distributor.

Also the window is a good place to drop the spring into the engine...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Smh.NOT making shit up dude,thanks. Confused working on 2 engines simultaneously , doing same conversions , leading to my miscommunicating.
PROBLEM IS THIS:
Idle at 850 ,dwell at 50, advance at 7.5 btdc----- strobe shows max mechanical advance going to 35° at 34-3500 rpm--vac plugged-----want it at 30° max. Won't idle well if set at other than 7.5 btdc.
I am seeking instruction on readjusting the distributor stops which control the weights, so my max mechanical advance will be at 30°.Overheating is the problem to eliminate.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I would reset your dwell to 44 and recheck your timing.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Dwell at 44, why?That's way low.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

While I always appreciate help and insight ,it often escapes me why people offer suggestions without stating the expected outcome or what the results of any approach would/should be. Just a simple -"here's what you're looking to see happen- or not happen" -would go a long way in being able to grasp the whole concept of where the test or adjustment is leading
I learned to drive in a 63 bug and after screwing around with them for over 45 years on and off ownerships of different ones, I still don't claim to know more than enough to just get me in trouble,and hopefully get me home.¹
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Dwell at 44, why?That's way low.
Totally within spec.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

The outcome of adjusting your dwell is it changes timing. A change of only 0.10 mm (.004 in.) in the point gap will alter ignition timing about 3 degrees.
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
The outcome of adjusting your dwell is it changes timing. A change of only 0.10 mm (.004 in.) in the point gap will alter ignition timing about 3 degrees.

It will alter the ignition timing, but it won't change the amount of mechanical advance provided. This could potentially shift the timing 4 deg, providing the desired 30 deg full advance. But this is only acceptable if 2type2 is okay with 3.5 deg advance at idle. If they adjust it back to 7.5 deg at idle, then they're back to 34 deg total advance.

2type2, give the dwell adjustment a shot, it that's something you can live with then call it a day. If not and you want to adjust the total amount of mechanical advance, I'd recommend searching for a video demonstration on YouTube. VW specific of course.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

What model distributor are you using?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Dist is a "recommended by" cip1 Chinese clone, svda. What am I "living with" by leaving idle timing at 3.5°? As currently set it idles well, yet it won't idle well at all if off of 7.5 btdc.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Dist is a "recommended by" cip1 Chinese clone, svda. What am I "living with" by leaving idle timing at 3.5°? As currently set it idles well, yet it won't idle well at all if off of 7.5 btdc.
I think you could figure a way to limit the advance. Take it apart, you have nothing to loose.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Egads!
Welcome to the Samba..

Remove the distributor,
Strip off the cap, rotor, pull the point plate,
And down in there you will see the advance weight mechanism.
Look carefully and you’ll see two little arms that stick up and limit how far the weights can move.
They are long enough that you can bend them in with needle-nose pliers.
This will limit advance.
Put it back together and check it with your light.

Might take a try or two.

Have fun!

What’s That Noise?!?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Maybe idle speed needs adjusted when you have the advance set correctly
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

“Egads!” Is right! Three pages of discussing setting a dizzy… wtf?
This is one of the easiest things to do, especially on a vw.
Follow what clatter said to limit timing.
Vw doesn’t care where the gear is or which dizzy cap tower is number 1 as long its timed according to #1 cyl.
If your reading 30* advance at idle on an svda then you probably plugged your vacuum can into manifold vacuum.
K.i.s.s. Because it is…
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
“Egads!” Is right! Three pages of discussing setting a dizzy… wtf?
This is one of the easiest things to do, especially on a vw.
Follow what clatter said to limit timing.
Vw doesn’t care where the gear is or which dizzy cap tower is number 1 as long its timed according to #1 cyl.
If your reading 30* advance at idle on an svda then you probably plugged your vacuum can into manifold vacuum.
K.i.s.s. Because it is…

You and Clatter, said the quiet part out loud!
Rolling Eyes < I've been doing this for the last couple days.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: