Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Frustrating to think somebody was so clueless as to maneuvering ability to contact another car... So many cars in the last few years have rear-view and surround view cameras or at least proximity sensors.

I think you mentioned last year that you still have some yellow paint left over from its respray. I suggest lightly sanding the paint around the bare area to feather it and remove the strips that separated from the fender, then apply 2 coats of the yellow paint to the bare area with a narrow artist's brush to avoid surface rust. The black streaks will likely also rub out with some very mild cleaner wax. At least that buys you time until you can do the full repair.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Today at 11:20 a.m. after 2 years & 2 months, and 19,828 odometer miles (21,810.8 if I believe the GPS), the accelerator cable end busted while driving on 395 North.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fortunately traffic was slow and I was able to make my way safely over to the median. Lucky for me it popped at the carb linkage, although I do carry a spare accelerator cable. And, being prepared for just such an eventuality, I clipped the cable back a bit and connected the handy cable extender I keep in my toolkit! On my way in 15 minutes. I'll run w/the extender until the cable pops again. Cool

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buy an HD throttle cable from ACN. You'll never have to wait for the "pop" again.

I use on in my 67. With the correct barrel connector. It fits any of my carb setups. Single or dual.
The cable is 1/8" in diameter.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bulletproof-Throttle-Cable-9-Long-p/bulletproof-throttle-cable-9.htm

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

That would be great - but their ad says it's not in stock and no restorck ETA. Bummer!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
That would be great - but their ad says it's not in stock and no restorck ETA. Bummer!

Check other vendors. I can't remember where I bought my recent cable from. But it is available from others.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

How satisfying to be prepared like that.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
How satisfying to be prepared like that.

Yes!! As soon as I saw that the pedal end of the cable was intact I was high-fiving myself cuz I knew I was prepared. I've been bragging that the car has never left me on the side of the road since rebuilt driving up and down the east coast....maybe I'll keep this "minor incident" our little secret, hehheh.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Another wear & tear item showed up today. I noticed that my oil light was not turning on. Grounding the wire on the case w/the ignition on did *not* cause the light to turn on so I had to dig deeper into the dash and found this -

I tried crimping it on, got out of the car to do it at a spot where I wouldn't lose a piece of it...and of course the spring popped and the plastic piece that I was trying to crimp down flew away into the black hole of my yard, taking the only possible route I hadn't accounted for. Fortunately I didn't lose the spring or the base contact piece that the bulb presses up against, just-so placed electrical tape and voilá oil light works again. Woohoo. We'll see how long it lasts.

My supervisor approves.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and tackled the rotting nose of the hood.

First few spot welds in place.

Initial coat of Duraglass, which was followed by Rage filler and spot filler putty.

The current finished product. Looks great now, but will fade to an ugly off color nose w/in a month. I'll be taking it to my friend Oscar in the fall.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Knocking out welding projects like it ain't no thing at all. Very Happy Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Heheh, right. Took me TWO/DUE/DOS tanks of gas to get that quarter panel on the '74 right enough to get Duraglass on it. That's a lot of welding and grinding!

As for this guy, I knocked out another item on the long-running punch list w/the help of the younger of my two descendants. Replaced this bent/warped passenger side bracket w/a straight original...

Now the hood opens evenly...

and closes w/a very nice line on the cowl. Woohoo!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Looking good Victor!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

At approximately 22,407 miles, I decided to check the linings of the rear brakes because yesterday I had a need for a sudden stop and brakes didn't grab like I felt they should. I started with the right rear, linings look good, definitely out of adjustment so I fixed that. Then I went to the left and voilà - the backing plate along the view and adjustment holes was dark and wet. Taking the plugs off revealed the linings were.fine in terms of thickness but covered in dirty brake fluid. Off with the drum! There went Saturdays plans. Here's what I found:

I've never experienced this type of failure. Shocked Almost looks like I braked so hard at some point that the pistons overrode the top return spring and the seals popped off the cylinder at the end. How I still have brakes is beyond me. Thank god for dual circuit MCs is all I can say. Anyway, the wheel cylinder looked fine but I lost the internal spring so ended up having to replace it. I cleaned the pads with brake cleaner, sanded them to rough them up, and hit them with a torch, cleaned everything else up and reassembled. I bled them with the motive Power bleeder, but they need more using the old school method. Waiting for trusty pedal pumper to get back from the supermarket to fhelp with that, then I'll take it for a test drive around the hood. Hopefully this holds. I'll probably open it again next week to install new return springs.... PLEEEZE don't ask why I didn't just do that now... Rolling Eyes
[UPDATE] Test drive through the hilly neighborhood streets was a complete success. I have the best brakes I've had yet on this car. I'll keep my eye on that backing plate to make sure it stays dry...

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I posted this in the official whine about late model parts thread. I'm reposting here to keep the log of actual maintenance/breakdowns on my daily-driver.

The Flat-4 shifter almost fell apart while driving a couple of days ago. The bolt at the bottom/rear of the shifter worked itself out. I just barely found the gears to get home. Anyway, it's fixed now, tightened and shifts easily w/no grinding reverse when finding 2nd. I had to expand the spring for that fix.

Notice that the boot is ripped at the bottom where the shifter comes thru it.
Build quality on this thing is mediocre although it does shift nicely.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

That shifter looks cool V 😎
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Hey Buggee! It actually shifts super nice. When are we going to see that '72 finally???

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Boy am I glad I asked about your '72! Was just the kick-in-the-pants you needed, right?? Laughing

Seriously thought it looks amazing.

Meanwhile - another wear item to report at 2.5 years on the road as a daily driver. The pin holding the accelerator pivot arm to the pedal cluster worked itself lose this morning on the way to the office. That was annoying. I was able to roll to a safe spot and fortunately quickly find and replace the pin. Hasn't budged since. I didn't notice if the pin had a hole or not for a cotter pin to keep it in place, but I have a spare pin that does. Added it to my on-board parts stash along w/a suitable cotter pin for a later repair. These cold short days don't make for easy repairs in hard to reach interior spaces.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I'm catching up! Looking forward to being on the road and wearing out parts Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Yeah, speaking of being on the road and wearing out parts, I'm tempting the fates again this weekend. Headed down to Miami from metro DC this weekend for 2 weeks...tomorrow to Altamonte Springs, FL, then Sunday the rest of the way to Miami.

See ya on the road!!!

Yellow 181 Yellow 181 Dancing

GO FINS!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I'm jealous and already looking forward to your glamor shots.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 51

Jump to: