Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI IMP Project
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allslipnogrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

Hello to everybody that opens this post up. Bought this body with very little backstory on it from a man deep in the Florida heartlands that also didn't really know a lot about it-- but the internet's a hell of a resource! It's an IMP and between the gas tank and the speedometer I'm pretty sure it was last slapped onto an earlier 60s pan.

I've got a 76 non-super sitting in my backyard with an ugly body but a solid pan that is going to be sacrificed for it eventually- at least, that's the plan.

Gonna spend the quarantine working on it, might sell it if someone bites but I know it's not a Manx so it's a passion project for sure. Does anyone know if there's still badges for this kind of kit floating around??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

You look to have a very nice unmolested (as long as the rear is as good as the front) 1970+ Empi Imp, not a Manx as you say but every bit as desirable if original or sympathetically restored. VW even chose the Imp as THE buggy to display in their museum in Wolfsburg, Germany. There was once even a plan to sell Imps as turnkey cars through VW dealers in Europe that unfortunately never happened. VW's original set of chassis shortening instructions were written specifically for the Imp (12" chop iirc).

This is a thread about stickers/badges that should still be valid as I think most of the posters are still on the forum.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630855

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

allslipnogrip wrote:
Hello to everybody that opens this post up. Bought this body with very little backstory on it from a man deep in the Florida heartlands that also didn't really know a lot about it-- but the internet's a hell of a resource! It's an IMP and between the gas tank and the speedometer I'm pretty sure it was last slapped onto an earlier 60s pan.

I've got a 76 non-super sitting in my backyard with an ugly body but a solid pan that is going to be sacrificed for it eventually- at least, that's the plan.

Gonna spend the quarantine working on it, might sell it if someone bites but I know it's not a Manx so it's a passion project for sure. Does anyone know if there's still badges for this kind of kit floating around??

That is a great body and in beautiful shape for it's age.
If I were you I would give it a good wash and roll with it the way it is.
It will be a nice time machine and after all the body is just the shell. Build a quality running gear and you can have a dependable ride for a very long time.

My buggy is nothing to look at as far as the paint goes since it's the original patina but I love it as is and I never worry about it sitting somewhere. No one has ever messed with it in the 15 plus years and 70,000 miles its been on the road.

Carefully clean the tag off and maybe drill the old rivets out so you can clean behind it. Then install new rivets with a flat washer to cover the rust damage on the tag. Either that or get a rivet with a wide head on it.
I'm sure that gel coat can be restored and there are guys on here that can tell you exactly what to do to make it look its beat again.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allslipnogrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

Here's the rear of the IMP. It's pretty in tact save for the .. massacred engine cover thing. I'm not really sure what went on there, because I can't see any hinge mounting points or even places where something like that might have been drilled into place. I think the cuts were clean enough that it can be salvaged and put back together pretty straight on. The only shortening instructions I've found (that aren't forum threads) are the MANX ones I'm pretty sure, I was going off the assumption that it'd be a 14" shortening too so thanks for the heads up haha

I've got the original roll bar but it's not in any of the pictures, I've been sanding it to get as much rust as I can off it without digging in deep. But it's there!

The green gelcoat paint is really striking, even with how dirty and unloved it's been for lord knows how long. I'll sift through the paint topics to see what's what, and after the day's over I'll post what I can get the tag to look like. Was considering using a rotary tool instead of a drill but we'll see what works best soon! Appreciate the interest!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

With the tag just carefully wash it off with soap and water to see what it does. I wouldn't use any wire wheel or rotary tool on it.
You might not get it perfect but you will maintain it's glamor and glory.
With the back just leave it as is for now. It was probably cut for easier access to the engine and I'm sure you will find it will be easier to work on it with that piece hinged or removable.
Work with what you got.

This is what I started with back in 2002.

I just washed and scrubbed it with soap and water and it's been that way since. I'm more interested in the engine part of it so that's where I do my upgrades.
Here it is this past summer on it's second 3500 mile round trip to California for the Manx Club Big Bear Meet in Bear Bear Lake.

It's nothing fancy but it will go anywhere......quite quickly too with the turbo on it...... Wink

Build yourself a driver.....you can get many years of enjoyment out of it.
I like driving and working on it but there is nothing like being able to just get in it and take it anywhere without worrying about it breaking down.
That why you build a quality running gear.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

allslipnogrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

It's nothing fancy but it will go anywhere......quite quickly too with the turbo on it...... Wink

After some careful scrubbing and soap it's perfectly legible. Your buggy looks like a riot. Can't imagine what a turbo on something so light must drive like! Donor's got a 1600 with dual carbs that runs like a top so my focus is going to be on sorting out the rest first. Still a laundry list of stuff to find and do but I'm content knowing it'll get there one day at a time. Will post pics of the pan once it's all cleaned up, hopefully before the weekends up, (Not that it matters in COVID time Confused )
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

Wash the whole body and post up some pics of it. I'll bet that thing will pop!!!

There are a couple guys on here or in the Manx Club that know how to restore Gelcoat. They might come around and read this if you continue posting your work on this or a dedicated build page.

I have my build page on a different forum..at least the turbo part. It's in my sig.

I suggest getting the pan cleaned up and shortened. There is a build by "Joescoolcustoms" that has quite a bit of detail on how to do the pan work. Start with that and put some quality brakes on it along with rebuilt suspension components. The rest is just bolt on stuff.
Use other builds as ideas and make them your own. All you need to do is please yourself if you plan on driving it.

I've been to the Big Bear Meet twice and the coolest thing is seeing 225 plus buggies and each one is different....built for the owner's purpose and how they like it, even though they might be the same name brand of buggy.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Brother Jon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

That's a great find; the body looks to be in really good shape. It seems most Imps got that notch treatment for engine access. Mine did and I hated the look of the piano hinge and latches. I bonded it back for a much cleaner look. Behind the license plate I cut an access port one inch smaller all around. It's more of a viewing port than access, but I can reach up underneath like a gynecologist and see what I am doing. I can service the carb, change filter and cables and everything I need without pulling body or engine. My Imp was a 12" cut to shorten.
VolksWatson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

Any progress on your build? I started one as well, and need some inspiration!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickbing34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IMP Project Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring a 70+ model. Unfortunately I do not have a tag or any number or anything to confirm it is an actual Imp. However, it does have where the plaque was, have a tach well in the hood ,and rear seats. But here is my real dilemma, there are no “ humps” where the badges should go. And no “Empi circle” behind where the front license plate would go. Is there anyone out there that have an explanation as to why?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: