Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocotlán
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US Reply with quote

I have been entertaining the idea of driving a Brasilia from southern Mexico to the US, where I would import and register it. There is a dual purpose to the trip: It seems like a fun adventure, but also one where a later sale of the car in the US could pay for gas and other trip expenses.

Brasilias are relatively common here in somewhat rough condition at $2,000 to $3,000 asking prices, then more like $4,000 to $7,000 in better kept/restored condition (but typically not restored to US standards of detail). What I have observed online in the US is that very well preserved/restored Brasilias seem to be sold with some frequency at $10,000+ prices; what I haven't been able to work out is if anyone would pay a meaningful amount of cash for a vehicle that is more of a driver.

The below car could work out if sold for $8,000 in the US, but is there actually interest there in such a vehicle? Any observations would be much appreciated. I have considered doing the same with a Thing, bus, or bug, but like that Brasilias are more of a novelty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US Reply with quote

Obviously, there are limitations in judging a car by pics only. That said, I think the one you're showing could fetch $10,000 in the states, assuming it had a clean US title. Some states don't have necessarily titles with vintage cars, and that could cause a rub with potential buyers in other states.

The Brasilia is an interesting offering regardless if it's Mexican or Brazilian in origin. Ones that are advertised at $12,000 and higher fall into two categories. They are either very original or extensively restored. Or the seller has watched too many TV shows and has had too many adult beverages.

Either way, these sellers are going to be knee deep in the waiting game because potential buyers are likely interested in collecting the car, not enjoying it as it was meant to be enjoyed. Finding such a buyer can be troublesome because there's not much there from an investment point of view. A Brasilia is an oddity in the US, but it is far from rare and is only historic only from a VW point of view. It's a Point A to Point B type of car.

The one you have pictured is not completely original. The radio has changed and so has two of the gauges. That's not a big deal, but it does detract from its originality -- and that's also assuming the car has a simple one- or two-owner history fully documented.

However, for someone who wants a really nice oddity and is happy to pay a premium for a lovely example that someone else dealt with importing and registering, the one pictured will have an audience. I personally like the gauges (assuming they function properly), and the radio can be replaced if it's not up to snuff.

If fetching $8-10,000 makes it worthwhile, I think you would be a successful wheel dealer.

I'll add one caveat without any political bent intended ... the economy has been heading south and will continue to do so. Middle class baby boomers are retired or closing in on retirement, and the current economy has hit them or has them pumping the brakes at the very least. This is your likely market. Richer people will want collector cars with more meat and can pay the price to get what they want. Younger middle class collectors aren't going to relate as easily to an air-cooled car from the '70s.

The above caveat isn't meant to say don't do it, but are you okay with the prospect that it may take a little while?
Ocotlán
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US Reply with quote

Thank you for the thoughts. They are informative.

I get the impression that a clean air-cooled Mexican bus/combi from the mid-´70s/´80s may be easier to sell at some point, even in a downturn, due to broader market appeal. They are more expensive, unfortunately, which makes the calculation a bit more stressful, given the lack of market information for those vehicles.
turbodad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US Reply with quote

This is the kind of car I'm looking for. Not restored but a nice driver. I don't care if it's 100% original, as long as it's close. There are none of these in my area (NW US) and I'd love to show up at a C+C with one.
8-10k is the range I've been looking for too.
There is a seller who posts several Brazilian VW's in the classifieds named "Upstream Trading" and he often has Brasilia's for sale, but I've not heard of anyone buying a car from him so I can't really pull the trigger on sending some random dude a bank wire for 10k.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Brasilia to Import to the US Reply with quote

There’s a Brasilia for sale from 911GT1 samba seller. It’s in Brazil, also. What’s fishy with his adds is that he lists a different state location for every add. Probably to make his cars seem more accessible. But, still fishy.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: