Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door side hinges pulled out
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

I have a really good rust free door from a Typ1 68 which has sustained damage to the door side hinges. The top one has one of the rivet heads come loose from the door body. I assume this isn’t critical as the hinge itself is attached to the support plate inside the door.

Should I give it a small tack weld so that it doesn’t separate any more

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second shows the lower hinge. I had to remove the hinge completely due to other issues. The rivet holes in the door are much bigger than for the head of the original rivet. I am going to replace the rivets with 8mm countersunk screws but the heads will be smaller than the holes.

How do I fix this? Is it a cut and paste a new piece of metal and redrill or should I insert the new bolts and weld the gap closed? Or some other idea?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

What if you put a counter sunk screw through it backwards and welded that in?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

On the 54, I welded in new steel, then dimpled the metal with a taper head screw. Worked great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

I gave up on trying to repair it. The metal was too thin so I’m currently grafting in a complete inner rear section complete with the hinge. It should work out ok.

However I tried to get some countersunk screws to fit the upper hinge but these remain too “proud” of the frame. I can’t seem to find M8 countersunk screws which have a narrow enough head angle. The standard M8 bottoms out on the dimpled hole before the top of the head becomes flat.

I don’t think I can enlarge the hole any more than it is as the metal will be too thin and the hinge may pull loose bringing me back to where I started with.

Does anyone have a part number or solution to this so the head of the bolt remains flush like the original rivet? I know I could get it machined but no one is interested in doing a few bolts so I was hoping I could buy something ready made.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

If you look at the McMaster Carr website, you should be able to find screws that will fit. I think you want to get screws with a different countersink angle. Variables you will need to select are stainless steel versus other alloys, phillips head or torx, screw size and length. With all these variables I can't give you a part number.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

Or you can buy rivets. In the classified section there are ads for those rivets. Super easy to install with the door off the car!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Door side hinges pulled out Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
If you look at the McMaster Carr website, you should be able to find screws that will fit. I think you want to get screws with a different countersink angle. Variables you will need to select are stainless steel versus other alloys, phillips head or torx, screw size and length. With all these variables I can't give you a part number.

I'm in Australia so they wouldn't ship under the price of a new kidney. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: