Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Just had my 69 Beatle convertible towed home. Was at a friends house parked on fairly steep incline. Went to leave and the engine was locked up. Battery was strong but wouldn’t turn over. Wouldn’t pop start. Could smell the gas. Eventually would turn over with a puddle of gas under the car. Just pulled the dip stick and the case is full of gas. Any suggestions on what’s wrong? Has been difficult to start before when warm but this is a first.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Sounds like gas ran down the intake manifold from the carburetor thru the manifold and valve and hydraulic locked the engine. Drain the oil and add new oil then remove the spark plugs and try to crank the motor . Make sure you disable the ignition.When you say pop start does that mean push start . That can bend a connecting rod. Good luck
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Park nose downhill. In the future.

Drain your engine oil.
Pull the sparkplugs and crank the engine to blow out the fuel trapped in the cylinders. Do this briefly. Make sure to remove the power supply wire from the + side of the coil. Before cranking. It's gonna be a mess.
Add fresh oil.
Install new sparkplugs, reconnect the coil power to the + side and fire it up.

Gravity overwhelmed your carb fuel cutoff valve. Allowing fuel to flow into the cylinder(s) and then past the piston rings. Hydro locking the engine.

Tree'd by vwoldbug!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EdR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. I’ll do all of the above. But is this “normal”. Is there a float valve that got stuck open or something else that is worn or stuck that would allow fuel to run into the cylinders like that? I can’t imagine when the car was new it would have done that. I just want to make it as right as it can get.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Beetles came from the factory with fuel pumps which had an integrated fuel cutoff valve (i.e. Pierburg mechanical fuel pumps, up through about 1971), or a separate cutoff valve in the fuel line before the carburetor (after 1971, I think). Modern aftermarket fuel pumps often do not have any sort of fuel cutoff valve, so your carburetor could possibly "flood" with one of those, if parked facing uphill on a sufficiently steep incline (i.e. gas tank fuel level above carburetor float valve level, inducing gravity feeding).

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Had the problem with warm weather the fuel (probably E10) would push the float shut off valve carb open flooding the engine. Installed a second gasket to move the float valve that much lower so the float pushes harder against the valve, and no more problem.
EdR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Good stuff. Thank you. I also did some reading/investigation of the idle shut off valve on the carb. Based on the description of what it does (shuts off fuel when the key is off) at jbugs I was hoping that was the problem. But seems to be working fine. Clicks when I tap the connector against it. Maybe I can get an aftermarket valve to put after the fuel pump that opens with the key on.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

EdR wrote:
Good stuff. Thank you. I also did some reading/investigation of the idle shut off valve on the carb. Based on the description of what it does (shuts off fuel when the key is off) at jbugs I was hoping that was the problem. But seems to be working fine. Clicks when I tap the connector against it. Maybe I can get an aftermarket valve to put after the fuel pump that opens with the key on.

It only shuts off fuel coming through the idle circuit of the carb, it has no effect on fuel running into the carb because the fuel level in the float bowl is too high.
Rebuilt Pierburg fuel pumps with the integral shutoff valve are readily available.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

The fuel cutoff is more for anti-dieseling prevention as has been mentioned.

In fact my Euro 68 never had one fitted as compared to North American cars. Probably due to different timing to comply with local pollution requirements.

Also never had any issues with the parking nose down anywhere. Again fitted with an original Pierburg with a rebuild kit in it.

So moral is be very aware of after market parts.
EdR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

Aha! Starting to make sense now. Sounds like a re built pierburg fuel pump is in my near future. Thanks!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

I wonder how many people have problems after buying an old VW and just give up when they don’t work and call them pieces of sh*t.

The sad fact is that the car was wonderfully designed and built but is now let down by visually identical poorly made parts.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Crank case full of gas after parking on a hill Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I wonder how many people have problems after buying an old VW and just give up when they don’t work and call them pieces of sh*t.

The sad fact is that the car was wonderfully designed and built but is now let down by visually identical poorly made parts.
Most of what I've seen through the years isn't even poor parts...as much as poor band aid maintenance using the wrong, or mismatched parts. So many of these cars are cobbled together and it takes time and research to get them back to where they need to be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: