Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 665, 666, 667 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
So pulled the motor back out, expecting the throw out bearing to be toast…nah, it was fine. So pulled the pressure plate off and was greeted with this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is not normal Shocked

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
So pulled the motor back out, expecting the throw out bearing to be toast…nah, it was fine. So pulled the pressure plate off and was greeted with this.

this is not normal Shocked

I can tell you it makes some *very* abnormal noises and strange jerking and jumping in the drivetrain.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Took the 65 subhatch on a 75 mile shakedown run today after pulling the tranny to put a new nosecone and hockey stick on it. It didn’t leak a drop anywhere

Some pics of the original nosecone I removed off it. Two rebuilds ago a new shift rod seal was installed on the nosecone, which didn’t help at all. I suspect the nosecone has a crack somewhere, and I’m just not seeing it. But after looking at it very closely, the shop that rebuilt the trans sure did beat that seal up installing it onto the nose cone. Also looks like it was grinded on on the inside where the plenum up to the vent hole starts.

Either way, it ain’t leaking now. Whew…..if you want the job done right , do it yourself.

dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I took my engine to the dyno for a tune up.

And I got a roommate for the bus. They went to different schools together.

The Cub sat on a showroom for 30 + years and then at the Grandson's home for another 20 years or so. 234 miles on the speedo and its has not run since 2005.
Rotten rubber, but the tires hold air!!

Whitworh wrenches anyone?

dgsaz
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Took the 65 subhatch on a 75 mile shakedown run today after pulling the tranny to put a new nosecone and hockey stick on it. It didn’t leak a drop anywhere

Some pics of the original nosecone I removed off it. Two rebuilds ago a new shift rod seal was installed on the nosecone, which didn’t help at all. I suspect the nosecone has a crack somewhere, and I’m just not seeing it. But after looking at it very closely, the shop that rebuilt the trans sure did beat that seal up installing it onto the nose cone. Also looks like it was grinded on on the inside where the plenum up to the vent hole starts.

Either way, it ain’t leaking now. Whew…..if you want the job done right , do it yourself.

Awesome you got it sorted out! Ya that seal looks smashed. Shocked

IIRC, only the later nosecones used that seal, might be 67 and later??? not sure. The earlier ones had a brass bushing. They weep slightly. More so if worn. not really enough to bother you if fresh. I could look up the change in PR or a parts list, but not bothered right now. I'm thinking maybe 65 is too earlier for that type seal??? The leak could have something to do with that???

edit: see Feb 1966:

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

Awesome you got it sorted out! Ya that seal looks smashed. Shocked

IIRC, only the later nosecones used that seal, might be 67 and later??? not sure. The earlier ones had a brass bushing. They weep slightly. More so if worn. not really enough to bother you if fresh. I could look up the change in PR or a parts list, but not bothered right now. I'm thinking maybe 65 is too earlier for that type seal??? The leak could have something to do with that???

edit: see Feb 1966:

Thanks for the info, Clara. Your theory about that newer seal installed on an older nosecone may be valid. I appreciate it.

I wonder if the hockey stick changed any with the addition of the rubber seal?

This poor bus vomited gear oil out the nosecone profusely anytime over 57-60 mph. Not just a little oozing that stays on the hockey stick. I mean like enough to create a white smoke cloud behind the bus as it belched out and hit the exhaust pipes. When I had the trans rebuilt, I elected for a 4:12 R&P, to get the rpm’s down a little, but not a 3:88 But the bus could still very comfortably cruise at 65 mph So it sucked having to stay at 55 on nice flat roads where the bus could do 65 easily.

Not sure what year the nose cone was, but this is the part number, pic below. I’m inclined to think this transmission is original to the bus. Also note where someone did some grinding to the inside of the nosecone at some point, maybe trying to let it “breathe” better? Well, it didn’t help lol. And for what it’s worth, there are still copper or bronze bushings up in the tube the hockey stick slides in, and the hockey stick doesn’t wobble in there.

The Wolfsburg West one doesn’t look like the original, and is made by Omega, whoever that is. But works fine, and doesn’t leak. I pushed it hard yesterday and couldn’t even provoke it to leak.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally got my single cab back on its wheels and (hopefully) operable again.

My 'couple of day' axle seal and handbrake refresh job that I started at the end of February ended up taking three-and-a-half months thanks to Covid (out of action for six weeks), leaky brake cylinders, and a three week wait for a £3.00 pack of tiny, but surpisingly critical rivets Confused

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Building a 2332cc motor leaving in the 1968cc for driving.

I have gotten pretty far but awaiting Tim’s Stage 2 heads and waiting to order a few other expensive parts, like carbs and exhaust. Taking care of the block, and just got head studs and oil fittings and some tins in the mail.

Learned that carb cleaner dissolves Permatex Aviation like a charm

Here is the 2332:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally got the OG safaris restored and installed. I used the VW shop instructions and installed the threaded plate for the windows to screw into. The threaded plates allow for much appreciated adjustment. I also used some of the rubber window seal sold by Wolfgang to make seals strips between the hinge and bus body. Worked out great. Because my bus is not m-coded for safaris I installed them as if a dealership installed them, screws rather than welding in the slider brackets. Took about half a day to get them in.

Unfortunately I needed to drill out the original set screws in the safari frames but threaded the holes one size larger for M4 oval head flat tip screws just like the original but one size larger. Keep as much original L87 paint and applied some faux patina to the new paint.

Next on the list is to try and rebuild a BN4 heater. 😃

-Rich

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The method where you slice at the top of the center pillar? Your install looks factory to me.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL

Was considering a cold chisel per the VW instructions, but decided to use a small Dremel cutting wheel insted. Made the hole as small as possible. Used a small drill in each corner and then cut from hole to hole.

Also, I didn't use the tacked on welding wire as a guide, I just used a pick to match the plate with the holes. Very easy really.

-Rich
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Took her down to Wolfgang, Ralph went through steering, noted it was the sloppiest center pin he’s ever replaced. Replaced a bent tie rod. Greased it all up. Checked brakes and adjusted the pedal, fixed the air cleaner shenanigans from the PO. Lastly he fixed all the messed up shifter bushing front to rear, man were they messed up. Can’t believe it actually shifts in a actual pattern and not micro movements Confused
Joe installed the safaris I bought a few months back. Now it’s road worthy, runs great.

Next is a door hinge repair, rockers and a battery box, then I need to install the interior I picked up from Clara at bugo (thanks) and the hump seat cover kit from Corey at bugo (thanks)

70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Had an interesting problem with vapor lock and heat sink making the car not start once hot. Engine compartment seemed hotter than normal, but oil temps were normal. BUT I have an external oil cooler - making oil temps good.

But then I found a split on my fan belt, and it was shiny and slipping - so the air cooling was not 100%, and that probably made heads and exhaust pretty hot.

Long story short, I replaced the fan belt and advanced the timing by about a degree or two, and the problem “seems” to be solved.

Still learning stuff every day on this split bus…

2332 Torque Motor Build

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

How's your fuel line routing? If it touches the head or manifold it will boil there and vapor lock on a hot start.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

melville wrote:
How's your fuel line routing? If it touches the head or manifold it will boil there and vapor lock on a hot start.

They don’t touch the heads or manifolds, but the fan belt was slipping and about to go, and so I think everything was heating up too much. After replacing the fan belt, it seems to have fixed the issue - but I will find out today and tomorrow if the vapor lock reoccurs.

My new motor will have hard fuel lines behind the shroud, and the filter outside the compartment.

2332 Torque Motor Build

icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This panel project is approaching completion finally!

1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

always like this color on panels. No just wait 20 years to get the perfect patina to start.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally acquired a rear seat for the Kombi.
I have had a full width Z Bed in there since commissioning the bus, but I don't camp in the bus, so no real reason to have the Z Bed.
Much more practical to have a proper rear seat.

The PO evidently had a somewhat different idea than I of what bus appropriate upholstery consists of, but ....... thank goodness we don't all think the same!!

I think I'll have to throw a blanket over it though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Another instalment in the never ending saga of every bus owner:
Drive it, break it, fix it - repeat.

Number four exhaust valve spring decided to quit it's job.
driving out to the shop in rush hour traffic.
(Rush hour traffic takes many forms here - one is fully 1/3 of the city population empyying out to drive to the mountains daily in the summer)

Fortunately, have a well stocked (parts and knowledge) VW shop in town and my good brother Fred, so the bus was only out of commission for a couple days.
New spring, adjust all valves, purrs like a lynx!!

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Replaced right rear wheel bearings (IRS-converted with Type 1 Rancho Pro Street Trans & 944 Porsche rear trailing arms) Greasy job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 665, 666, 667 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 666 of 680

Jump to: