Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition key sticks
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdelhamid.amr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

I have a standard 1972 bug that I recently fully restored
I change the ignition switch cylinder and the electrical switch in the process
Now intermittently, the ignition switch goes in and then won't turn and i have to try for a very long time (last time 80 min.) until the switch finally twists and I can start the car
I was almost stranded 100km away from home last week.
What do u suggest I should do give that I have new cylinder and new switch
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

How's the condition of the key?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abdelhamid.amr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

The key is brand new as well as the cylinder and switch
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

abdelhamid.amr wrote:
Now intermittently, the ignition switch goes in and then won't turn and i have to try for a very long time (last time 80 min.) until the switch finally twists and I can start the car

Were you wiggling the steering wheel as you were trying to turn the key?

We don't even know if 1972 in Egypt would have steering lock !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Were you wiggling the steering wheel as you were trying to turn the key?

We don't even know if 1972 in Egypt would have steering lock !!!

I know what Cusser is describing here. After you turn off the ignition and pull out the key... you rotate the steering wheel some and feel the ignition cylinder locking bolt engage with the steering shaft. You actually feel the wheel trying to rotate back from where it was but it cannot because the bolt is locking it. The steering shaft is applying pressure to the locking bolt and causing it to bind. The locking bolt is extending out the top of the lock assembly in the pic below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you return to the car and insert the key, you cannot rotate the key or you can only partially rotate the key. The locking bolt being held under pressure makes it impossible.
To unlock the ignition switch you need to rotate the steering wheel/shaft to take the pressure off the locking bolt so the key is able to retract the bolt. Only then will you be able to turn the key far enough to reach the ON and START positions.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
abdelhamid.amr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

I know how to wiggle the steering wheel to free-up the lock. This is not the case. It is jammed no matter what I do. It is an intermittent issue.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

Sounds like an issue with mating surfaces of the key drum components.

The mechanical portion of “NEW” switches are not as smooth as the OG.

Recommend removing the tumbler and polishing the mating surfaces to remove any casting slag and smooth the surfaces. This would include the mating surface of the steering lock, if so equipped.

You should be able to see what rubs what and go from there.

Good luck.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

It could also be an internal failure in the electrical portion of the switch. There are springs and detent balls in there. The plastic can crack and then jam the rotation.

You may want to take the time to test the electrical switch outside the assembly and make sure the movement is smooth. Check the movement of the key cylinder in the assembly and the action of the locking bolt. A spray of silicone lubricant could help to smooth the action out.

Also check that the end of the "pin" that extends from the cylinder into the electrical portion has the proper shape. Different model years came with different shapes for this pin.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

As everyone above has suggested, best to remove the lock and try it on the bench. Chances are, if it's new, depending on the quality, there could be burrs on the new lock tumblers, or the key isn't perfectly matched if it's one of the newer 'double sided' keys.

If it is one of the newer locks, try it with the key inserted in one direction, then take the key out, turn it through 180 degrees and try again. If it's fine in one direction but not the other, put a mark on the key so you know which is the best way to insert it into the lock.

If you notice any issues with smoothness, take the electrical portion off and retry. From there you should know if there are any issues with the new lock, and from there you can decide whether to return/replace it (best idea if there are issues with the electrical portion), take it to bits and deburr the lock plungers, or if it's only sticking a bit, live with it until the key / lock have 'worn in'.

If it's 100% smooth on the bench, chances are either the section on the steering column it engages with are burred / rusted / damaged (most likely if you had to replace the lock because the old one had been forced), or it's the wrong lock for the car.
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition key sticks Reply with quote

I have a similar issue, and thought that I'd chime in in case others did too. My ignition switch seems to work fine, but the key reminder portion of it is stuck. In order to make the key reminder 'stop' buzzing, I have to wiggle and turn the key in the ignition switch, over and over, until finally the cylinder pops outs and the buzzing stops. This gets old real fast.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: