Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Big Bore '40hp' build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Very nice build. Nice attention to detail and lots of cool parts.

Can I ask what oil pump/pump cover/filter head/oil cooler you are running? It looks like there is a sandwich plate between the filter head and oil filter but I can't be sure. If there is what brand of sandwich plate is it.

Are you still running the stock in shroud or doghouse cooler and did you have your engine block drilled and tapped for full flow? I imagine you would have had to, but wanted to ask.

Do you have anymore photos of your oil lines and plumbing? Sorry for the 1 billion questions, but your engine is too interesting for me not to ask!

Thanks in advance,

Ted
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Thanks, it's taken too long to get to this stage.

It's such a long drawn out build, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the pump is a *correction* aluminium 26mm with some porting work, as the outlet is bypassed to go through the full flow cover plate, which is steel. I modified the standard (original case) for full flow to a local oil filter plate (I think it's mocal) with sandwich plate. Oil lines go to the remote cooler with fan. I've also included a temperature switch on the return line from the cooler, so the fan will only come on if the cooler is overwhelmed.
I changed the fan housing to the doghouse type. I'm also running the smaller engine pulley. I get a better photo up soon.
Engine temp seems to stay around 180F, but I'm taking it easy at the moment.

Last edited by jasengine on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

I've had some issues with the fuel pipe and filter connections leaking, so I've invested in some nice ptfe lined stainless steel hoses with AN fitting and filter.

I was also getting oil leaking around the Scat pushrod tubes at the head end. I discovered the ends of the tubes protruded past the seal and was hard up against the head, which meant the seals were not being pressed against the sealing surface in the head. So I had to shorten the pushrods so the tubes were flush with the end of the seals: No leaks now Very Happy

Better view of oil filter, sandwich plate and rocker cover oil drain return line (Oil tends to be biased to this side due the crank rotation).
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

I've been doing some road testing lately and its an absolute blast! Not the quickest obviously, but it is so much fun. The handling is awesome 🤩

I noticed after a good hard run that the section of foam engine seal had got pulled/pushed out of place. So I thought maybe the extra breathing of the twin Dellotos and higher revs possible was sucking the foam out....na surely not...?!!

Engine temp seemed to level out at about 200 deg F, but that's a VDO gauge, so probably not that accurate. I had some deck lid stand-offs kicking about, so I thought I would fit them and see what changed...
What a difference! Engine temp. is about 10 or so degrees cooler and the foam stayed in place! Its got a power pulley too 😮
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Bit of an update:

500+ miles done and time for an oil and filter change. Changing to the Millers 10w30 pistoneeze oil next.

The standard 1200 clutch slips if flooring the throttle in 4th, so I will be fitting a HD 180mm pressure plate and new friction disc.

Top speed seems to be an indicated 95mph, maybe a bit more, at 4000rpm. The C25 cam is happy to 4000rpm, so I don't expect to get much extra rpm, although I think the distributor is not pulling full advance and needs adjusting.
The stock 1200 (1192cc) 1:1 rockers are installed, so there is an opportunity to install 1:1.25 ratio rockers!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Great build on a really nice bug. What jetting do you have now? Do you plan on tuning in the future?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

I think the mains are 115 ( I think), idle jet 55. I will have to check.
1.25:1 radio rockers next, as its got 1:1 at the moment.

Old pressure plate

Heavy-duty pressure plate installed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: