Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

I have looked at both threads but I don't like rubber band tyres and need to keep the bus low enough to get under the garage door.
Looking for plenty of sidewall and All Terrain tyres if possible. Have both 14 and 15" steels available.
Look forward to seeing pic's if you think your bus fits the description.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

all terrain tires on a bus with flipped spindles? aint gunna happen...

this bus has only flipped spindles and a straight axle in the rear (lowering a reduction box trans is a bad idea)

195/60r15 in front and 205/65r15 in the rear. I don't see how (or would want to) you could stuff any larger tires under it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

That looks great, what width and offset are those wheels? Thanks for replying
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

I swapped around so many tires to get where "I" needed to go. (Sled helped)
A good idea would be to swap an IRS into your bus, some use straight axles. RGB's, no I would not attempt it, besides your options go up with an IRS and it's not hard to do. I did not change the beam, I changed the wheels.

15" modified Bug wheels F/R w IRS
I used 15" x 5.5" wheels and moved the center section outboard, then re welded and trued the wheels with way better welds. Safer to use wider wheels for the wider tires, and 15's you have more choices in rubber.Super low profile sucks when driving, a bus is bad enough as is, but when I slapped on some genuine oil Koni's the world changed 205/65 & 195/55 currently(that will change, again). The wheels are pushed out nearly 3/4" off center, they are CIP1 re pops-love it.
The part I don't understand is All Terrain and flipped spindles, may I be the first to say"WTF?" If you're worried about bottom end by keeping the RGB's-Ok, but lower? Get a bigger motor, or two buses is even better.I wouldn't do that to a Jeep.Have no idea where you are going.
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

I previously owned a Transporter T6 running on General Grabbers with a subtle 40mm drop and it looked and handled great. The drop also meant it would get in car parks etc.

If I can just drop my Splitty an inch or so that should suffice however I didn't think an adjustable beam was good and the flipped spindle is the most cost effective lowering option (however it will be lower than I want unless the spindle can be rewelded at any distance from original?)

I don't intend offroading however the roads are really poor around here and I can't be doing with dodging pot holes, speed bumps, etc.

Thanks for your reply, I like the look of the two busses so the compromise on AT tyres for something with a bit of sidewall should be ok.
EasyNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

sled wrote:
all terrain tires on a bus with flipped spindles? aint gunna happen...

this bus has only flipped spindles and a straight axle in the rear (lowering a reduction box trans is a bad idea)

195/60r15 in front and 205/65r15 in the rear. I don't see how (or would want to) you could stuff any larger tires under it.

Stance looks perfect to my eye. You have to narrow the front beam to accommodate your tire size?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

that is not my bus in the photos, but a friend of mines old bus. No, the beam is not narrowed. Stock bus wheels in the front
EasyNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

thanks Sled!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

SunburntLobster wrote:
I previously owned a Transporter T6 running on General Grabbers with a subtle 40mm drop and it looked and handled great. The drop also meant it would get in car parks etc.

If I can just drop my Splitty an inch or so that should suffice however I didn't think an adjustable beam was good and the flipped spindle is the most cost effective lowering option (however it will be lower than I want unless the spindle can be rewelded at any distance from original?)

I don't intend offroading however the roads are really poor around here and I can't be doing with dodging pot holes, speed bumps, etc.

Thanks for your reply, I like the look of the two busses so the compromise on AT tyres for something with a bit of sidewall should be ok.

Adjustable beam for just an inch is fine. Before narrowed beams and flipped spindles everyone used adjusters or just straight up removed some torsion bars (not recommended) Lowering the rear a spline to get an inch is fine. You might want a stiffer shock like a GR2 / excel on the front and KYB white on the back if you insist on tall tires, to keep from rubbing on corners, bumps you don't want to dodge, etc
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest meats on std beam, flipped spindles and lowered RGB Reply with quote

I seem to have the 63 'special' spindle with the 20mm link pin and late drum brakes so it may cost me dear to have one made.

I think the beam option may be the best because I would be quite happy to keep it standard(ish) height with A/T tyres.

Do you know if the beam changed in 1963 because I would like to pick one up that is already converted.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: