Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rite of Vanagon passage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Van not starting at gas station seems to be a rite of passage for new vanagon owners.

First thing you'll probably do is read a gowesty article about how old our starters are and give them some money.

Then you'll probably read an article about why you need to give van Cafe money for a relay kit .

Then you'll read a samba post about how bad your grounds are and proceed with cleaning all of them.

Stop the madness before it even starts and learn voltage drop testing.

Watch this front to back, twice if you have to and take notes.

Link

Then next time you read some comment about vanagon syndrome or some other arm chair mechanics post you can roll your eyes with the rest of us that actually know!

This was a public notice message from a vanagon owner who was there once too (with a pile of starter hacks in his trash)
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Rite on man, rite on… Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Vanagons are entering the transistion years moving from fun road tripping vehicle to the antique/classic car realm. while the '63 Vette can remain in the garage and taken to the local Dairy Queen on Sundays, the nature of the vanagon is to be on the road, away from home. learning basic electrical testing skills plus understanding an engine needs spark, fuel, compression, and timing is going to become more of a requisite for all but the very wealthy. or very lucky.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Vanagons are entering the transistion years moving from fun road tripping vehicle to the antique/classic car realm. while the '63 Vette can remain in the garage and taken to the local Dairy Queen on Sundays, the nature of the vanagon is to be on the road, away from home. learning basic electrical testing skills plus understanding an engine needs spark, fuel, compression, and timing is going to become more of a requisite for all but the very wealthy. or very lucky.

Doesn't seem that I am neither wealthy or lucky but fairly intelligent.

I've heard it said that you can be rich and stupid or poor and smart but no one can survive as poor and stupid.

You got to admit though that these vans have produced better mechanics than the ASE could ever hope to produce.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Funny, I thought the rite of passage was getting laid in the pop-top.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Funny, I thought the rite of passage was getting laid in the pop-top.

I second that! lol!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:

You got to admit though that these vans have produced better mechanics than the ASE could ever hope to produce.

Yup:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Other rites of passage include:
Clutch slave bolts
Water jacket seals
"what is this connector near the alternator"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Blowing all the coolant out seems like a Vanagon right of passage to me.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

My own rite of passage:

Finding out, two years after you bought it, that your WBX Vanagon engine has a built-in oil funnel.

Embarassed
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

I suppose you could file a writ of habeas corpus to see if you can get out of this hellish enslavement to the machine. That would be a right to avoid the rite.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

My rite of passage is the hiccup... it took a while to figure out why... Very Happy
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
My own rite of passage:

Finding out, two years after you bought it, that your WBX Vanagon engine has a built-in oil funnel.

Embarassed

Two years? I mean, yeah- I definitely figured that out after two years. And I totally figured it out without help from the samba….

Wink
Some people call him Maurice...
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
My rite of passage is the hiccup... it took a while to figure out why... Very Happy

wait, what hiccup?

haha!
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

I think my rite of passage was figuring out that I had a leaking oil cooler on my CS. Took me an age and several coolant flushes.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Rite of passage--Hmmmmmmmm. Don't have time for the War and Peace response, but in time length, it started in 1961 with a 23 window and the numerous splitties and bays which were practice for the T3 that requires a masters degree in Volksvanology. Never been without one since then. Haven't earned my degree yet, but without you guys and my earlier bus/van VW 101, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Poor/rich/smart/stupid. No one mentioned an unreasoned dedication to a thing which most might label a mental health issue.

The Alice in Wonderland quote about how we are not all quite there is the rite of passage without which we wouldn't be owned/concumed by these unforgiving beasts.

Duncan
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

My wife drives a 2018 GTI. I told her I'd do the maintenance for her. Downloaded the shop manual. Although it is written in English it reads like Greek to me. Changing the oil was formidable. I told her to take it to the dealer.

I'm sorry, I flunked modern Volksnology.

Still working on Vanology 102. I'll let you know if enlightenment comes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Rite of Passage?
500 miles into a 3000 mile trip, going over a pass, blowing a hose and losing most of your coolant, no cell phone service. If that hasn't happened to you yet you are not a true vanagon owner.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

AC for the win.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rite of Vanagon passage Reply with quote

Rite of passage? For the wimp, the dilettante and the non-hardcore it would be to keep the A/C functional.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: