Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 convertible seat back help-info
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

my car is missing rear seat back, i got this one- looks too narrow? can anyone confirm and advise thank you
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

Looks like the rear seat back for a 1968 and newer sedan.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

I believe mine had straight sides, but nothing else diff. But like prev. message, looks to be 68/newer.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

There will be no big difference between a 67 convertible rear seat back and a 68... or, ...say a 72 or, even later -- EXCEPT for the release catch bar running the length inside and handle, and pull strap which was introduced for the 1968 model year (and can be removed). The size configuration and structure of the convertible seat back are the same as later years. Changes were made to the upholstery styles which itself was pretty much the same from 67-72. (17 heat seams on basket weave, and those heat seams stopping at a few inches from the top of seat) Yes, there are specific and rare "one year only" 67 convertible seat back things to fret about - namely the dark gray patterned cardboard-esque backing panel that is factory stitched to the upholstery along the perimeter of the frame.

The BIG difference is between sedan and convertible seat backs - of which you clearly have a convertible back and can be used in your 67.

Keep in mind that your car appears to be 'gutted' at the moment for restoration work, so things such as hinge covers and headliner, matting, panels, etc are not in place to fill in some of that space.

First pic below is my 67 w/ everything in place:

Showing backing panel:

A factory original '67 SEDAN rear seat back for reference comparison..

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

thank you all for your time, is anyone able to measure across the top of their seat, so i can compare thank you
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

hotvwnut wrote:
thank you all for your time, is anyone able to measure across the top of their seat, so i can compare thank you

I measured +- 40" across, at the top.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
hotvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

thank you 67conv i will go measure, now i was looking through your pics, of bottom, i think mine may be wrong, but i have a second one also, the one on right came with, the one with the major ups and downs on bottom rear area

is second one i just got. what do you think
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

hotvwnut wrote:
thank you 67conv i will go measure, now i was looking through your pics, of bottom, i think mine may be wrong, but i have a second one also, the one on right came with, the one with the major ups and downs on bottom rear area

is second one i just got. what do you think

hotvwnut -
Ultimately, either one you have pictured will fit / work in your '67 for a rear seat bottom / cushion. Remember that the convertible rear seat bottoms as well as the backs are completely different than the much more common sedan rear seats. Eventually, you'll need to reupholster. That's where the frustration begins, as there are currently NO aftermarket suppliers for correct 67 (or 66, 68, etc etc) cover material w/ heat seam count, depth, length, etc.

The one on the right in your top picture appears to still have it's original factory upholstery, as it's sporting the basket weave material on the ends which is o.g. for the 67-72 period. Can you turn it over to see the other side? The aftermarket reupholstery kits do NOT use wire tie downs, or the basket weave material on the "hidden" sides or ends. Instead they use string, hog rings and plain vinyl for the sides.

These are some more '67 vert rear seat pics:

hotvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

i think i found problem, too short of pivot point, so do you know if the seat i have is late model with short tabs or maybe early model, i know its wrong now for sure, but what years have this longer tab like last picture thanks

67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

It would appear that the seat back you have is likely from a 1973 model year and later.

To be absolutely certain, I'd give Chuck's Convertible parts in Virginia a call to see if the pivot tab points will matter or not for installing in your '67. I know from experience that those tabs can get bent or distorted from their original shape after the seat has been removed and then moved around, stored, or shipped.

For reference, below is a picture of original upholstered 1968 convertible seats, showing the pivot tab on the backrest - which is same for '67. (and the new for '68-up safety release catch)

And, below is an original upholstered 1973 convertible rear seat back. I think this was a one year only heat seam design. If you look closely, you can see it has the shorter pivot tabs.

hotvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67 convertible seat back help-info Reply with quote

ok that makes sense then, late model- but much later than 68-72 73 and up shorter tabs-- still looking for a seat then
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: