Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835 with kads
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

Hey I pretty stumped I have an 1835cc with dual kads that I just rebuilt and a svda dizzy, I had my machinist drill the vacuum port into the carb so I could hook it to the vacuum advance, so anyways the bus just doesn't seem to have very much pull, I had a jetted 34 pict on it after the engine was rebuilt and it did fine now with the dual kads I'm having power issues any ideas?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
Hey I pretty stumped I have an 1835cc with dual kads that I just rebuilt and a svda dizzy, I had my machinist drill the vacuum port into the carb so I could hook it to the vacuum advance, so anyways the bus just doesn't seem to have very much pull, I had a jetted 34 pict on it after the engine was rebuilt and it did fine now with the dual kads I'm having power issues any ideas?

Did you have the throttle bodies rebushed? They are almost always shot to shit and will make your bus run like crap.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

make sure you are getting full throttle. verify by using a board or something logged to keep the gas pedal pressed down all the way, go to the back and see if you can open the carbs up further by hand

I am surprised by the amt of times I've seen people not have full throttle and think their car is slow...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

I'm running Kadrons on my 1776. Prior to that I had dual 34ICT carbs, and prior to that a single 30.

To set up my Kads, which were practically new, I ordered a set of jets from Kaddieshack and followed their carburetor setup instructions on Youtube. I also used an airflow gauge with my redneck adapter to sync the carbs: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ght=kadron

After a some tweaks the engine is running much better.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
make sure you are getting full throttle. verify by using a board or something logged to keep the gas pedal pressed down all the way, go to the back and see if you can open the carbs up further by hand

I am surprised by the amt of times I've seen people not have full throttle and think their car is slow...

This was partly a problem I had with my 1835 with dual kadrons, as well as the replacement 2110 with dual 44 idfs.

I enlist my father to help, with one of us at the pedal, the other at the linkage making necessary adjustment to the connecting rods, etc. This might not be the original poster's problem, but it is a common enough problem to rule out before adjusting anything else (synching, etc.). Good luck.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

What Jets are you running?
I have twin Kads on a 1904 and it absolutely flies...

Running (from memory) 137.5 main jets, 30mm venturi with a Vac Advance dizzy and a SuperKing Pressure filter/regulator.

Make sure the brass accelerator pump nozzle is squirting a steady stream fuel straight down the carb throat without hitting anything when opening the throttle
AND
make sure its not actually dragging fuel out of the accel pump nozzle at high RPM - if it is tweak the brass tube upwards out of the venturi.

Have you adjusted down your fuel pressure from a stock(?) fuel pump, as Kads are VERY sensitive to too much fuel pressure - 2psi max

Do you have bypass tube on it?
Are they synced and set to open exactly together?
Each carb tuned with the air screw to fastest idle rpm then back in a 1/4.

When you say its down on power - is it flat all the way, or just bogs down on acceleration?
Kads are pretty simple carbs to get running right with a bit of help.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

I had not changed the jets, but it has a pertronix svda dizzy and the coil was new as well but the manual for the dizzy says use the pertronix coil
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
I had not changed the jets, but it has a pertronix svda dizzy and the coil was new as well but the manual for the dizzy says use the pertronix coil

When you've found the solution PLEASE post it here. We, the Kad owners thank you in advance!
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

I will Def post it, this is a customers 1835 and it had run great woth the 34 pict but he just had to have the kads and now he is having all these issues
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

Not sure what you may have going on with your setup. I recently built a 1904 with an Engle 110 cam and nice heads installed in a ‘71 Baywindow. I’ve used Kads for years on smaller engines, but needed some tweaks for this bigger engine. I ended up contacting KaddieShack and got a set of bigger venturis and jets. I was very pleased with their service and the engine runs great! Hope you get yours straightened out.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did I ordered the bigger custom jets they recommend and the 32mm venturi for the larger displacement, fingers crossed as this was my first encounter with building kadrons especially the fact that this customers 1835 was perfect before but he just had to have them lol
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parts you’ll receive will be like this. The 32 vents and suggested jets worked well for the 1904. Before the change the engine would only pull on the low end and seemed to fall on its face. Now it moves that camper quite nicely.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

69aircooled wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parts you’ll receive will be like this. The 32 vents and suggested jets worked well for the 1904. Before the change the engine would only pull on the low end and seemed to fall on its face. Now it moves that camper quite nicely.

Hi 69Aircooled,
Interesting they suggested the 32mm venturis on a 1904 - I currently run 30's, and I see they change the air correction jet too - being nosy and very curious - what main/air jet sizes did they recommend to go with the 32 vents?

Cheers, TED
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

Ted,
The jets I received weren’t stamped with numbers. I meant to check them with some wire gauges for my own notes, but I let that slip. Sorry I don’t have numbers for you.

Best regards,
Chan
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 with kads Reply with quote

I git it!! It was the jets he ordered a custom set from kaddie shack and I swapped them out and the petronix series 2 svda and ignition coil helped that bus scoots now and he's he's happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: