Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car prices soar...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
NADA most recent average new car monthly payment data
$717 per month

5 years? That would be $43,020 without the interest

I wonder what the original average car price and rate is to get that monthly.

Maybe $37,000 and around 3%?

Who would be caught dead in a car under $80K? That is unthinkable.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

What if it's a car that's worth $80K (now) but you have $0 into it? Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

What if it's a car that's worth $80K (now) but you have $0 into it? Very Happy

Then I can just borrow the dough and make a simple monthly payment for the enjoyment. Wink
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

just saw a commercial for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer *starting* at 80k

no fucking way.

just googled 'Grand Wagoneer' price....around here it seems to be 111k not sure if that is loaded or price gouging

no matter how much money i make no way could i justify that amount of money on an appliance. i'd rather spend the $$ on something more interesting

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

no fucking way.

just googled 'Grand Wagoneer' price....around here it seems to be 111k not sure if that is loaded or price gouging

no matter how much money i make no way could i justify that amount of money on an appliance. i'd rather spend the $$ on something more interesting

Have you looked at what a well appointed F150 costs nowadays? Dad bought a gently used one a couple years ago. It was nearly $70K. It has spent plenty of time at the shop for warranty work, too. I'm trying to talk him into a $15K 25 year old Chevy with low miles.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Whether it's new/used cars, rent, groceries, gas, etc. people throw numbers around today that are just CRAZY. The sad thing is that "they" have got many people convinced that it's ok to have a $700+ car payment, put everything on credit, etc. Can't pay...that's ok just declare bankrupcy. I especially like the TV commercials where they will help you "end creditor harassment."
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

no fucking way.

Have you looked at what a well appointed F150 costs nowadays? Dad bought a gently used one a couple years ago. It was nearly $70K. It has spent plenty of time at the shop for warranty work, too. I'm trying to talk him into a $15K 25 year old Chevy with low miles.

Dad.....BUY THE CHEVY!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Have you looked at what a well appointed F150 costs nowadays?

in the middle of the C19 bullshit my friend sold his 1 year old powerstroke that he paid like 65k for back to the dealer for 75k and saw it on the lot with a sold sticker for like 82k (as i remember, the #'s may be off a bit)

my lawyer-in-law just bought a 87 squarebody suburban for 24k (it's fukin mint too...low mile mid west deal) because he couldn't justify the expense of a comparable rig.

seems overkill, but 3 kids, dog etc he really does use it and needs the space plus he hauls a boat.

at any rate, no way would i pay what it would take to own some of the new stuff.

my first and last brand new car was in 1998 a year out of school. i bought a fully loaded VR6 GTI. had it about 3 years and sold it.

at this point i'm really considering doing the salvage/repairable auction for the wife's next car. even those prices are way too high

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

I think it's in Japan where they have 100-year mortgages which are passed down from one generation to the next. Maybe we can do that with cars! Payments continue for 80 years after the car has been crushed and reused for scrap.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Don't despair, Carvana is here to help... 18 percent interest, cars they don't actually own, temporary out of state plates for 2 years, re-constructed wrecks w/o state required inspections, and a 99% approval !!! Good times had by all.

Even with the high gas prices it makes sense to buy a 20 year old car from dry areas and do what ever necessary to get it running right rather than the current fleece offered at the dealerships. That window is still open, but not for much longer.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
$717 per month

That's a tough one to figure. That $717 reflects the total.
Tax & interest rates are variable.
A no interest loan at 5 years will put in in a nicely appointed new Honda for that.

$70-$80k SUV's & trucks seem to be the new norm. The length & interest rate of those loans have grown exponentially. The new normal is 84 months with a few stretching to 120 months Shocked

My last new car purchase was in 2012 60 months at 0%. VW Credit bean counters get their cut off the top regardless of the sale price.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

no fucking way.

WHo the F&$% does Jeep think they are. Seriously.
I saw one of these on the road yesterday and just shook my head.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Even with the high gas prices it makes sense to buy a 20 year old car from dry areas and do what ever necessary to get it running right rather than the current fleece offered at the dealerships. That window is still open, but not for much longer.

Yep

I just got rid of my outback (was killing me on fuel don't know how they got away with that kind of overestimation with the EPA) and bought a 2005 Accord for $2k, better fuel mileage and money back in the bank, it's sad I was forced into that situation but it's a ridiculous country we live in these days.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Don't despair, Carvana is here to help... 18 percent interest, cars they don't actually own, temporary out of state plates for 2 years, re-constructed wrecks w/o state required inspections, and a 99% approval !!! Good times had by all.

They are being sued for not providing titles too:
https://www.the-sun.com/motors/5323632/carvana-sued-arrested-expired-car-registration/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

One a$$hole opinion

The pricing in the ‘ decent running car ‘ will retract from the crack levels of today Over next 12 months.

If you need a 5k car for kids first job, try to beg Borrow steal for 2022 and buy in 2023.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Suddenly a Subaru conversion from Skills for a Vanagon or Bay Window or ……..? Sounds reasonable for an old type 2 used as a daily driver. Skills, I’m still grandfathered on price for the 72 bus and 85 van right? Laughing Laughing Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

I don't see any evidence that car prices will retreat into old territory. Sure some gearheads and Yankee Peddler types will find a work around but most people are trapped into a car they can rely on with payments. Adjustments to budgets will be made and the car payment(s) just become part of the background radiation citizens must endure. I do see scooter and motorcycle participation increasing in the near future.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I don't see any evidence that car prices will retreat into old territory. Sure some gearheads and Yankee Peddler types will find a work around but most people are trapped into a car they can rely on with payments. Adjustments to budgets will be made and the car payment(s) just become part of the background radiation citizens must endure. I do see scooter and motorcycle participation increasing in the near future.

I agree.

The days of overproducing and underselling are over IMO. Prices will hold steady.
Manufacturers are loving this new supply vs. demand environment and have learned much.
The dealers are loving it too. They don't need the sales force or the real estate to carry the inventory (floorplan) that the car producers have required them to carry.
I remember dealer lots being so full of forced inventory that many needed to rent off site storage.

The profit margins for both have never been higher.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

The pressure will come from the manufacturing side. They business gets driven by volume and Cars on the lot drive volume

Cost of sales of new cars is tiny. Profit is all in used and service.

With new cars sales humming, the upper tier used market will have inventory and that will push down to cheap scumbags like me
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’m still grandfathered on price for the 72 bus and 85 van right? Laughing Laughing Wink

i can't control the parts price only the labor Crying or Very sad

kingkarmann wrote:

The profit margins for both have never been higher.

ehh

kind of disagree

yes, there is more profit if there is no floorplan payments to be made but i can tell you firsthand off lease and auction cars are selling at auction for what they would sell for on the lot as "retail ready"

so lets say a 2018-2019 would sell at auction for 20k and the dealer would go thru it, put it on the lot for 25k. now they are selling at 25k needing the same amount of work to be "retail ready" and are on the lot at 30k, if not a bit more.
almost all of the $$ was made on the trade in and being able to retail the said trade in. if your trade in was a rat, it would get wholesaled or go to auction

i do agree that the oct-dec "end of model year clearance" stuff will be a thing of the past.

now years ago speaking to a factory rep (i'm talking 2010-11 or so) they were going to basically send all of the fully loaded cars to the dealers for test drive purposes and basically you'd order your car (from colors to options) and wait a month for it to be delivered

that to me seemed like a good idea, as many cars we sold soooo many never took advantage of most of the tech shit. but, it never really happened back then

other than mandated safety stuff most wanted leather, power windows, a/c and bluetooth. every once in a while a navigation system but honestly, a cell phone is all you need for that.

interesting times, no doubt

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: