Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't seem to nail down the timing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

I have a 205 T distributor with a single vacuum (SVDA SVA)
I have a Solex 30 PICT 2 carb
B6 Engine (which I know doesn't matter as much)

Everything I have found says timing should be 0*TDC with vacuum disconnected and plugged.

I assume that means disconnected from the intake and plugged...do I need to plug BOTH ports?

When I get the timing set at 0* with the RPMs at 850 it doesn't seem to have much higher end power and when I let off the gas to come to a stop it backfires.

Is 0*TDC correct for this combo? Everywhere I look says it is...but it doesn't seem to like it.

My pully has three marks as follows (4th mark is where I set it statically):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From what I understand the leftmost is 0*TDC. On my other engine that is actually 5*ATDC and there's a dimple for 0*. There is no dimple on this pully.

It seems like it likes to be set BTDC somewhere but I don't want to just randomly set it.

Advice please...thanks! Happy 4th to my U.S. bros and sisters!

'71 Super Beetle Convertible - Clementine Orange - practically perfect in every way (ok not really...but she's a beauty!) - named Clarabelle
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Do you see the white mark at the far right? disconnect and plug the hose from the carb. to dist. and rev the motor to 3000RPM and set the timing to that mark (make sure you set the points first) then reconnect the hose to the dist. and DON'T recheck the timing because you will get a false reading (that's why you disconnect the vacuum). take a drive and listen for any pinging when you step on the gas, if none you are good to go.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Plug the port on the carb only

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Do you see the white mark at the far right? disconnect and plug the hose from the carb. to dist. and rev the motor to 3000RPM and set the timing to that mark (make sure you set the points first) then reconnect the hose to the dist. and DON'T recheck the timing because you will get a false reading (that's why you disconnect the vacuum). take a drive and listen for any pinging when you step on the gas, if none you are good to go.

Don't do this. This procedure is for a SVDA distributor, not a SVA like your 205T
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Don't do this. This procedure is for a SVDA distributor, not a SVA like your 205T

So! Tell him what to do. The bottom line is someone before him put those marks on there for a reason and that reason is that's where it runs. What's a SVA?
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

I'd find a small hose that would attach to the vacuum diaphragm, pop the cap and using your mouth see if the diaphragm is fully moving the point plate.

Then hold the vacuum with your tongue and see if the diaphragm leaks down.

I set my 205T at a max of 28-30 deg. I believe a properly functioning 205T can advance up to 35 deg. So that sets my idle timing ATDC. To compensate I use a 04038 Bosch rotor with a wider brass tip.

Some say I'm doing it wrong but it works fine for me. I like/have a faster idle, it pulls great, I'm seldom over 3800 rpm and my loaded head temp is very good. Just about as good my brother using his SVDA.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

SVA = Single vacuum advance. NO MECHANICAL ADVANCE.

so if he set it to 30 degrees BTDC, he would be running 60-65 degrees advanced.

That distributor should advance 30-35 degrees if i remember. So TDC would be correct.

I didn't have time to cross check, so I didn't post. But your way is definitely wrong.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Have you made sure the vacuum diaphragm is good and timing is advancing.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

So the timing is set with vacuum connected or what? Those marks weren't painted on the pully for no reason (you don't know what has been done to the motor) so tell him how to set the timing that doesn't coincide to what i said.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Do this:
1. Line up the left mark with the case split line
2. Loosen the distributor clamp
3. Turn on the ignition (don't start it; just the ignition on)
4. Turn the distributor clockwise or counterclockwise until you hear a "click" or "pop".
5. You're set at 0° BTDC; tighten the clamp
6. As Goober described above, pull the cap and the hose off the carb vac port and suck on the hose until the base plate is fully advanced then plug the hose with your thumb. If the base plate holds, the diaphragm is good.

This a nice feature of the simplicity of the SVA and 30PICT2 carb; no test lights, timing lights, port plugging, mightyvac, etc. required. I did it this way when I was a teenager. The far right mark is probably a 32° mark. If you have a timing light, you can check the total advance doesn't advance beyond 32° but if you set initial advance at 0°, you'll be safe. Some motors might like a degree or two more initial advance but 0° is generally fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
SVA = Single vacuum advance. NO MECHANICAL ADVANCE.

so if he set it to 30 degrees BTDC, he would be running 60-65 degrees advanced.

That distributor should advance 30-35 degrees if i remember. So TDC would be correct.

I didn't have time to cross check, so I didn't post. But your way is definitely wrong.

28-30 degrees maximum advance @ 3000+ rpm.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

OK OP, post the entire distributor number, and the base plate number on the carb.

Most people refer to the 205T as the last digits of the common 113 905 205 T. Let's make sure that's what you have and not some other lesser used distributor that just ends the same and it's messing us up.

Post the base number on the carb also. I think it's on the driver's side base flange, but it could be somewhere else. Usually a 3 digit number.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the replies...sorry for the confusion!

I did, at first, say it was SVDA but had since discovered it was an SVA (but only by visually comparing it to others). The can is "skinny" and, when I tried to do the trick where you check the mechanical advance only there was absolutely ZERO advance without the vacuum...so I made an assumption. I will get the numbers of the distributor directly, but from the email when I ordered this in 2019 it stated 113 905 205 T as the numbers. I will look for the "base plate number" from the carb today.

Also...I made the white marks myself. Originally there were no marks except for the notches that come from the factory.

@frenchroast
I did almost as you described...I didn't listen for the pop. I used a light which worked in 2019 but, this time, it never went off like I expected. Instead I guesstimated where that far right mark should go based on my experience with my AE-block engine and then turned the distributor until the notch for cylinder 1 was being pointed at by the rotor. That was good enough to get it started at least.
I then used a timing light to get it to 0* but that's when the backfiring and lack of power started.
I did not check the vacuum diaphragm...I will do that today.

In looking at timing charts the only other option I could see was 7.5*BTDC for even older stock engines. I tried that and it did seem to like it a little better.

A weird bit of history on this engine: when I started working on it in 2019 I couldn't get it to start. The distributor was not even a VW distributor. This was all the info I received on it:

Quote:
...0 231 170 167 is not a VW distributor, it is a single vacuum dual advance based on the 170 number which would be for a early-mid 1970's application...

I then bought the current distributor from a guy here on the boards and it started. That was the last I messed with it until this week when I had to replaced my failed dual-port until I can get that rebuilt...so I'm experiencing ALL the issues of this engine all at once, for, basically, the first time.

Right now I have timing set at approx 7.5*BTDC and it seems somewhat happier...but I think that's not the correct setting. It seems to idle best at 0* so I think that's probably the best setting for idle...but when driving, it seems to lose its ability to make more power once it reaches the "shift marks" on the speedometer. Setting it around 7.5*B allows it to make power at higher revs. but the idle is slightly worse...backfiring is slightly better.

Bottom line is this engine/dizzy/carb combo needs help LOL. It's only temporary so as long as I baby this I think I can limp along until my other is rebuilt.

I was rear-ended (with my other engine in place) and it's going into the body shop next week so I'll have some time where it can just be pampered and I can have a rental and work on my rebuild.

'71 Super Beetle Convertible - Clementine Orange - practically perfect in every way (ok not really...but she's a beauty!) - named Clarabelle
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:

It seems to idle best at 0* so I think that's probably the best setting for idle...but when driving, it seems to lose its ability to make more power once it reaches the "shift marks" on the speedometer. Setting it around 7.5*B allows it to make power at higher revs. but the idle is slightly worse...backfiring is slightly better.

That sounds like a failed condensor. They can idle fine but fail under load.

Also check that TDC is really TDC (use a plastic straw - there's some threads on how to check if you don't know already. 99.99% certain it will be but probably good to confirm), vac leaks, accelerator pump, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

OK well at least we know you're on the right track.

You should be timed to zero.

Check to make sure you are getting advance. Vacuum can is not leaking, vacuum port in carb is not blocked somehow.

Are you getting squirt from the accelerator nozzle when the throttle is opened?

Try another condenser like Frenchroast said. At idle, or light load a failing condenser may work ok. Under acceleration or heavy load, the engine will pop, fart, or cut out.

Also check your dwell angle.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll try a different condenser and see if that helps at all.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
Thanks! I'll try a different condenser and see if that helps at all.

Test your condenser if you have a multi meter. Remove the condenser and set it on a insulated pad, set meter to OHMs, hold neg. lead to condenser body and pos. lead to green wire, charge the condenser until meter quits rising then switch the leads, if it's good you will see the charge drain down, if there is no voltage it's shot. Test any new condenser because a lot are DOA from China.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

Here's the link to the Old Volks Home data for that model distributor (on the type2.com site):
http://www.type2.com/~keen/ignition.html#A6970M
At the bottom of the specs you can see specific timing advance based on applied vacuum to the canister. You can test this using a vacuum hand pump with a gauge. At idle, plug the vacuum port at the carb end and note the warmed up timing. Apply vacuum to the vacuum canister on the distributor and note the increase in timing as you increase the vacuum. It should be similar to what is listed in the specs. If you see less advance you may need a new canister.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to nail down the timing Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Here's the link to the Old Volks Home data for that model distributor (on the type2.com site):
http://www.type2.com/~keen/ignition.html#A6970M
At the bottom of the specs you can see specific timing advance based on applied vacuum to the canister. You can test this using a vacuum hand pump with a gauge. At idle, plug the vacuum port at the carb end and note the warmed up timing. Apply vacuum to the vacuum canister on the distributor and note the increase in timing as you increase the vacuum. It should be similar to what is listed in the specs. If you see less advance you may need a new canister.

Thank you sir! I have bookmarked that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: