Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
ATP wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
What exactly am I glossing over?

The whole, none of the panels say who made them bit. There's no way, on your site, to tell what you're buying in regards to metal panels.

Call him during business hours. He will tell you what he has on the shelf, who makes it and other various things (like recommendations of particular parts or things you might also need).

You may get a better website at other places but you won't get better service when you call. I've called some of the other import part websites and you could tell the person answering the phone couldnt tell a Folksvahgon from a folk concert. They had no idea beyond the part number on the box.

nemo, this isnt a dig on you personally, but im calling BULLSHIT on your statement about calling them to verify stock. after several order problems, and personal follow up emails with Ron advising me to call and verify stock before ordering, they did it to me one last time. Called to verify a list of items i needed, was told they were all indeed in stock, so I ordered. 4 days later I get a call telling me some items are backordered. That was the last straw for me. After spending thousands over a few years, im done with BD.

sorry ATP, it doesnt address your question, but I too agree with you that its very mis-leading when it says “german quality”. that means nothing if you dont know who is making it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry ATP, it doesnt address your question, but I too agree with you that its very mis-leading when it says “german quality”. that means nothing if you dont know who is making it.

We don't list parts as "Gerrman quality." You're confusing us with CIP1, who routinely lists Chinese made parts that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Bus Depot,

I’ve ordered thousands of dollars or products from your company. I can say I’ve been mostly happy with your company. But there definitely have been times I’ve ordered stuff, your took my money and I didn’t see the product for months. Same with CIP.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Richparker, I don't doubt you believe that happened, but we do not charge you in advance for backorders. Our website is not even capable of doing that. (Your confusion is understandable, as many other websites do charge at checkout, but not ours.) We don't charge for items until they ship; rather, our website just gets an authorization on your card (or Paypal) but doesn't actually charge anything. Shipping an item is what triggers the actual charge, so if it doesn't ship it isn't charged. If it is backordered and you still want it, you only pay for it when it comes in (and we cover the extra shipping cost to send it separately, which no one else does). The only exception is made-to-order items (where we have to pay the factory when we give them the order, and are not allowed to cancel), and certain isolated instances involving fixed-price kits. There are no other exceptions.

Again, this is explained at https://www.busdepot.com/backorders-stock-outs

Last edited by Busdepot on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

As for Sklills@eurocars gaslighting me by bringing up completely unrelated orders (that he himself never actually placed, but knows of)

Gaslighting by unrelated orders?

they are not unrelated orders when my customers order from you and i'm waiting for you to function so i can continue/start a repair. I have indirectly received drop shipped orders from you via a customer

my last personal try with you was in fall/winter of 2020-21 and i placed about a 700-1k order with you online for parts on the new-to-me vanagon

a solid week went by and at 6:30pm as i'm trying to choke down dinner a girl from your place called and of that order you had about 10 bux worth of gaskets i tossed on the order just because.

i had her cancel the whole deal. that is when i found European vendors willing to take my money, had everything i needed in stock and had it at my door in 3 days. for the same or less money than you.

Ron, i don't hate you (as much as you think i do). i respect the fact you even post but to stand here and basically tell me and others we are full of shit is disreputable. those who have had an issue with you hasn't been over a minor issue... they have been substantial fuck ups on YOUR behalf and blaming the customer isn't cool.

and please don't give us the 'i've been in business for 100 years" because so has GEX

like i said, i wish i had another East Coast source for parts but it's easier to order elsewhere.

problem is a lot of stuff you list is a "we can get it for you" kind of deal and that's fine IF you're clear about it. if 'you can get it for me' i may as well track it down and get it myself at that point

ATP, so sorry your question turned into this shitshow

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
in fall/winter of 2020-21 and i placed about a 700-1k order with you online for parts on the new-to-me vanagon, a solid week went by and at 6:30pm as i'm trying to choke down dinner a girl from your place called and of that order you had about 10 bux worth of gaskets i tossed on the order just because.

In fall/winter 2020, during the worst of COVID, most of my employees were at home for safety's sake (with pay, BTW - I took care of every single one of them out of my own pocket) and 3-4 people were running the whole shop. Our website clearly stated that there may be significant supply issues as a result (you actually had to click through it to place the order), so we were completely up front about that. It was probably my Office Manager who called you. She was wearing about 7 hats (including packing boxes) and was working 70-80 hour weeks. If you think this is making excuses I really don't know what to tell you. I am actually very proud of my employees and what they managed to pull off. They did their absolute best during unprecedented times, and worked their asses off to keep our customers' Buses on the road.

For the record I have not blamed ANY customers in this thread. And I won't. I have, however, cleared my name when numerous false statements were made, and in other cases took the time on my July 4 holiday to make an honest effort to explain how things actually do work and why they work that way. Look, I'll take the hard knocks when they're factual, and I'll do right by my customers. I always have, and if you look at the Bus Depot feedback page on the Samba you'll see several of cases where I have said flat out, "yes, we f'd up." But a lot of statements in this thread were demonstrably false. Either a 12,000 foot warehouse exists in East Greenville PA or it doesn't. Either our website charges for backorders or it doesn't. And so on. These aren't arguable opinions that are subject to different points of view, they are simply facts.

I too am sorry that this turned into a shit show. Maybe trolls shouldn't post random crap like "BD is run by sleazebags" followed by outright lies about my company. If they had stuck to the subject matter I would have as well. I do apologize sincerely for letting it get a rise out of me and taking the bait. The Depot is my lifeblood and my passion, and when I get called a sleazebag out of nowhere I take it personally.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Ron

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, the adults in the room understand the picture and the challenges of the last few years.

Leave the rest at the kids table making noise.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Leave the rest at the kids table making noise.

make room at the table

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=770438

PDXWesty wrote:
Just to add to my comment above, this was not a recent experience post Covid in the last two years. this was over the last 20 years. They have never kept inventory on their site and you don't usually find out something is out of stock until long after it's been ordered and paid for. There's got to be a better way.

so see Ron, it's not just me that have had issues in the past 20 years. your feedback here is exactly what i've posted about... and by that a customer has a 50/50 chance of getting what they need in a reasonable time when an order is placed

personally, i think what pisses people off the most is your site leads people to believe what you show is in stock. honestly, if you went to a live inventory for what you ACTUALLY have on hand and "special order only" for what you don't people will respect you a hell of a lot more and will go into a purchase knowing what they can and can't get immediately.

giving people the illusion that their order will ship in "1-3 business days" when there is a good chance it won't is disingenuous and THAT is what pisses people off.

i respect the fact you can't stock it all, i really do but stringing people along for days on end is why threads like the one posted pop up a few times a year.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

"German, finest quality" and other things are the same damned thing as listing "German quality". Nitpicking doesn't change the fact that the buyer has zero clue who made what they're purchasing. There are 344 results if you search "German" on busdepot. And lots of them are without a manufacturer listed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks to the folks who helped. I ordered almost every part Gerson offers for my bus and it got here quickly and all looks good. Sorry my genuine question devolved into what it did.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

ATP wrote:
"German, finest quality" and other things are the same damned thing as listing "German quality".

You don't understand the difference between GERMAN (well it actually says German Made but you shortened that for some reason) which means....well... GERMAN made and "GERMAN QUALITY" which means basically nothing but actually means Chinese shit????

BTW, IM NOT THE one who said BD parts are "actually superior" and I've low key complained/recoommended Ron update his website for years. I get that you would like to be able to see the actual company. I would too. Ron has explained why he doesn't do that. Just call. Or shop elsewhere if you like Chinese shit.

Id have trouble marking anything "German made" because frankly I don't think the Germans make stuff anymore, much like America. At best it is European made most of the time, which means Yugo, Turk or something similar.

I got another part from a well renowned vendor (west coast) that said "German made" which came in a box with a name of a German company that was OEM VW, and it damn sure appeared to be the exact same Chinese shit I got from Chinese Shit Parts 1, on which I didn't wish to rely.

A German company sells it is the reality of all we can know. Ive seem the same with OEM GM etc.

I guess now I carry two Chinese parts and hope it doesn't fail quickly twice, like the last Chinese shit one did.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: