Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hole In The Roof Remedies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Picked up a 71 bay in Mew Mexico, pretty good body, little rust, runs decent, absolutely nasty paint job. Doing the color correction now, one major issue is the previous owner installed a roof vent, bus now has that hideous 14" square hole, looking for options, suggestions, roof has already been warped by previous vent being screwed down with excessive number of screws, see the pictures. Open to ideas, so far I have not found a body shop that will touch welding up the hole and I am not a good enough welder to even attempt to try it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

perfect candidate for a sliding ragtop

that isn't going to be an ez repair

you will need to cut the hole bigger and get rid of all of the screw holes then find a piece of steel, preferably run thru an English wheel to give it some curve

no matter what, it's going to warp even with a TIG so you will need to do A LOT of shrinking/stretching to get it right.

i wouldn't be surprised if it took a good metalworker 60 hours + to make it look like it never happened.

the other thing you could do is a roof skin transplant. that would be a huge job as well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Make the hole bigger. Get a plexiglass panel fabricated to fit the curve. Make it a feature.

Or fit a poptop.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

really it depends on how far to 'never happened' or to 'doesn't leak'
you are looking for.

you could get a piece of bus roof metal from a parts/scrap/salvage bus and use 2part body epoxy to bond it..

or as mentioned prime time for a sunroof, or rag top or poptop

there are curved glass popout sunroofs that should fit just fine..

and then deal with it later. would be my take on it..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

I have some of the same issues. Isnt that the standard rv vent size? I'd just get one of those. My only fear about the sliding sunroof kits is they are proprietary and made only by one company. If they go under, parts are unobtanium. 14" rv vents aren't going away. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_Vents_and_Fans-sf-Roof_Vent.aspx And you probably won't see it much anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Orr

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

search harder for a shop that can do the job. Maybe someone here will know someone you can take it to. JTauxe has someone in New Mexico that did the body work on his cab. You might ask him if they are still around. Also Matt Curtis was working in a shop in CO that did bay work. Either are within a day's drive. One day there, drop it off and go home. When done go pick up. If you get in a hurry you will regret it.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

You could glue in a flanged patch from below, no heat so nothing's going to warp like that, best if you can find a donor patch that's excessively large to allow for wide flanging after cutting away the screwed up part of your roof.

Back in the 80's the fix would be weld it up, bondo the shit out of it and glue on a vinyl top to disguise the butchery, the customer would think it was a cool upgrade. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Isnt that the standard rv vent size? I'd just get one of those. My only fear about the sliding sunroof kits is they are proprietary and made only by one company. If they go under, parts are unobtanium. 14" rv vents aren't going away. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_Vents_and_Fans-sf-Roof_Vent.aspx And you probably won't see it much anyway.

I would probably go this route. An RV vent with a MaxAir Cover facing back.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Ventline/V2110SP-24.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Maxxair-0503-1500-00-933066-White-Cover/dp/B000UUMM6K/

Easy fix and ventilation.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Woooooo...., that Maxaire is so compact and unobtrusive, almost like one of these:

If I had a gun to my head to keep the vent something like this would be more my style:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

The Max Air covers are designed so that you can open the vent fully and still have it protected from rain. You could just install the low profile vent without a Max Air but it's nice to have the airflow without rain coming in. They are designed for RV's and Trailers so normally high up and not as easily seen.

It's an option though.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

lots of things would seal the hole but only repairing it properly will make it original. What the long term goals are for the bus will be a part of the answer for him. If cheap solutions were the goal, here is what some might do. Just stick the vent pipe thru and seal it with flashing.

busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Plans for the bus are to drive the wheels off it just like I do my 71 bug, it will be a daily driver or an every other day driver, camping, back woods adventure vehicle going where jeeps and fluffy SUV's dare not. Since the bus is all but stripped out with only the front windshield left in the event I found a local shop to do the repair, driving 9+ hours is not an option and my bug for as good as it runs is just not up to the task of towing the bus.

The hole is the standard 14x14 RV vent hole, I have looked at Ventline since it is metal and can be painted the same L90D color, as for the maxxair cover, well the first time parking in the garage would solve having it. The pop out danfromsyr shows is an option except I have not found a curved one, who's brand is in the picture?

Calling a tempered glass manufacturer today that does small jobs to see if they can make a piece of glass that is bent, prefer this to plex although plex is a good idea.

The sliding rag top and a pop top are not options since this is a standard tin top model and does not have the extra structure added that sliders. pop tops and high risers get.

I did snag a section of roof at the VW wrecking yard North of Freeburg MO in the event a shop would do the welding, even panel epoxy is a maybe if there is a way to clamp the panels together, but most of all the warp with flatten out.

A plead from a bus owner with a hole in the roof to any bus owner without a hole in their roof, don't make a hole in your roof. Please.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Use an umbrella in the meantime. Sounds silly, but works. I’ve seen it done a bunch on sunroof buses with no sunroof.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Bus is a garage(shop) queen till the body work, paint and assembly is finished, one way or another it will not have a hole when it hits the road.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

Build a cool little custom hatch. Make it out of old VW parts. Then make a roof rack that you access through the roof hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

go on the bodywork and paint forum here, see if anyone is in your area. I do not mean to be rude but if you cannot travel 500 miles to get the work done, you are in for a very rude surprise owning a bus. My other suggestion would be to look at local welders in your area to find the really good ones. Some do sheetmetal repair and fabrication, but not bodywork. You may need to have a welder repair it, then a body shop prepare it and paint it. This is also how many professional restoration shops do it. The metal shop does the metal, and the body shop does the body and paint when the metal shop is done. Once you put the interior in you cannot do that work without ripping everything out again. Do not use plexiglass. If you dig here in the forum you will find people who have done that, and they will tell you that the summer sun will only make the bus more unbearable.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

If you've already picked up a piece of roof from a donor then you are all set. Panel adhesive is your friend. You can cut you roof hole bigger to get rid of the screw holes. Suggest rounded corners on the hole. Cut the patch to fit within the hole. Cut strips to back the seam, 1 1/2" wide should do. You can glue them to the underside of of either the patch or the hole first. Then glue the patch in. No need for flanging or welding. No warping, waterproof, rustproof repair. BTW if you have a compressor pneumatic flanging tools are cheap. To avoid buying a two stage adhesive gun you could do all the prep and have a body shop glue it in. It's not necessarily as easy as just cutting open the adhesive tubes and mixing them together because not all are 50/50 ratios.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

How can the patch be secured till the epoxy cures? clamps are not going to be long enough, rivets?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hole In The Roof Remedies Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

The sliding rag top and a pop top are not options since this is a standard tin top model and does not have the extra structure added that sliders. pop tops and high risers get.

i wouldn't worry about not having belly pans if you go the slider route. the bus won't fold in 1/2

busdaddys glue-n-flange would be the easiest way out to be honest. a skim coat of filler is all it would take to blend it all in

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: