Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

I'm repainting my 1983 VW PICKUP. I've got a few upgrade parts that I've been collecting for years that will go on with the repaint. One of which I was hoping to install was a set of mk1 fender flairs. The parts and truck is now in new paint. The front flairs fit perfectly but the rears haven't been thoroughly diagnosed yet but the painter says they have major fitment issues. I'll be looking myself soon and get some pictures. I have tried to find pictures of other Pickups with flairs . They aren't uncommon but just no up close detail.. What I can tell is the front of the rear flairs have a strange notch. Like I said I will have to put hands Arrow on and get pictures

Where there slight variables on these mk1 flairs? I thought they were very interchangeable among all mk1?

All imput appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

The fronts are the same fenders, thus they fit. The rears would be a long shot to bolt on as I wouldn't expect the profile of the hatchback to be the same as the pickup around the rear tire.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

They work, let them warm up in the sun & use some quick grip clamps to gently compress them while you drill holes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

Apprriciated input. I never realized there were (1) cabriolet painted, (2) Cabriolet non painted (3] Rabir, and (4) aftermarket. If the Rabbit set will work with the rears trimmed to match, I've got some work to do

Luckly Other than the one set of (Rabbit) flairs that were painted I had stashed an extra set of rears I can modify.

I'll try to get more specific pictures today

Last edited by orange914 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

orange914 wrote:

This one appears to be from a GTI. This edge should be towards the front, on a front fender, & is designed to fit around the front air dam.

There are also front flares for a Jetta that are also shaped differently to accommodate the built in, sorta air dam.

If you are not using a GTI air dam, you’ll need to source front flares from one of the rarer S or GT package rabbits.

Also, later cabriolets (90-up i think) had a full body kit known as the “Clipper kit”.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There are also front flares for a Jetta that are also shaped differently to accommodate the built in, sorta air dam.

This one fit up to the front. I was rushed at the shop so after the truck comes home I'll put some research into it

I may or may not be able to modify a spare set or the of the other one.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

I think the one in that last pic is spoda be on the other side.

WVtoH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
orange914 wrote:

I’ve found that the flares that fit best are from 83-84 Jetta GLI Models. That’s what I’ve always run on mine and they match up well with either the Cabriolet or GTI flares up front. Not the easiest to find, but we’ll worth it. Some very minor trimming is need at the bottom rear to accommodate the body seam but that’s all.

2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

Thanks for your input.

I did install the front factory spoiler. I'll have to re test fit the above pictured flairs I have with a new set of eyes. I'm not sure what these came off of.. just that they were donated to me years ago.

I put out a WTB ad here on thrsamba for a 83-84 set of GLI rear wheel well flairs.Do you have any part numbers specific to the flairs?

Hopefully These pictures will help identifying my present flairs

WVtoH wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
orange914 wrote:

I’ve found that the flares that fit best are from 83-84 Jetta GLI Models.

Some very minor trimming is need at the bottom rear to accommodate the body seam but that’s all.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

Well I finally had some time to take a closer look and low and behold the fronts line up. They are 83ish GTI with an 83ish GTI air dam. the picture above of a very confused painter holding the rear 83ish GTI flair on the rear wheel well. It is a fit... except... it is about 2" too long at the rear tail end. Modify? Maybe...

My question NOW is does this GLI rear wheel flair require the same/more/less modification as the GTI?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

There shouldn’t be much if any modification necessary for the flares to fit the caddy, maybe you should find a more competent body guy.

orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There shouldn’t be much if any modification necessary for the flares to fit the caddy, maybe you should find a more competent body guy.

AGREED.

You are correct. Hard to find a good body shop/guy

no front mods to the front GTI flail set/air dam. will mount right up

rear flair trimming(?)/modification(?) needed using rear GTI flair set. When held in place the front of flair lines up, all the way around good until the lower rear portion which goes apx. 2" further than the body.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: mk1 wheel flairs on 1984 pickup issues Reply with quote

There was never any modification involved, the rear GTI arches just needed to be warmed a bit & needed a bit of pressure to get them to fit tight enough to get a few of the upper screw holes to meet with the bead of the fender.

Front fenders & flares have a larger arch, perhaps you have a couple pairs of front flares?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: