Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New white walls look dirty and won't clean up
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

This may be an issue with the brand of my tires, but my new white walls have gone brownish. they were installed on the car one year ago. The car is still being assembled so it's not been on the road yet and is stored in a garage. The white walls have turned very dirty looking and I have not had any luck getting them white again. I even tried some white wall cleaner with a brush and no luck.

They've not had any exposure to sun.
The brand is Vigour Galaxy R1.

Any suggestions?
Any one else buy this brand have similar issues?
Thanks

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

I would try mr clean magic eraser.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

When I was a kid I learned from my Dad to get whitewalls clean with steel wool soap pads. I used that method as recently as a year ago (car has been sold) on my '73 Mustang's raised white letter tires. Works a charm.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

Soft Scrub w/bleach, use a brush & as mentioned a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser should work.

I have also used Simple Green All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with success.

Once you get them clean, make sure you use a tire dressing to protect them. I use Meguiar's endurance tire shine.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Soft Scrub w/bleach, use a brush & as mentioned a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser should work.

I have also used Simple Green All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with success.

Once you get them clean, make sure you use a tire dressing to protect them. I use Meguiar's endurance tire shine.

I bought these from Performance Plus Tire. I called them today and they mentioned some people have had success with something called "Oil Eaters" available on Amazon but he didn't sound very encouraging. I'm going To try the Mr. Clean Magic Erasor.
Thank you for all the suggestions. It's been a long time since I've had white walls.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

I have always used Bleche-White with a brass whitewall scrub brush. Since, at least, 1974. Keeps them sparkling white.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

Post a photo.

Magic eraser is an abrasive.

I used to use the Belche White but they changed their formula years ago.

It is probably tire blooming and you need to get a good cleaner and use it multiple times to get the browish color off.

Go to Autogeek.net and look at the quality tire cleaners.

This is a great cleaner at a great price
https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-whitewall-tire-cleaner.html#

I use it with a foaming spray head and a really stiff brush. It will still take multiple applications per tire to get the brown blooming off.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

it's the tires themselves I hate to say. this happened with some white walls I gotand no matter what you do, they will turn brown

there is a product that is supposed to work for this specific problem where it's turning brown from the inside. you have to take the wheels off the car, put them in the sun, use this stuff a couple times... for me it works temporarily. the guy tells me do it and leave the wheels like upside while they cool off overnight with this stuff on it, and it will draw out all that black crap that you're getting. He says mine are some of the worst, they were burned when they were made

Link
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Post a photo.

actually the "magic eraser" is just melamine foam sponge, the "abrasive" is the hex shape of the foam when it is formed.
Don't buy the one from the store 3/$5 or whatever they charge, Amazon has them in 50 or 100 batches for the same thing, I think mine were $12 for 100 when I ordered them last Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
74 Thing wrote:
Post a photo.

actually the "magic eraser" is just melamine foam sponge, the "abrasive" is the hex shape of the foam when it is formed.
Don't buy the one from the store 3/$5 or whatever they charge, Amazon has them in 50 or 100 batches for the same thing, I think mine were $12 for 100 when I ordered them last Wink

Is it just an abrasive, or is there cleaning agents in the pads?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

it's just the foam , no cleaning agent

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
This may be an issue with the brand of my tires, but my new white walls have gone brownish. they were installed on the car one year ago. The car is still being assembled so it's not been on the road yet and is stored in a garage. The white walls have turned very dirty looking and I have not had any luck getting them white again. I even tried some white wall cleaner with a brush and no luck.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Let me guess..BFGoodrich? I was just reading about issues with their white walls and white letters turning brown
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Let me guess..BFGoodrich? I was just reading about issues with their white walls and white letters turning brown

No, They are "Vitour Galaxy R1"..

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

BLECHE-WITE works for me every time
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: New white walls look dirty and won't clean up Reply with quote

Peerson wrote:
I have always used Bleche-White with a brass whitewall scrub brush. Since, at least, 1974. Keeps them sparkling white.

That original formula when it was owned by Wesley’s was strong! It worked great but I’m guessing it was too harsh for some people. Now it seems watered down.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: