Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Your daughter is very lucky indeed to have parents like you!
The last Karmann Ghia's were made in 1974 so the newest ones are almost 50 years old.
The Samba forums are by far best place to learn and ask questions.
Learn how to search but don't be afraid to ask questions. Most likely it's been answered somewhere here. Most of us are friendly and love to help and get folks pointed in the right direction
Looks like you found a great Ghia to work with. It's a convertible too!
1970 is a great year. Still has the early style bumpers but has larger indicator lights and the improved IRS suspension.
The interior looks nicely redone.
Nice score!
Welcome Cool

P.S.
It would be wise to re-locate or remove the plastic fuel filter from the engine compartment. It's a known source of failure resulting in catastrophic fire.
They never came from the factory with a filter. The best place to locate it is under the car where the hard line exits. It's near the frame forks and transmission.
Many of us carry a 5lb extinguisher just in case.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You don't want this Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
RichTx70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

interesting you mention the fuel filter - I was frowning on that myself (it being plastic and its location).

I also carry an extinguisher, mounted between the driver's seat and door of my 72 C10 truck!

Thank you for the kind welcome Smile
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Read all about me, my current car and my VW life experiences in the Spring 2022 VW Trends Magazine.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Read all about me, my current car and my VW life experiences in the Spring 2022 VW Trends Magazine.
That's a fine looking Ghia, and your past posts show a righteous build and an awesome engine. I wouldn't want you to run afoul of any copyright deal, but if you can post up a pdf of your article like BlueDot did awhile back, then I'll check it out.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Bro, your Ghia is AWESOME! I have saved several of your pics for inspiration!

Question, do you have any pics on how you mounted your oil cooler? I assume that is what is mounted behind the panel on the left side. I've searched through all of your pics and didn't see anything. I have the same engine set up and like where you mounted the cooler, if that's what's behind the panel.

Will look for your write up in Trends!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Jeff,

Yes my oil cooler is mounted on the left side of the engine compartment. Here is the only picture that shows the oil cooler but does not show it all:

It's a Derale model. I built brackets out of 1" angle iron that was welded to the battery tray with vertical pieces to mount onto the cooler mounting holes.

I also opened up the bottom of the fender well to allow the air to escape. Also lined the entire air flow path inside the fender with 1" neoprene foam as the fender temp got hot. You can seem some of the foam that sits between the cooler and the engine compartment sheet metal/screen.

However I strongly encourage you to find a different solution as I experience very hot oil during the summer (230+). This was an experiment that I do not feel succeeded.

I'm not sure if the oil cooler fan is working against the engine fan by sucking air from the engine compartment out the bottom of the fender (not enough flow), air flow from the car moving wants to go the reverse route, or the cooler just too small (only size that would fit). I need to experiment more and reverse the fan to suck air from the fender and into the engine compartment. But this means blowing hot air to the engine fan.

Now Crocteau,

I would upload a PDF of the article, but yes copyright concerns as well as I am Hopeful VW Trends continues to thrive and grow. As a compromise here is a picture of the Display Board I use when going to car shows that explains all my work on the car.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
I would upload a PDF of the article, but yes copyright concerns as well as I am Hopeful VW Trends continues to thrive and grow. As a compromise here is a picture of the Display Board I use when going to car shows that explains all my work on the car.
Fair enough, thanks! Back in the day VW Trends shut down in the middle of my subscription; once bitten... Speak to the hand
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:

You are smiling, right?
if your not you should be!
Beautiful Ghia
Congrats! Cool

Mike Gerson

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Thanks No Dents, appreciate the pic and the description/problems you've found. It looks really nice despite the problems you have noticed. I'm still trying to figure out the best location and will either mount above the trans, below the cargo area, or relook at where Vlad mounted his under the frame. Wherever I can get the best cooling performance for the full flow system.

Either way your Ghia is awesome!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

What a great thread! Lovely to see the faces behind the gorgeous Ghias on the forum. It reminds me how little I’ve been on the Ghia pages recently!

First pic I found is actually Kiwighia68, in our Ghia on a flying visit to Scotland on one of his round-the-world trips!

And one of the two of us on one of our Ghia daytrips!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
What a great thread! Lovely to see the faces behind the gorgeous Ghias on the forum. It reminds me how little I’ve been on the Ghia pages recently!

First pic I found is actually Kiwighia68, in our Ghia on a flying visit to Scotland on one of his round-the-world trips!

That was a very special day, Phil. Lots of golf courses around Edinburgh, but man, it was cold!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

That was a very special day, Phil. Lots of golf courses around Edinburgh, but man, it was cold!

I’ve been near frozen in Central Otago Chris, so it only seemed fair to return the honour!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Nick "Wyatt Earp"squinting in the bright sunlight whilst gazing lovingly at his '56 in a Hampshire pub garden...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Nick "Wyatt Earp"squinting in the bright sunlight whilst gazing lovingly at his '56 in a Hampshire pub garden...

Why do I suddenly feel thirsty? Smile

Mike Gerson

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

Why do I suddenly feel thirsty? Smile

I was the passenger yesterday so I had the strong one. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

As the initiator of this thread, I feel obligated to renew the invitiation in case some of you pass by Munich, for a beer tasting at my place.
Including sleep accomodation, because it may go on for some time.
And yes, seing those glasses made me get one right now.
Cheers, Ghia friends! Red Ghia
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

I've been hanging out in the oval and split bus forums for the last 14 years. Been following this Ghia forum since last August when I acquired this 68 coupe which had belonged to a late friend and laying dormant for decades.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Bermuda Blue, one of m favorite stock colors.
Looks like a very nice save.
Welcome to where all the cool kids hang out Cool

Mike Gerson

3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Bermuda Blue, one of m favorite stock colors.
Looks like a very nice save.
Welcome to where all the cool kids hang out Cool

The original color is L50F, Regatta Blue. The car was repainted in 1977 an AMC powder blue laquer with blue pearl flames. It was a Hot VWs feature car in the March 1986 issue.
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The faces of the Ghia Forum. Who are you? Reply with quote

Hey Ghia-Sambanistas,

thats me in 1997 on a roadtrip to Vegas. The ghia still dressed in powerful red.

Now thats me about 25 years later. The ghia is re-dressed after a complete make-over in charming yellow on its maiden voyage.

All the best Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: