Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brothers VW - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: brothersvw
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: January 30, 2024
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a recommendation from the samba about Brothers, glad I took my parts to them, and there prices are extremely fair or better than online prices, I was just gonna have some machine work done there and ended up spending $2000 more in parts from them because there prices were so good.

The heads they did for me for a turbo motor look great, I drove down there 3 times in a month, great to talk to, they never tried to push me out of there shop like they were to busy or anything and yes they were busy, but answered all my questions, top notch, they have my business now.

THANKS BROTHERS!!!!
catfish54-46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I'm not one to complain but here it goes.
I sent brothers my case to be cut for 90.5, full flow'd, and align bore checked.
I also paid for a set of main bearings that were supposed to be matched to my case. The price was 190.00 including shipping to nj($45).
Work took about 3 weeks. Case was shipped a week after they received payment. No main bearings still as of yet, so I bought a set from cb.
The case wasn't plugged by the pump, the align bore that they said was good is Binding my crank. I tried 2 different cranks both .10 and both bind up.
But my main issue is the way the surfacing was done. Cylinders 1/2 have 0.010/0.013. Cylinders 3/4 are poking out da damn barrels! I have not seen this before, and I'm very disappointed with having to spend $250 in machining and shipping with an end result of needing a new case. The surfaced area was cut lob sided on the 1/2 and way too deep on the 3/4
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I noticed there are a few unhappy customers, not many, but some. All I know is my experience with "The Brothers" has been excellent. I have assembled two engines from them and had them assemble one engine for me. They are all running very well. One was a 2165 and two are 1776's. I am no longer doing VW's due to my age and health. I am still driving my Hebmuller with the 1776 Kadron engine and it runs great. I also use Rancho transaxles and never a problem with them either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

catfish54-46 wrote:
I'm not one to complain but here it goes.
I sent brothers my case to be cut for 90.5, full flow'd, and align bore checked.
I also paid for a set of main bearings that were supposed to be matched to my case. The price was 190.00 including shipping to nj($45).
Work took about 3 weeks. Case was shipped a week after they received payment. No main bearings still as of yet, so I bought a set from cb.
The case wasn't plugged by the pump, the align bore that they said was good is Binding my crank. I tried 2 different cranks both .10 and both bind up.
But my main issue is the way the surfacing was done. Cylinders 1/2 have 0.010/0.013. Cylinders 3/4 are poking out da damn barrels! I have not seen this before, and I'm very disappointed with having to spend $250 in machining and shipping with an end result of needing a new case. The surfaced area was cut lob sided on the 1/2 and way too deep on the 3/4

Did you buy Mahle align bore bearings? I have had MAJOR problems with them and only use the Silverline right now.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catfish54-46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Nope, it's a brand new silver line set from cb. First cut on case, first on crank. The crank is from dpr Vw 69mm and checks out perfect. I tried a used stock Vw crank with .10 undersized mains and it responded the same way.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

catfish54-46 wrote:
Nope, it's a brand new silver line set from cb. First cut on case, first on crank. The crank is from dpr Vw 69mm and checks out perfect. I tried a used stock Vw crank with .10 undersized mains and it responded the same way.

Strange.....any chance the locating pins on the corners of the case got removed?

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catfish54-46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I haven't taken the pins out. I have the crank turning free now by sanding the main bearing a bit. I checked deck height a few different ways and this is what I have. #1 with 0.020 shim = 0.014
#2 with 0.020 shim= 0.013
#3 with 0.020 shim= 0.011
#4 with0.040 shim = 0.014
Still haven't received the bearings I paid them for either. I'm done now, I'll buy a new case. And they can keep the 190.00 I paid them to screw mine up
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought a pair of mid D port heads plus idf and ida matched manifolds for a friend 2276 in France, never had such a smooth deal accross the pond, and only one week lead time for some ported heads wow !

Many thanks Renato.

Vince from France

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Has anyone heard from Renato/Brothers lately?
They stopped replying to emails. The last time I received a reply is early January, I'm waiting on the cost to ship parts back to me. I've sent 3 follow up emails since.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had another great experience with Brothers, purchased a bunch of parts, cases and engine parts for 3 jobs I am doing, they also did some case work for me, great work and good prices on there parts, thanks again guys!

Rick (mcdragracer).
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I hate to leave bad feedback but I'm about fed up and not sure what to do at this point.

TLDR: Its been like 3+ months and they lost my heads. Very difficult to get anyone on the phone.

Full story:

My motor had a crack at the full flow inlet and was seeping oil. I called Brothers VW, he said they can fix it no problem. I asked if they can get me in and out in a day, he said no problem. So I drove down there on a Thursday (about 4 hours) and dropped off my motor. At the same time, figured might as well have them do headwork on a set of heads I had laying around. No plans for them, just need freshening up for when the time comes.

When I arrived, I explained the situation. Was told its not an issue, they will weld the case for me and I can pick it up by noon the next day (Friday). In regards to the heads I explained everything I needed done and I told him no rush on that, he can just ship those back to me.

Show up Friday afternoon, motor is done. Weld looks good. I pay him and we load the motor into my truck. I noticed the tag that had ALL the details of what I needed was attached to the motor. This should have been my first indication that perhaps organization is lacking here...

So I tell him, Hey man you're going to need this tag as it has all the work I need done plus all my info for my heads which are at the bottom of your cart. He decides to make a new tag, I go over everything a second a time. I also watched him write my name in sharpie on the heads.

Fast forward 3 weeks, never heard anything. I call, no answer. This went on for about 2 weeks. Just can't get ahold of anyone. Finally around week 5 someone answers. I explain the situation, he says "let me check". I wait about 5+ minutes and he comes back to say "I can't find your heads, let me call you back on Tuesday". (this would be week 6)

Never received a call back, I call them back the following week (we are now week 7). Explain the situation (again) as if i'm talking to a new person. Same story, "I can't find your heads, maybe I can just send you a set of big valve heads?".

Now the heads I gave them were nothing to crazy. IIRC they were like 041 castings 40/35.5 valves, minor port work, and cut for 90.5s. So I say sure, that'll work as long as they are about what I gave you. We went over the details (3rd time now) of the heads and what I needed. We talked about the possible cam I would use and about what CC I'd need. He follows up with "I'll call you Tuesday, if I can't find them we will work it out".

That Tuesday would have been week 8. Guess what I didn't get, a call back as promised. Week 9 comes around, and again I can't seem to get anyone to pickup the phone. Week 10 they decide to answer. I'm told, "I found your heads". "Oh, thats great news. Are they ready?" "No, I will work on them this week and call you Tuesday when they are ready."

Tuesday comes around (week 11), once again no call back. I've been trying to call them for the last 3 weeks now and there is never an answer on the phone. About 45 minutes ago I tried calling and it went to a voicemail before I hit max rings. In other words, I was sent to voicemail by someone, not automatically.

Not really sure what to do at this point. These guys do good work but holy hell they have the worst customer service and their organization is obviously lacking to have "lost" a customers heads. Guess I'll just keep calling, maybe i'll take the 4 hour trip and just show up at their door...
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Glenn asked me to post here, despite not being feedback. Now seeing the above post makes me wonder if went back to Mexico with all their wealth and "misplaced" goods.

--------

Sent them Dad's 40HP case 13 October, received on the 17th, and called last week and again yesterday, heard nothing.

I looked up the website to get the number and now says the domain is available, no Brothers website.

So seems they have folded, not answering their telephone and no website. Does anyone know how I can get the case back?

It has sentimental meaning being Dad rebuilt it last and the original case to Ruby.

I also feel bad for other folks, this was the last place to get cases machined for camshaft bearings. Now we have to run without camshaft bearings.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

To the above posters, I will be traveling for work through Ontario tomorrow and staying at a hotel 17 minutes away from their address according to my maps app. If you are willing to pay for my uber I can go knock on the door to verify if they're in business or not. Shoot me a pm and we can swap numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
To the above posters, I will be traveling for work through Ontario tomorrow and staying at a hotel 17 minutes away from their address according to my maps app. If you are willing to pay for my uber I can go knock on the door to verify if they're in business or not. Shoot me a pm and we can swap numbers.

Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated. Very Happy

I got a reply from a Kona Fleming (not sure if the owner) stating he didn't understand my question, so re-phased and waiting for a reply. Say by this afternoon I hear nothing will shoot you a PM, is that okay?

I also found on Mr. Fleming's personal page, which has a lot of posts on machining and parts, he posted an email: [email protected]. I was diagnosed only 14 years ago with Autism so still learning social skills, though my guess be to give some time before emailing him, too soon come off as harassment.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
94touring wrote:

Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated. Very Happy

I got a reply from a Kona Fleming (not sure if the owner) stating he didn't understand my question, so re-phased and waiting for a reply. Say by this afternoon I hear nothing will shoot you a PM, is that okay?

I also found on Mr. Fleming's personal page, which has a lot of posts on machining and parts, he posted an email: [email protected]. I was diagnosed only 14 years ago with Autism so still learning social skills, though my guess be to give some time before emailing him, too soon come off as harassment.

What does Kona have to do with Brothers?

I had some heads ported by Brother's earlier this year Jan-Feb. Didn't notice anything awry. Heads are awesome as always.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
I got a reply from a Kona Fleming (not sure if the owner)

What does Kona have to do with Brothers?

Agreed... i'm confused.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Yes. Still in business. They're just not answering.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Well good luck to you all. I just got a schedule change so won't be making it down there now anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

Got the call, neither of us discussed the past and remained friendly.

Without asking, charged about an extra $350 for thrust cutting the case and decking (bearings machined for the case an additional $45). This means I have $38 for the rest of the month for groceries.

I didn't have the estimate in front of me, otherwise would have asked why a line bore is about $100 yet cutting thrust is far exceeds that.

Supposedly be here early next week and will let you know if did in fact provide thrust cut bearings and how the case sits.

For the future, either have a signed estimate emailed to me or or buy a case with the camshaft bearings.

DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brothers VW - [email protected] Reply with quote

I live 3 mins from Brothers very much in business you gotta realize its two man operation they are building motors not hanging by the phone sometimes you have to go in and out the door 3 times to sound the door chime thats on a PA speaker 100 decibels they are mostly deaf and use ear plugs to retain what's left of their hearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: