Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project cars everywhere
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Looking at the classifieds it seems there are more and more abandoned projects being listed with no takers. Anyone else noticing this?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Yep. And not just the samba classifieds, but also craigslist and just about every other place you can list cars. It's pretty rare now to find a nicely sorted, drivable Ghia for sale that isn't a slapped together bondo bucket.

I keep an eye on 914 listings as well, and it's pretty much the same story there too.

Rising values of nice cars have made the heaps of junk that have been languishing in peoples' yards actually worth trying to sell.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

You probably also find the rising values bringing more people into the hobby, only to find they have no skills, room, money, family support, etc. and the project goes dormant and is put up for sale.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

I’m also thinking there are fewer and fewer guys around who know how or have the interest to restore a car and fewer shops as well. I hate to feed into the millineal stereotype, but that generation seems to like to buy nice ones but lack the hands on skills to repair or restore a car. But then they grew up with cars that are essentially maintenance free or so complicated that you can’t work on them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

I agree with the above statements. I would like to add the lack of commitment to many of the newer generations. There is a significant commitment in time and that is were many lack. They may have access to funds, but it takes a lot of time and attention to detail as well.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I hate to feed into the millineal stereotype, but that generation seems to like to buy nice ones but lack the hands on skills to repair or restore a car. But then they grew up with cars that are essentially maintenance free or so complicated that you can’t work on them.

Ahem! Millenial here doing a body off bare metal restoration Cool

I think you boomers are confusing millenials and Gen Z Laughing

But seriously, you're not totally wrong. Although most of my friends and I all work on our own cars, whether they're modern or vintage. Although I will say that as we've gotten into our mid 30's and early 40's those numbers of us that enjoy wrenching have grown. I know when I was in my 20's all I wanted to do was party on the weekends, and I had no interest in working on cars. I don't think it's really a hobby for 20-somethings, because you do need a good bit of disposable income as well as friends who are too busy with girlfriends/wives/families to go out and get hammered every weekend, both of which you're more likely to have as you get into your 30's.

But to be totally honest, I don't personally know a single person over the age of 50 that has any interest in turning a wrench anymore. My dad was the only one, but after 2 knee replacements he's retired his tools. All the boomers I know in my life take their shiny new cars to the dealership for service.

I think each generation has a small percentage of people who are mechanically minded and enjoy tinkering, and those people tend to congregate either in person or on forums like this one. Just because you don't know people from another generation who like to wrench, doesn't mean they don't exist. Don't listen to the BS in the media.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:43 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Quote:
But then they grew up with cars that are essentially maintenance free

I was talking with someone the other day about why I'm messing with old VWs. I told him it was because my everyday drivers don't need any work, and I miss wrenching on cars.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Let’s not forget that the economy has completely taken a shit & people might be trying to scrounge up much needed cash to pay for gas, groceries, & rent.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Let’s not forget that the economy has completely taken a shit & people might be trying to scrounge up much needed cash to pay for gas, groceries, & rent.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Project cars are huge holes in which to pour money and times are getting tighter for lots of folks.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I think this is the most likely scenario. Project cars are huge holes in which to pour money and times are getting tighter for lots of folks.

Going back to the early 70's, I would always stop to watch old cars go by. It didn't matter if it was a Karmann Ghia or a 57 Chevy, I enjoyed them all. But the one thing that has not changed in over 50 years is that most of the time, the person behind the wheel is older, like 45+. As a kid I knew it was usually about money. The cars I liked were expensive and were usually toys. I don't think it's any different today.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Almost everybody can tear an old car apart.....Few can restore it and put it back together. Most of it is a younger crowd....instant gratification.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
Almost everybody can tear an old car apart.....Few can restore it and put it back together. Most of it is a younger crowd....instant gratification.

It does seem like a lot of the project cars out there are dismantled, partially cut up, often sections sanded down to metal and left to rust…
My sense is some guys make the mistake of buying a Ghia as their first project car and then very soon realizing they are way over their head. It’s one of the hardest cars to restore correctly if there is body damage.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Literally every generation has had a similar demographic re 'car guys.' And the 'car guys' are always in a very small minority, regardless of how we see it, being into, and exposed to it as we are.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Could it also be people cashing in on the used car bubble? Even though the rundown Ghias may need restoration, I assume the increasing prices on used daily drivers are pushing up prices of all old cars.

I was shopping around for a 15 yo Prius and they are going for $10k easy when one year ago they were about $6k.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

Well, some of us pick up a car that we think needs a few cosmetic improvements, and then we find it's a project car.

Body off.

Lower 6 inches rusted to rot.

Engine rebuild.

Upholstery shot.

Rubber perished.

This "love at first sight" thing has led many a man astray.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project cars everywhere Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
This "love at first sight" thing has led many a man astray.

Precisely why I have no attachment to the 356C that I picked up as an abandoned project. Nonetheless I persist with it despite it having bits missing and parts scattered to the winds. That I think comes from my training. To identify what can be done, then to do it in bite size chunks, to finally finish it is not an easy call, especially so from a position at the starting line.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: