Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stahlwille Tool General Thread
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Hazet tools has a couple of threads dedicated to just them. I thought I would start one for Stahlwille as I have recently acquired a very cool tool made by them.

Here is a Stahlwille 1415 clutch cable adjusting ratchet. There is a combination 10mm/14mm socket that is permanently mounted to the ratchet. It is hollow all the way through the socket & ratchet head so the cable can pass through as you tighten the nuts. The ratchet is only about 11cm / 4 1/4" long.

Has anyone seen this tool before or own one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Interesting.
If the socket part turns them both at the same time (looks like it does), I'm not sure how it would be helpful other than to run the nuts onto the threaded part of the cable and set the cable/pedal freeplay. The smaller nut (sometimes it has an 11mm head) is a locknut for the larger nut, so you'd have to tighten them with two wrenches after the freeplay is set.
Pretty cool.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Yes, I believe you would unlock & lock the nuts after you adjust them. I am guessing it was not a very popular tool as the wing nuts are much better & faster to work with. Any mechanic would want to install a wing nut to save on install time/money.

For the vintage guy it is super cool though.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

I recall 11mm & 14mm wrenches required, even the KD tool kit with two ratcheting tools were 11mm & 14mm. No offense but but I do not see how that tool would work on the clutch cable, besides the 10mm sizing, the small nut needs loosened while the 14mm is held, one of the reasons I tossed that system and put wing nuts on.

Edit - Here is one of the KD Tools #50 for sale on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-Unused-Sealed....l4275.c10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Google translation is Nut Long Screw Coupling Adjustable, so where is a German speaker when you need one?

Where the earlies 10mm x 14mm, the early sixty bugs/buses I worked on had 11mm.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the catalogue page. That is very cool.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Here is another very cool Stahwille tool. It is also in the above catalogue page. Tool #1024.

This is magnetic & attaches to the top 17mm bolt by the top of the transmission so one person can install the upper bolts/nuts.

Both have different stampings.

Martyn.griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Came across these at a local tip a few weeks ago. Wanted to find out a bit more and came across this thread, solves a few questions. Thanks.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

I have one of the 1024 tools... but, it has about 3.5’ of dash chain attached to it... with a little bell on the end.
Anybody know what would be a useful reason to attach the chain/bell?... where the chain:bell would be routed to?
Chain/bell makes me think the wrench might be left there... for continuous use/leave in place.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I have one of the 1024 tools... but, it has about 3.5’ of dash chain attached to it... with a little bell on the end.
Anybody know what would be a useful reason to attach the chain/bell?... where the chain:bell would be routed to?
Chain/bell makes me think the wrench might be left there... for continuous use/leave in place.

Never seen that before but has to be so that it does not get forgotten & left stuck to the bolt behind the motor. 😁

I bet whoever did that to your tool had already lost one that way. 😂
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Thank you Corey. Sounds very reasonable. I bought it from Cambria Brad... after he lost his ability to speak. He was trying to explain it to me... emphasizing the importance of the bell. I wasn’t quite picking up what he was laying down.

He was selling the last of his stuff. Kitty was there helping... but I just didn’t want to ask him to write it down. I nodded as if I knew what he was trying to convey.

It was a hard day, I could tell his time was short.
It sucks to bargain with a dying man, no longer able to live his passion.
Happy to have been able to bullshit with him though and do a little of the inevitable haggle we all love.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

I have those same tools in both 10/14 and 11/14. Never seen another set- they are very small (about 2.5") for obvious cramped areas

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

TK6A5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

Reviving this thread. I am looking for the spark plug socket shown in the ad. Would anybody know of one?
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

a few more vw specific tools, another engine mount bolt tool + a roughly era correct torque wrench.

at one stage i had a VW style Stahlwille 77mm ring compressor too.

i ended up with my engine mount bolt tool as the mechanic i got it from had two. he left his first one on a car (not a regular customer) after a while bought the one i now have and 6-8 years later the car he left the first one on came back in... to his pleasant surprise his origination tool was still on the bolt under the car. 😁
TK6A5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stahlwille Tool General Thread Reply with quote

TK6A5 wrote:
Reviving this thread. I am looking for the spark plug socket shown in the ad. Would anybody know of one?

Bump, would love to find the sparkplug tool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: