Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon progress update…getting closer!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Need help remembering where these 2 black brackets go. One for the driver’s seat and one for the passenger. The one end is obviously held by a sheet metal screw which I have a few remaining…the other end is a large round hole.

Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I did figure out these 2 brackets. They are a stiffner for the seat base. Does a double duty attaching the seat back cable and securing to a point by the seat back pivot. It all makes perfect sense when you know Smile .

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

To start with I want to thank Ray Greenwood for rebuilding my brake master cylinder properly. I was so grateful that he tackled my job. He most certainly is the person you want to have doing this.

I installed it yesterday following his instructions…believe me that is important. It was a long 6 hour day of trying and retrying to bleed the brake lines, but finally after much persistence I got it done. I did not give up…took a few breaks though Very Happy . You know, sanity breaks.

I was also working on my rear view mirrors. Had new glass cut and I ended up using the original plastic seals (trimming them a bit). They make for proper spacing when you silicon everything together. I hope it holds up.

Today was another milestone victory day. I had not yet tried running my gas heater that I had painstakingly cleaned and replaced some parts. You just hope for the best. Well, I turned it on and NOTHING. Not a sound. Hmmm… do I dig into my BA 4 troubleshooting guide. Ok, I did but after the first page I said to myself this has got to be something really simple. It ran when I stored the 412 away 20 years ago. Something was telling me to look at the main on/off lever by the handbrake. It’s just a simple ground switch and it wasn’t responding in the on position. I jumped the wire to ground and the heater blower came alive! That was a joyous noise and shortly after that the burner kicked in with wonderful smoke out the passenger heating ducts. I let it run until the smoke cleared and then nothing but wonderful heat flow after that. YES, IT WORKS! I shut it down and went ahead and took the switch apart for cleaning and light sanding to rid the corrosion. Now it all works with that simple lever switch.

Another good day and getting real close to the finish line!

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Finished reinstalling the original liner and other trunk related parts today. Glad to get that done.

Something I had never noticed befote. On the wagons the jack lives under the rear seat. The first photo shows a painted outline of the jack that was done by the factory. Thought that was kind of interesting. The second photo shows the jack stored in place with the hold down clip. All these years I had that clip stored in a box of 412 goodies but had no idea what it was. So glad I did not throw it away!
Bill

NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Way to go Bill. Don't give up. I'm finally at the reassemble stage as well. Hopefully done this year.

Cheers,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Been having a hell of a time getting this engine to run consistently right for a few weeks now. I admit it had me flustered... experienced ALOT of type 4 frustration and anger. But today I won! It was not easy.

WHAT IS THIS ROUGH IDLE AND DROPPING CYLINDERS? But yet part to heavy throttle felt good. I became a real pro at assembling and disassembling my MPS thinking there was the problem. I have 3 of them and from that I could build 2 good ones. I finally used the one I removed the epoxy plug for an adjustable, using the new diaphram from Tangerine Racing. I kept adjusting it with the engine running but could never achieve smooth running. I spent hours on this but no improvement. By the way, I also purchased a new Bosch Blue ignition coil.

Ok... maybe I"m dropping injectors. I purchased a Noid Light which you plug into the fuel injector wiring plug connection. Let the engine run and check the light flashing signal. Every injector had a nice pulse so the signal from the computer is present.. Computer and wiring is ok.

Next... remove each fuel injector and check for fuel spray and quantity in a glass jar. All 4 passed this test. Looks like my injectors are ok.

Keep going... with the engine running I disconnected one at a time the fuel injector plugs. Hmmm... #4 cylinder produces no power loss. All the rest made substantial running changes. Went ahead and switched two plug wires and the weak cylinder was still #4. DAMN! Must be low compression on a fresh engine of all things.

On to a compression test, but thankfully I never had to do one. I pulled #4 spark and look what I found!

The damn thing is cracked. I installed a new plug and the engine ran like new. Very Happy

Tomorrow is the acid test. Gonna take Goldie on a trip around the block. Wish me luck, I'm worn out from all this Crying or Very sad

Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Problem solved, nice to hear Bill!

Been there, done that...
Had a very similar issue on a 411, p.o. had teared the engine down due to bad running, looking for a burned valve etc..
Nothing bad was found, I put the engine back together - still ran like crap.
Turned out to be a tiny little crack in one of the spark plug hats!!

Keep up the good work Bill!!!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Back in the old days we used the SUN engine analyzers and it would have shown this on the scope. Well… I don’t have one of these machines at home and not sure what is even used today on older cars. It’s all trial and error and a bit of guessing on your own. I admit I was probably a little too hung up on the injection, but there were problems to be sorted there also. It’s mostly 50 year old components for crying out loud Brick wall .

Thanks Lars S for the encouragement. Greatly needed right now!

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Hi everyone..

Joke all you want, you have heard it before I"m sure. 411, 4 doors, 11 years too late. Well mine only has 2 doors and it"s never too late Very Happy .

Today was a GREAT day. I finally exorcised the gremlins. Got the front seats installed and took Goldie for a short spin around the neighborhood. Has excellent manners except no alignment yet. Can't go too far. God, she runs sweet! I"m 99 percent there so gonna celebrate with some photos now. Enjoy...

A big thanks to Ray Greenwood for the seat glides. They won"t work without these guys.

...and here"s Goldie

Bill
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Cool
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Aber Schön!
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
Aber Schön!

Ja, Danke. Es war viel Arbeit gewesen. Immer noch nicht fertig, weisst Du.

Bill
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Stunning work...looks fantastic!
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I have to share this reaction I got out on the road yesterday…

Rolled up to a construction flagger and stopped. He immediately layed his stop sign on the ground and approached me with his hands touching the front fender. He said something to the affect that he is reading about this odd and rare VW in a VW magazine. He was overwhelmed! He walked around touching all four corners of Goldie as he went.

I never anticipated this car would stir this kind of emotion. I have to say when I am out and about I get alot of looks, smiles and waves. Sure feels good!

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Bill,
That is absolutely fabulous! You are bringing joy to all sorts of people. Hopefully I can come down and visit once my 412 is finished. It could be a real show stopper having both gold and blue and sedan and wagon together.

Cheers,
Walter
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

My children together when the sun was still shining around here Laughing. Added a rear fog lamp on the wagon. The bus has been in our family since december ‘67. Time flies folks…

Bill

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Nice! Show us a close up and maybe a part number for the rear fog lamp please!

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I found this on PartsGeek which has a bunch of Hella products. It is actually for a Porsche 914 but fits in the stock bumper holes that the factory provided. No drilling because the hole is the perfect size for the mounting stud. Very nice quality with a real metal body and chromed. You do have to provide your own wiring and bulb.
Bill

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I love great outcomes!

My wife and I were in Palm Springs for a couple weeks soaking in some badly needed sun. I had already planned 1 day to travel to San Bernardino and adjacent areas for some 412 parts. The prize part I came up with was the automatic trans kickdown micro switch. Removed it from a wrecked 412 shell. In perfect shape. Luckily this switch lives under a cover which keeps it out of the elements.

I installed it today. Fingers crossed took Goldie for a test drive. Wow, it works just like I remembered back in the old days. Had to have this part to make this car as complete as possible, that's the way I am. Pedal to the floor and bam, the trans shifts down and that hi compression 1700 responds big time and just takes off. BIG SMILE on my face for sure!

Bill
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
I love great outcomes!

My wife and I were in Palm Springs for a couple weeks soaking in some badly needed sun. I had already planned 1 day to travel to San Bernardino and adjacent areas for some 412 parts. The prize part I came up with was the automatic trans kickdown micro switch. Removed it from a wrecked 412 shell. In perfect shape. Luckily this switch lives under a cover which keeps it out of the elements.

I installed it today. Fingers crossed took Goldie for a test drive. Wow, it works just like I remembered back in the old days. Had to have this part to make this car as complete as possible, that's the way I am. Pedal to the floor and bam, the trans shifts down and that hi compression 1700 responds big time and just takes off. BIG SMILE on my face for sure!

Bill
Congratulations on the Junkyard find, and the restored performance of your Automatic... A true Win Win... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: