Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marfa61KG wrote:
looks nice. why is it a frankenghia?

wheel607 wrote:
Read the posts that have already been written about it....right here!

Yes it's been well documented some months ago when it first appeared for sale on BaT. Might be a little difficult to find all the details now but basically it's a mix of a '58 with parts of a '56. The major giveaway is the dash which most certainly comes from a '56 Ghia. It seems very unlikely the seller doesn't know this yet deems not to mention it in the flowery description of the car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, Dan and John.
That made more sense than saying "Look it up". Wink
vw.dodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

What bothers me the most is the sellers or auctioneers who go into their long-winded history of the Karmann Ghia and say very little about the actual car itself. I normally view that as a distraction and immediately wonder what is being hidden. I haven’t studied this car yet and don’t know the complete backstory, but it appears that plenty of money has been spent on it and the results are quite nice. With that said, authentic restorations yield a much higher return and more respect throughout the hobby when they begin with an honest car and end with an honest seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Ill add to what v.w.dodge said........watch out when they start out by telling you the HISTORY of VW and wind up telling you very little about the Vehicle they are selling. Like this pile of parts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

I see people do that with Type 34s all the time - They list the "standard" Type 34 history could of paragraphs that are all over the Internet.

I agree with the comments above.
Don't care, tell me about the actual car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

vw.dodge wrote:
...the sellers...say very little about the actual car itself.

EverettB wrote:
...tell me about the actual car.

Lack of any useful info is fairly common at this type of auction. The bidders here are mostly interested in investment-grade vehicles, and they may not know enough about any one particular car to look for the small details that really count. But they do know when a vehicle has good potential for a positive ROI, and that's what they're after.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

1973 Convertible
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-13/
90's look resto

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1973 Convertible
90's look resto

Car has a salvage title, I bet from the nose damage. Seller sure isn’t ,providing very many pictures of the crucial areas like bottom of the car, inside the nose, etc.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1973 Convertible
90's look resto

Car has a salvage title, I bet from the nose damage. Seller sure isn’t ,providing very many pictures of the crucial areas like bottom of the car, inside the nose, etc.

Seems like an decent car for someone not looking for an investment quality car. I wonder if this car was registered in California it would receive a salvage title.
Seems that the price is already getting high for a car that has a nose job, some rust issues, incorrect tacky interior and seats and a salvage title.
1961 Karmann Ghia convertible
1965 Karmann Ghia convertible
1973 Karmann Ghia convertible Sport Edition
1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

JAL78 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1973 Convertible
90's look resto

Seems like an decent car for someone not looking for an investment quality car. I wonder if this car was registered in California it would receive a salvage title.
Seems that the price is already getting high for a car that has a nose job, some rust issues, incorrect tacky interior and seats and a salvage title.

Can’t wash a salvage title. It sticks like stink on crap. Insurance companies made sure of that.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
A custom interior 62 convertible just came up.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible/

Sold $14,500
Well bought imo

Mike Gerson

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Sold $14,500
Well bought imo

Getting closer to the amounts that Karmann's should sell for and its problems are nothing that buckets of money won't fix.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Sold $14,500
Well bought imo

Getting closer to the amounts that Karmann's should sell for and its problems are nothing that buckets of money won't fix.

I’m thinking well sold. It’s going to cost someone triple that to make it right. It’s going to need pans, rockers, lower fenders all around, quite possible heater channels, a transmission, top, interior…

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Sold $14,500
Well bought imo

I’m thinking well sold. It’s going to cost someone triple that to make it right. It’s going to need pans, rockers, lower fenders all around, quite possible heater channels, a transmission, top, interior…

Let’s hope it gets the full and proper treatment.
$50k plus the buy in and you probably won’t be upside down when done.
Who’d of thunk Cool

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Sold $14,500
Well bought imo

...bumpers, tires, muffler?, rubber seals, wire harness, tar boards, mud guards for front fenders, engine work?.......

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
1973 Convertible
90's look resto

This one didn't provide much entertainment. Sold for $17,500.
Only 13 bids, and very few comments. Not an exciting Ghia and the seller really didn't put much effort into the sale. I think he's lucky he got what he did. Between the salvage title, and the lack information about what to expect under the paint, I'd say that price was not bad.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
1973 Convertible
90's look resto

This one didn't provide much entertainment. Sold for $17,500.
Only 13 bids, and very few comments. Not an exciting Ghia and the seller really didn't put much effort into the sale. I think he's lucky he got what he did. Between the salvage title, and the lack information about what to expect under the paint, I'd say that price was not bad.

Yeah it was a weird sale. If it didn’t have the salvage title I bet it would have sold for near double more. It’s the sort of Ghia that seems to do well with the BAT audience.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marfa61KG wrote:

wheel607 wrote:

Yes it's been well documented some months ago when it first appeared for sale on BaT. Might be a little difficult to find all the details now but basically it's a mix of a '58 with parts of a '56. The major giveaway is the dash which most certainly comes from a '56 Ghia. It seems very unlikely the seller doesn't know this yet deems not to mention it in the flowery description of the car.

If anyone is interested in watching it sell (8-18-22), forward to the 19:35 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65n7v0IVgNQ
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

cruiser wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Marfa61KG wrote:

wheel607 wrote:

If anyone is interested in watching it sell (8-18-22), forward to the 19:35 mark here:

I think we'll draw the line under this one, kind of depressing to see it go for that much. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

cruiser wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Marfa61KG wrote:

wheel607 wrote:

Hard to imagine a more high profile make getting that kind of money for a non numbers matching car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 112

Jump to: