Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Coupler Chatter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

I replaced the shift rod bushing & also installed a new shift coupler on our ‘71 Beetle but I’m still getting a (kinda noisy) chatter from the coupler area. What could it be? When I first removed the panel to get to the coupler there was a lot of foam padding crammed around the coupler.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

The foam was a Band-Aid to deaden the coupler (perceived) noise. When really the noise was caused by the worn shift rod bushing.

When I change the coupling, I use the stock cage and install the new plastic bits in it.
Make sure that the coupling grub screw is tight and safety wired in place.

Check your trans mounts, nosecone, and bellhousing cradle.
Look for the rubber bits separated from the metal plates.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Thanks. Everything I’ve replaced so far are the shift rod bushing, shift coupler (aftermarket poly), & the mounts at the bell housing cradle. The only thing I didn’t replace was the mount at the nose cone.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
shift coupler (aftermarket poly)

Was it red in color?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

If it is the red poly get rid of it and put the rubber one in. It will last longer. I used the OE cage with the new rubber parts from this.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311711211
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
If it is the red poly get rid of it and put the rubber one in. It will last longer. I used the OE cage with the new rubber parts from this.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311711211

Those are not in stock. I have them Genuine VW in stock: https://www.vwnos.com/311-798-211-2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Your right, sorry.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
When I change the coupling, I use the stock cage and install the new bits in it.

That's what I did on my 1970 back in 2017. The brand new coupler actually did not fit so I used the old metal cage and the new black rubber/plastic parts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So much for Chinese-made copies these days - can't even copy dimensions of a simple part......sad....and sad for the USA importers who don't even check this stuff yet put their name on it and sell it....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
sad for the USA importers who don't even check this stuff yet put their name on it and sell it...

They keep me in business. If it doesn't fit I don't sell it. If it is crappy part I don't sell it. My complaints department is growing cobwebs.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Yes it’s a red coupler from Jbugs, EMPI brand I think. It feels tight though.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
Yes it’s a red coupler from Jbugs, EMPI brand I think. It feels tight though.

If it is rattling it is not tight. Is there up/down plat or side to side play or plat between the screw and the shift rod. Fix the problem.

What shifter are you using? Is the shifter ball rattling in the shift rod cup? Look at that too.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

Is it possible the hole through the shift rod has been egged out and so there’s extra play at the coupler?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

I just checked it again. There’s virtually no loose play at the coupler. Up & down as well as side to side there might be a millimeter of motion. There’s none forward & back. It doesn’t do it constantly while driving just randomly.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

If the “randomly” changes when accelerating or deceleration, then it’s probably due to a broken front transmission mount.

If it is a broken front mount, the easiest fix is a padded front strap kit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

The red poly coupler transmits every little vibration from the transmission right up the shift rod. The original coupler (almost a neoprene-like substance) dampens most of that. After 50 miles of that, I tossed the red poly, and went back to my original coupler, and all was quiet again. Same with poly transmission mounts.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler Chatter Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
The red poly coupler transmits every little vibration from the transmission right up the shift rod. The original coupler (almost a neoprene-like substance) dampens most of that. After 50 miles of that, I tossed the red poly, and went back to my original coupler.

Ok I think I’ll go back to the original (new one) & give that a try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: