Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I’ve been having trouble shifting into first gear, as well as downshifting. It’s both difficult to get it into gear, and it grinds. I’ve been reading through the forum and have some things to check into (ex: stop plate), but while I was looking at the coupler tonight (appears to be okay), I noticed these laying below it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like a gearshift housing bushing to me (https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111301207). I’m guessing it was discarded by the PO, but how do I check to see if there’sa good one installed? Is it even possible that it could break and end up under the coupler? Could this be part of my shifting problem?

Here’s the coupler. Looks okay, right? Is there a way to tell if it’s bad?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Hmm, yeah it does kind of look like that. And... what other bearing shards would be in there? Cam bearing shells are the only other things that look like that to me and those only came along later and I can't imagine how they would ever get in the tunnel. However, you are talking about a Brass bushing. Have you thought to use give them a good rub with red or green Scotch Brite to see the true color of the metal?

Also, have you grabbed the coupler and and given it a good up and down tug to check for play in hockey stick bushings? Usually the coupler is drenched in oil when the hockey stick bushings are leaking. Yours is dirty, but not a slime-bag.

Does the gear selection feel wonky to you? (just parked, no engine running)

Is this still a 36PHP split case transaxle? If so, you can't easily downshift into first gear while in-motion, because 1st does not have synchomesh on it. But 2nd-3rd-4th should be smooth shifting.

Usually gear change issues are from the clutch not wanting to disengage. This can be a clutch issue... or an engine input shaft issue where the pilot bearing in the "gland nut" won't let go of the input shaft.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Have you thought to use give them a good rub with red or green Scotch Brite to see the true color of the metal?

I did clean them up a bit, but just with a shop towel. They definitely seem to be brass. They do seem to be thinner than the ones I linked to at WW though. Maybe that's why they were removed.

glutamodo wrote:
Also, have you grabbed the coupler and and given it a good up and down tug to check for play in hockey stick bushings? Usually the coupler is drenched in oil when the hockey stick bushings are leaking. Yours is dirty, but not a slime-bag.

I did tug at it a little, but I don't know what's too much play vs just the right amount. It definitely moved up and down easily.

glutamodo wrote:
Does the gear selection feel wonky to you? (just parked, no engine running)

I adjusted the stop plate tonight and tried this test and it didn't move through the gears perfectly. It would hang for a second going into first and second. Maybe I need to readjust the stop plate again. When I brought the car home a few months ago, it moved through the gears smoothly with the motor turned off. It seems like the grinding into first is a newer problem.

glutamodo wrote:
Is this still a 36PHP split case transaxle? If so, you can't easily downshift into first gear while in-motion, because 1st does not have synchomesh on it. But 2nd-3rd-4th should be smooth shifting.

This is great info. It is still a 36HP with a split case transaxle. I definitely catch myself trying to downshift to first before I've come to a complete stop. I'll correct this.

glutamodo wrote:
Usually gear change issues are from the clutch not wanting to disengage. This can be a clutch issue... or an engine input shaft issue where the pilot bearing in the "gland nut" won't let go of the input shaft.

One thing I haven't done yet is adjust the clutch cable. I checked it tonight right before I had to close up shop and it seemed a little loose to me (again, not an expert here, just a gut feeling).

Two more things I forgot to mention in the original post:

1. Whenever I push the clutch pedal in, the car gets noisy. I wouldn't say it's a grind, really, but it just gets louder. Is that normal?

2. When I push the clutch pedal in, it has plenty of resistance, but it goes all the way to the floor. I've felt a bad clutch before and this is not the same feeling. This is why I think maybe it could be a matter of just tightening the cable. Would you agree?

By the way, thanks for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Here's the state of the clutch cable. I'm no mechanic, but shouldn't this be somewhat snug? It's really loose.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

You have the original split case transaxle. It will not shift into 1st while moving without grinding. It will also whine in 1st gear much like in reverse. They share some strait cut gears and no syncromesh.

Because 1st lacks a syncro it is common for the 2nd gear syncro to be quite worn after outliving a few engines. It may grind, especially when cold.

If the shifter is loose that can cause similar problems. Grinding into second could be bumping into reverse instead. It could be hard even at a stop to find a gear because the shifter stop points are not the four corners 1-2-3-4 (reverse is actually left of second and should require the push-down of the shifter to reach.)
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Coming back to this issue after tackling some lower-hanging fruit. I took the bug to a local VW meetup recently and the shifting was brutal. First, second, and reverse were all hard to get into and made a loud grinding sound with every shift. First gear is the worst, followed by reverse, then second.

Yesterday, I tightened the clutch cable again and the result was very strange. The clutch pedal feels great. The strange part is that on the test drive, the gear changes all felt mushy, for lack of a better description. When I would let out on the clutch, it was definitely in the next gear, but there wasn't that noticeable gear change that you would expect to feel. It also felt behind in terms of power after letting out on the clutch, which is a completely new thing. That said, the loud grinding noise was much better in first and second. Reverse still gave out a loud grind.

When the car is off, shifting is pretty smooth and easy. No significant hang-up going into any gear. Regardless, I went ahead and adjusted the stop plate again, this time making sure it was dead center on the bolts. Tried it again with motor off and it shifted into each gear smoothly with no issues. I haven't been able to take it out again since making this adjustment, but I'll do that later today.

Anyway, am I staring down the barrel of a transmission rebuild, a clutch replacement, or is there something else I'm missing?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

That brass bushing remains might be from the front transaxle nose cone.

Check that the shift coupler bolts are tight. The safety wires thru those bolts should be set in such a way as to KEEP the bolts tight. As they are now the bolts could loosen slightly and that can cause the hole in the shift rod to wear bigger.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
Coming back to this issue after tackling some lower-hanging fruit. I took the bug to a local VW meetup recently and the shifting was brutal. First, second, and reverse were all hard to get into and made a loud grinding sound with every shift. First gear is the worst, followed by reverse, then second.

Yesterday, I tightened the clutch cable again and the result was very strange. The clutch pedal feels great. The strange part is that on the test drive, the gear changes all felt mushy, for lack of a better description. When I would let out on the clutch, it was definitely in the next gear, but there wasn't that noticeable gear change that you would expect to feel. It also felt behind in terms of power after letting out on the clutch, which is a completely new thing. That said, the loud grinding noise was much better in first and second. Reverse still gave out a loud grind.

When the car is off, shifting is pretty smooth and easy. No significant hang-up going into any gear. Regardless, I went ahead and adjusted the stop plate again, this time making sure it was dead center on the bolts. Tried it again with motor off and it shifted into each gear smoothly with no issues. I haven't been able to take it out again since making this adjustment, but I'll do that later today.

Anyway, am I staring down the barrel of a transmission rebuild, a clutch replacement, or is there something else I'm missing?

It sounds like your clutch cable is TOO TIGHT. As a result, the clutch is slipping when the pedal is released. There should be just a little slack in the cable when the pedal is released, generally determined by making sure the pedal has about 10-20 millimeters of easy movement before firming up.

Please do not try to shift into 1st or reverse while moving. These are not sliding hub gears with syncros but rather sliding gears being directly engaged and disengaged. Doing so repeatedly can damage the gears. The 1960 and older transaxle is a completely different gearbox than the one in 1961 and newer Bugs. I don't see anything from your description that would suggest your transaxle needs a rebuild. You need the clutch adjusted and I would recommend changing the gear oil in it too. A little bit of grumpiness dropping down into 2nd when cold is pretty normal for an older transaxle.

If you hit all gears easily, and you don't go into reverse without pushing down the shifter first, then that adjustment is correct. VW gave a little adjustment range for factory tolerances and some wear in use.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I'll rewire those bolts and loosen the clutch cable next. Thanks for that advice!

Regarding the bushing: I went back out to look at the coupler and record this video. It looks to me like that bushing is completely missing, which would explain the broken bushing laying under the coupler. It doesn't seem like that alone would be causing the shifting issues, but maybe it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzHN-zjAm8

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
I'll rewire those bolts and loosen the clutch cable next. Thanks for that advice!

Regarding the bushing: I went back out to look at the coupler and record this video. It looks to me like that bushing is completely missing, which would explain the broken bushing laying under the coupler. It doesn't seem like that alone would be causing the shifting issues, but maybe it is?

If you can find all 5 gears cleanly when the engine is off then I don't think that is your problem. It is possible that it fell out and was already replaced and they just didn't clean up after themselves. If you can't adjust the shifter so 2nd and reverse are clearly separate then you need to look more at the shifting system. Your shift coupler looks fine but the real test would be rotational play (one of those bolt heads moving a little without the other one moving.) Finding that would suggest it is failing.

For an old transaxle a good drain and replace of the gear oil, new axle boots first if needed, and adjustment of the clutch should be all it needs. There are 3 other areas with seals that can also need them replaced, the axles at the brake drums and the input shaft going to the clutch. These don't tend to leak fast so for the most part I try using them before replacing them.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:

No problem, glad to help. Go ahead and remove the coupler to visually check the tapered holes in the shift rods. Those need to be nice and round, not elongated. Yes if the nose cone bushing is missing that is going to affect shifting. That definitely looks like the bushing is MIA!
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

That missing nose cone bushing is probably your main problem- there's WAY too much play there. The good news is they're cheap. The bad news is you have to drop the motor and trans and take off the nose cone to replace them. If you decide to do it I'd check the trans mounts as well- and you'll need a replacement gasket for the nose cone-trans joint. A new coupler would be a good idea, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Not to be contentious, but I think the bushing can be installed with the transaxle in situ. The big question is if the bore the bushing goes into is good enough to hold it.....
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Not to be contentious, but I think the bushing can be installed with the transaxle in situ. The big question is if the bore the bushing goes into is good enough to hold it.....

I would hope so. Removing the nose cone on a splitcase transaxle is not as simple as on the later transaxles. The old box used a shim gaskets to set bearing preload, so there is a pick-the-right-thickness gasket bit involved.

The thing is, if you can go through the gears easily with the engine off, and always land in the right one, it seems likely the problem is in clutch adjustment, or perhaps even a bad clutch. [*] If it is just grinding going into 2nd gear that's a different problem, but many old Bug transaxles are in service with somewhat worn 2nd gear syncros. If you are trying to shift a pre-'61 transaxle into first while moving (or any into reverse while moving) that an operator problem and expected.

[*] It could be a front transaxle mount or perhaps a missing bushing in the nose cone, but those are not as common. Any bad transaxle mounts tend to present as clutch shudder on release. The missing shift rod bushing is quite rare, that would be the 2nd I've seen in 30 years. It should leak gear oil pretty bad into the frame tunnel if that bushing is missing as these old transaxles didn't have a seal there. SO... my big question is do you have the transaxle full of gear oil? Low oil presents as all sorts of problems and/or noises. It is also a good way to destroy the box the rest of the way too!
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

In watching the video that first bushing is definitely missing and it's probably the pieces he found in the bottom of the tunnel. If the front one could be replaced with the trans in place that's great but the split case has two nose cone bushings- if the front was that bad the rear probably isn't much better. My point is shifting problems can be an accumulation of wear in several different places- nose cone bushings, coupler, trans mounts, shifter adjustments, clutch. If a clutch adjustment alone takes care of it, great, but there was a LOT of play in the hockey stick in the video.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your feedback! You've given me some great direction here. I went ahead and ordered new bushings, so we'll see how that goes. I'll try to install it/them with the transmission in place, first. Parts should be here Friday. Until then, I'll go ahead and remove the coupler and do some inspection there.
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Getting that front bushing replaced should help a lot. If you can get it done in the car even better. Let us know how it goes- with pictures! Very Happy
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I inspected the shift lever/hockey stick for wear at the shift coupler connection and it seems to be okay (see pic). Same with the shift rod.

I also installed a new nose cone bushing as best I could with the transmission in place. I think it's good, but without seeing it in another bug, I can't be sure. It does stick out a little, but there is no longer any up and down movement in the shift lever, which is great. Anyone know if this looks correct?

[EDIT: After finding a video on YouTube of a guy installing new bushings in a nose cone, it seems I need to get the bushing to sit flush with the nose cone, so I'll need to work at it some more. To be continued...]

I still need to secure the bolts on the shift coupler with safety wire and replace the transmission oil before I can see if the shifting issues are resolved, but just wanted to give a quick update.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Got it!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
Got it!

Great! Bet it feels a lot less loose now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: