Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Ghia original interior?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

I just purchased a 57 Ghia coupe and was wondering if any of the experts can help me determine if the seat upholstery, door panels and head liner are original from the factory. The door panel and back seat fabric has faded and is actually silver. The headliner is light gray which is perforated vinyl. The seat upholstery is sewn on with no hog rings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Karmann Ghia convertible
1965 Karmann Ghia convertible
1973 Karmann Ghia convertible Sport Edition
1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Looks custom.
56-57 Ghias had corduroy and vinyl interiors. Cord pleats were horizontal. Seats had cord inserts sewn with pleats.
1956 had stretched wool headliner not sure about 57.
Carpet looks like a mix between original and non original, for example there should be rubber mats all around the front seating area including on the tunnel and rockers as well as bulkhead.
The winder and door handle estuchions look like they are off an American car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Pre August '57 had thinback seats.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Looks custom.
56-57 Ghias had corduroy and vinyl interiors. Cord pleats were horizontal. Seats had cord inserts sewn with pleats.
1956 had stretched wool headliner not sure about 57.
Carpet looks like a mix between original and non original, for example there should be rubber mats all around the front seating area including on the tunnel and rockers as well as bulkhead.
The winder and door handle estuchions look like they are off an American car.

Thanks a lot for that information! That’s good to know this. Now I don’t have live with an old original interior and can replace it with a quality reproduction. Any idea on who makes them?
The exterior paint is mostly original paint in great condition
however there are 2 places where it has been partially resprayed. Of course given the age of the car there are several dings and many small paint chips from road debris. Is it better to save the original paint or just completely respray the entire car?

1974 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Beautiful car. Just stating my opinion, I would not repainted the whole car. If it is indeed the original paint, it's priceless, especially for a Ghia this old. I have a 68 original Ghia with mostly original paint and yes it has some minor patina but they are original only once. Value wise, it's worth more in my opinion.

As to your interior, The Aussie Trimmer is the best guy for your car. If you do a search, you'll find lots of info on him.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

I never liked a mix and match approach. If the interior were original and decent then I’d keep the paint. But since you will need a new interior I’d got with a new paint job.
Second on the Aussie trimmer. You want someone who knows what they are doing. The materials will be super expensive. I spent $5k on my interior.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Second on the Aussie trimmer. You want someone who knows what they are doing. The materials will be super expensive. I spent $5k on my interior.

Yep I have one of his interiors. If you want perfect, it ain’t cheap but you won’t regret buying quality every time you sit in the car
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Yep I have one of his interiors. If you want perfect, it ain’t cheap but you won’t regret buying quality every time you sit in the car
Nicholas

x10000000000.....Aussie trimmer is the best! So what about the cost, if you can afford the BEST!
JAL78 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ghia original interior? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I never liked a mix and match approach. If the interior were original and decent then I’d keep the paint. But since you will need a new interior I’d got with a new paint job.

I think that you are correct that’s it’s probably better to not mix and match. It would seem strange to have a brand new top quality interior and a patina exterior. Perhaps I will have the original paint painted over with washable water color so that it’s reversible. As Marc said it’s only original once!
1974 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: