Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 Engine Rebuild Advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: 2.1 Engine Rebuild Advice Reply with quote

I am getting ready to build a new engine for my 84 westy. I have a 2.1 short block core (not going to rebuild my 1.9). Choices are:

1. If pistons / cylinders are in spec, use the ones with the engine and keep it stock 2.1

2. Obtain some DJ pistons from Germany (10.5:1 compression). I have read quite a few threads on TheSamba but have not come to a conclusion as to whether I would have an issue with 91 octane fuel or not and California gas. Does anyone have experience in this space?

3. Get some balanced 2.2 pistons from RJE and use those as the base of the build. My initial thought is that I would only go this route if the stock 2.1 pistons/cyl are not serviceable.

Additionally, my local shop is encouraging me to build the motor using the 1.9 cam as that will run better with the existing dijiget fuel injection system. The advice was that a 2.1 cam or some of the other aftermarket cams that people have been using do not run well with digijet. Any thoughts on this?

I have some new AMC heads that I am going to have RJE install some TRW valves in and I am going to have him rebuild the 2.1 rods as well.
I will post pics and any other comments on the build once I get it started and after I complete an engine swap that I am working on.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Engine Rebuild Advice Reply with quote

Just bolted in a 2.1 long block with DJ pistons. Still assembling, no experience with it running, yet.

Did you see this in your search?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229736

D Clymer and tencentlife express some informed opinions.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 Engine Rebuild Advice Reply with quote

Thank you Dan. I did read that thread. There is someone else here in the bay area that is running a 2.4l with 10.5:1 and seemed to be having no issues.

I am interested to hear how your build turns out. What cam did you end up putting in the engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: