Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first post and I am already asking for help.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 1972 Westfalia.
Back in 2000 according to the paperwork the engine was changed from 1600 to type 4 1700.
This has had the original awful Solex carbs replaced with a pair of lot simpler Solex 34mm carb kit.
This has also had a 009 distributor allowing it to run without the vacuum advance.
It starts good from cold but when warm you have to give it some gas to fire up.
Also it stutters when pulling away and the smell of fuel outside is quiet strong (no leaks).
I have had the plugs removed and they are all black.
I believe this is a sign that it is overfuelling.
I am thinking checking the ignition timing and balance the carbs would be a good place to start?
I'm trying to find a base setting for these carbs and what jets should be fitted for a 1700?

Thanks
SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

Wrong carburettors, wrong distributor.

The carburettors you now have are wrong.

The original carburettors working properly and set up with their original SVDA for a bus would get rid of 99 % of your issues.

Unfortunately you have been fed prime BS.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

start by making sure the chokes are opening properly. Let's start there. If they fail to fully open then the mixture will be terribly rich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

What is your fuel pressure? Too much fuel pressure can cause severe overfueling.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

These are the same as Heritage Parts Cantre supply for this engine:-

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ac1293286-s...ype-4.html

But the owner has fitted an electric fuel pump as you can hear this tick on switching the ignition on.

Wildthings This maybe causing the overfueling issue?

Thanks
SC
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

check to make sure the chokes are opening. If you don't start there you are really wasting your time asking for help. The choke power wires may have come off or broken in which case the chokes will stay closed. That will cause the engine to run right when cold and awful when warm. If the chokes are opening then the engine is jetted too rich.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check to make sure the chokes are opening. If you don't start there you are really wasting your time asking for help. The choke power wires may have come off or broken in which case the chokes will stay closed. That will cause the engine to run right when cold and awful when warm. If the chokes are opening then the engine is jetted too rich.

The chokes working was the very first check I did.
Started on VWs at the age of 12 and I'm 57 now.
First time working on a bay window in over 25 years, but our last bay had this engine except it was automatic.

SC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

heyskull wrote:

Thanks
SC

Too much fuel pressure will overcome the floats in the carbs allowing the fuel level to be too high especially at idle.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
heyskull wrote:

Thanks
SC

Too much fuel pressure will overcome the floats in the carbs allowing the fuel level to be too high especially at idle.

if the chokes work than one of five exist

1) fuel pressure too high;
2) floats set too high or they are worn out/ leaking, or sinking
3) Jetted way too rich.
4) really dirty air filter
5) on some occasions the ignition condenser can fail and cause all sorts of spark problems that mirrors a rich fuel problem because the spark is weak and intermittent. Sometimes a condenser can work fine at one temperature and not at others.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first post and I am already asking for help. Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Wrong carburettors, wrong distributor.

The carburettors you now have are wrong.

Wow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: