Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric conversions-- on the way?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Before you all go screaming about the damn liberals and the EV......

Top three States with highest EV registrations are......
In order.....

California
Florida
Texas

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Quote:
think some of you don't have the slightest understanding of how the law works in the US. You think if you sit around and dream it up, it is suddenly law.

Funny. Exactly what the Supreme Court just did against the wishes of 70% of the population.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

I DGAF if you want to buy a Tesla and put up with the limitations. Do the rich left even like Teslas anymore?

Besides all you did was show us a map of where the rich people live. Is isnt surprising. I should say the warm climate rich people who dont have to deal with batteries not working well in cold weather.

The vast majority of the country will stomp your marxist dreams and mandates. I find it absolutely hilarious that people think there is the slightest chance of any of this passing Congress, or otherwise think that you can just declare it and make it so. I know they dont teach civics anymore.

BTW, Im not opposed necessarily. Id LOVE skateboards that could repower cars easily. Id love running the drive wheels on electric motors and tossing transmissions in the junk pile of history. A small diesel electric generator attached to motor once a smaller battery pack (like 25-50 miles big enough to handle most drives) would be great. Biodiesel even better.

Or a functional power network to run it and charge cars. California alone needs a dozen new nukes at least to even change their EV usage by a few percentages. And needs tens of millions of miles of wires and chargers.

Battery tech just isnt there or on the horizon. 1000-2000 pounds battery packs you throw away every 5-7 years are absurd. The green movement will.someday look this error in the same way they now look at greenies forcing us to switch from paper to plastic... to save the environment.

China is licking their lips at all this nutso talk. So is Saudi Arabia because plastics are made from oil and China needs oil and coal to send millions of dumptrucks and bulldozers to mine these hundreds of millions of pounds of rare earth metals.

When the tech is better I might change MY mind but even the military or nasa cant afford it right now. We will see it there first.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

my end prediction:

there will be a 70/30 split on ICE vs electric propulsion. 30% of people could live with an EV 70% couldn't

gas/diesel will still be available for another 200 years I suspect...even in synthetic form.

you can run a car on hooch, about 180/200 proof if i recall.

you can't just flip a switch and make it all go away. think of all the all the appliances, trucks, cars, planes, trains, tractors, mowers, combines, tillers...you get it... that aren't at the end of their life getting scrapped. it just won't happen in the timeframe they think.

it wasn't until the 70's almost every home had electricity. those were in the days of less bureaucratic red tape and people that actually worked. look how long it takes to get a pothole repaired.

it's a proven fact wind/solar unicorn farts can't power the world. if they were serious about any of this bullshit we'd be on a tier 10 nuclear reactor by now. China's 3 gorges dam doesn't even make enough power for them

EV will for sure make sense in heavily populated areas, no doubt. every last consumer product is a derivative of oil and or it's byproducts... e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.. asphalt, phones, packaging, ink...the list is endless

the 2 technologies are going to coexist for a long, long time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Funny. Exactly what the Supreme Court just did against the wishes of 70% of the population.

You mean the part of the population that cant read? Its not hard to read the Constitution and say....hmmmm... I didnt see anything about abortion in there. And it isnt the 70% or they would be electing people who agree with them. The 70% would have filled state legislatures with like minded people. Im one of those opposed to complete bans on abortion, not that it matters, Im sure.

What does matter is EV Faith Practicioners clearly dont understand the process of making laws in this country.

Wake me up when you have 60% of the Senate supporting an EV mandate and ban on ICE.

Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am; edited 7 times in total
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
my end prediction:

EVs will for sure make sense in heavily populated areas, no doubt. every last consumer product is a derivative of oil and or it's byproducts... e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.. asphalt, phones, packaging, ink...the list is endless

That right there ^^^^^

Asphalt alone cannot be ignored and EVs will be driving on it for a very long time! (Critters love the vegetable based plastic ... checked your wiring lately?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

(Critters love the vegetable based plastic ... checked your wiring lately?)

totally different subject but that soy based wiring is straight up dangerous and has caused many fires. even in the best of circumstances it degrades with age and crumbles if you look at it wrong

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Clownshow. Go worship Al Gore and his insane rantings.

I haven't voted for a Republicrat or a Democan for about 30 years. Two sides of the same "growth can continue forever" coin.

Quote:
I think some of you don't have the slightest understanding of how the law works in the US.

Laws may soon be irrelevant. Except the laws of nature… the one's we're ignoring. They're quite relevant!

Quote:
It is also funny that it's the people who know the least about electricity and electronics who think this is the way.

I'm an EE, if that matters! First ham license when I was thirteen. Worked in Tektronix Computer Research Labs. We were unsoldering the lids of dynamic RAM chips and focusing images on them years before the first digicams were available! So I know a few things about electricity and electronics.

But that's neither here nor there. I don't claim to have a perfect crystal ball; I've just read an awful lot, and I just don't understand why more people (cons AND libs) don't see what's coming at us.
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

my end prediction:

gas/diesel will still be available for another 200 years I suspect...

you can run a car on hooch, about 180/200 proof if i recall.

you can't just flip a switch and make it all go away. think of all the all the appliances, trucks, cars, planes, trains, tractors, mowers, combines, tillers...you get it... that aren't at the end of their life getting scrapped. it just won't happen in the timeframe they think.

You're confusing demand with supply… the ultimate misinterpretation of Adam Smith.

Alcohol is a net energy loser. (Tad Patzek, Dave Pimintal, Vacslav Smil, et. al.) You consume more joules of petroleum in making ethanol than you get out of that ethanol! What could go wrong with that? Commercial ethanol production is simply a misguided agricultural subsidy.

Quote:

Hope you're right; fear you're wrong; hedge that bet!

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" is giving us the finger.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Jan Steinman wrote:

But that's neither here nor there. I don't claim to have a perfect crystal ball; I've just read an awful lot, and I just don't understand why more people (cons AND libs) don't see what's coming at us.

That’s easy, we’ve had very powerful and influential leadership that convinced many that the 1950’s were wonderful and we should go back to that time period.
That education is bad and makes liberals out of those who attend institutions of higher learning.
That science is not to believed or trusted.
And if you hear differently well…… ignore that because it is fake news!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Jan Steinman wrote:

Quote:

Hope you're right; fear you're wrong; hedge that bet!

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" is giving us the finger.

sorry, it's foolish to think that what they are pushing is going to happen in their timeframe.

the current puppet in office is about to allow offshore drilling again

the US highway system was supposed to be built in 12 years, took 35:

"The initial cost estimate for the system was $25 billion over 12 years; it ended up costing $114 billion (equivalent to $425 billion in 2006 or $535 billion in 2020) and took 35 years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_S...5%20years.

and that was in the days before all the red tape. nuclear power plants take on average 10 years to build, another couple 3 years to come online. natural gas/coal about 5-7. no way is it going to happen with wind or solar, not on the level needed for a 100% changeover

I can't get a wheel bearing for a 2019... and you think this whole deal is going to be done by 2025/2030?

like i said, both technologies are going to run side by side for a long, long time.

and I can make hooch with a campfire. all the free energy i can load into a wheelbarrow, but i get what you're saying

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Quote:
there will be a 70/30 split on ICE vs electric propulsion. 30% of people could live with an EV 70% couldn't

I’ll go the other way, 70 EV/ 30 ICe and hybrid for sales by 2030

Your comment on energy coexistence is prescient, insightful , and correct.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Plant more trees and buy diesel. Get the most out of the dinos.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

I'm surprised how political this discussion has become.

My grandfather died at the wheel of an electric car--youthful heart attack--he drove up onto a neighbors lawn into the rose bushes. At the time--pre WWI, aircraft were in a rudimentary development stage with only short flights possible. He couldn't have imagined a flight across the pond in under 3 hours in a Concorde, much less imagined the Concorde itself.

His daughter--Mom--was born in 1904. She saw horse drawn transportation as dominant and then moving to 70 MPH Interstate highway driving. She saw the telephone, development of recorded sound, radio, universal distribution of electrical power to all parts of the US, television, the Concorde, computers and a man landing on the Moon, What will we see? We can't imagine it any more than my grandfather and the Concorde.

I just sold my cruising sailboat with an IC mariner engine--one of the very few designed and built strictly for marine use--most are converted industrial or transportation engines. Remember, unlike an automobile, a marine engine is requiring serious torque all the time: as an automobile climbing an endless hill with no coasting, nor flats. The new owner is a young EE who was involved with the development of capacitor battery storage, where surface area is king. His work involved pyrolyzing a a coconut husk fibre. The result was a pure carbon fiber the diameter of a human hair. But it winds up being a tube creating a large surface are for it size. Far more than a flat sheet. AND the tube wall has close packed holes as well--tubes within a tube. This is all very exciting Wright Bros. work. What will the equivalent Concorde of this turn out to be? We can't imagine.

He is converting to E power with a 48 nautical mile range using today's latest technology which he says will be outdated by the time he undertakes her maiden voyage.

100 years from now?

Power from wind/solar/water/fusion/geothermal/? running autonomous trains hauling autonomous E trucks (charged from the train) taking goods to individual locations?

Maybe transponders on Model As and T3s connected directly to the DMV limiting annual mileage of 200 miles at which point the engine will no longer start. Want a Model A or a T3 for touring? No problem--E conversion kits and installers will be available. Expensive? Well, buy an untouched Westy and by the time you have repowered with a specialized tranny and Porsche CV joints and all that other stuff for decent reliable performance--new wiring harness, ECUs, etc., you would have been able to put in an E motor with a single moving part.

We can't imagine, but it will happen at some level.

Duncan
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I'm surprised how political this discussion has become.

Yea, me too.
Quote:
100 years from now?

Power from wind/solar/water/fusion/geothermal/? running autonomous trains hauling autonomous E trucks (charged from the train) taking goods to individual locations?…

We can't imagine, but it will happen at some level.

Or, it won't. As Buckminster Fuller pointed out, we are on a race between sustainability and disaster.

At this time, it's looking like disaster is winning. "The market" is not doing what conservatives say it should do, and "the government" is not doing what liberals say it should do.

Do check out the Bucky link, where Stuart McMillan explains our dilemma. It's like a graphic novel, easily approachable.

And before anyone starts screaming "libtard snowflake," McMillan is Australian, so I'm pretty sure he is neither Republicrat or Demacan.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I'm surprised how political this discussion has become

how are you surprised? I mean this is all driven by policy or lack thereof

if they were serious about this, it would have started decades ago on a broader scale other than an occasional ban on this paint or that paint, upping emissions standards etc.

case in point... Lake Mead/Powell etc running dry. everyone wants to blame the climate, yet they keep expanding and building.

If any of you decide to study the matter, Hoover dam was designed to sustain a set amount of people, as were many waterways trying to make the desert sustainable.

But, what has happened is the keep adding and adding to the workload with zero consideration of upping the production.

The UAE has made a TON of rain by cloud seeding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding_in_the...tmosphere.

This is a process that has been proven to work and still undergoing different methods. They have been fooling with this for a long, long time and got real serious in about '09-'10

So the question is, why hasn't the west coast done the same? Same deal with forest maintenance.

CA wastes so much water, and has for so long it's it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Bottom line is, look at the bigger picture. All of this went on and on and is now an "emergency"

Until insurance companies/mortgage companies stop writing contracts for oceanfront property I personally find this a really hard pill to swallow.

I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
i do believe we have an impact on the environment, no doubt but just not at the rate they claim

we have a beach house in RI that the family built on 'junk land' no one wanted in 1920. there is a water level pole drilled into bedrock and unless we have a hurricane... the level has not gone up any. zero. in fact there is a journal started by great grandma (born in 1919) she started when she was 10, so 1929 recording the level indicated by that pole. every year the family makes the observation and writes it down

it hasn't moved

and as an aside, I have yet to find any published data of what "they" want the numbers for (insert pollutant) to be. The climate isn't static, it's dynamic and changing all the time. So, it's kind of hard to hit a moving target

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

I’ll go the other way, 70 EV/ 30 ICe and hybrid for sales by 2030

For coastal people, maybe.

For everyone else, 90 ICE/Hybrid 10/EV.

And rolling blackouts for the coastal people, especially the left coast.

case in point... Lake Mead/Powell etc running dry. everyone wants to blame the climate, yet they keep expanding and building.

And... planting grass yards, in the desert, and watering them every single day.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Jan Steinman wrote:
we are on a race between sustainability and disaster.

Let me help you out here, child. I've been through this before. I was even "Mr. Science" at my middle school "science camp" in the 70s when they told us the world was ending in a decade. Even had a fancy computer for the brainwashing. It was mostly wood, LEDs and dials. If I turned up "electric cars", "solar power", and turned down oil and coal, I got to live a decade or so before the world ended. Otherwise "science" said I was dying in half that time. I was sure we'd never make it to 1984. Ironic because it seems like we are getting closer and closer to 1984.

In the 70s it was "The Coming New Ice Age" and we were all dying in a decade

Then it was "Peak Oil" which meant we were all going to die ala Mad Max in a decade at the latest.

Then it was "Acid Rain" and if we didn't stop fossil fuels were going to die in a decade (this one was graffic because we were going to melt after the trees died)

Then it was deforestation of the rain forest which was going to cause us all to die of cancer because... the cure for cancer was in the rain forest we were told,

Then it was the "Hole in the Ozone" which if we didn't stop fossil fuels and all refrigeration/AC we were going to die in a decade

Then there was whatever Al Gore was peddling, all going to die if we didn't buy carbon credits from him. Specifically it was we were dying in a decade and the clock already started in 1998.

Then it was Global Cooling because well we weren't global warming like Al Gore said. So now it is Climate Change and we are going to die like the Day After Tomorrow in a giant ice planet.

Put down the Evironmental Apocalypse porn and live your life. Moving all of our energy to Russian and China (still opening a coal power plant a week to build batteries and solar panels) isn't saving the world no matter what your religion says.

Vanagon and busses will be around a long time and they won't have batteries (unless there is a giant change in battery tech, which Im all for).

Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

The world's problem is there is simply too many people on this planet.
Electric car or not, climate change, food shortages, and pending wars are going to curb the population.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

^^^^^ (NemoBusCaptain)

10-4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: