Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

I realize that there are so many questions about cooling, but after searching I couldn't find the answer to this one.

I have an 85 Camper with 1.9 WBX. The mechanic just replaced the water pump as it was shot. After doing so... I have become obsessed with starting at the temp gauge.

On the way home from the mechanic, I was on the interstate and ran into traffic. After a couple of minutes of moving slowly, the temp gauge shot up to 7/8 and the red light started blinking. Panicking that my engine was going to make a small crater in the asphalt, I pulled over and called the mechanic I just left. He said that the high reading was probably due to a "bubble" as they had done a through job testing after replacing the pump and flushing the coolant twice.

I drove another 45 minutes home and arrived without leaving said crater...

Getting home, I grab my infrared thermometer and try to understand the coolant system a little better.
https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/cooling-system-in-vanagons-explained

Quote:
The temperature of the coolant continues to rise as long as there is no movement of air past the radiator, like when you are stopped in traffic. When the coolant temperature in the radiator gets up to 85°C (185°F), a thermostat switch on the radiator tells the electric fan on the radiator to come on.

The indication on the temperature gauge (the needle) while this is happening should be about 2/3-3/4. This is normal. If the temperature gets up to 95°C (203°F), the fan comes on at a higher speed (loud!). This all happens at a temperature gauge reading of about 7/8. This is also normal, but start paying close attention. If the high-speed fan is not enough to control the temperature, the gauge will continue to climb and at about 15/16, the red light will start to flash. This is NOT NORMAL. That means slow down or even pull over.

So I get slightly different. I ran the engine, then stopped and kept it idling on a hot day. I checked the temp on various cooling hoses and at about 185°F the fan came on - excellent. It seemed to cycle on and off as the fan cooled the radiator.

But when this happens, my temp gauge is more towards 15/16 AND is flashing.

I was not feeling brave enough to see if I could get it over 203°F.

So, to what extent can I trust the temp gauge, and what indicates disaster is about to occur?

PS
Is that damn expansion tank with the blue cap supposed to be full or 3/4? I've seen posts and guides saying both....
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

The main coolant tank should be full at all times.
If the coolant level in it is low enough to trigger the warning then that may be what you are seeing.
The early version of the coolant warning "relay" sends the gauge needle to "hot" and makes the gauge led flash whenever it thinks coolant is low.
Your van may have this early version.
If so it should be replaced with the later "relay" version so the warning led can come on when coolant is low but the temp needle will still perform the temp reading function..

Mark

vtwestie wrote:
But when this happens, my temp gauge is more towards 15/16 AND is flashing.

I was not feeling brave enough to see if I could get it over 203°F.

So, to what extent can I trust the temp gauge, and what indicates disaster is about to occur?

PS
Is that damn expansion tank with the blue cap supposed to be full or 3/4? I've seen posts and guides saying both....
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The main coolant tank should be full at all times.

I see.... Can't seem to get it to be full.. even while running the engine, or at rest with the engine off. No signs of leaks that I can find either.... I top off when cool, and then after running it drops again.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The early version of the coolant warning "relay" sends the gauge needle to "hot" and makes the gauge led flash whenever it thinks coolant is low.

That would make sense. Which part do I need to place?

[/quote]
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

My 84 is like yours (needle pegs when pressure tank is low) and I like it that way... the intent is to get your attention and you have to agree it did that.

You can get more in the tank by revving the engine and holding it at high RPMs while you open the tank and add coolant.

DO NOT let the revs drop until you have the cap securely back on the tank (or it will puke coolant out big time).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As noted, you want that tank totally full at all times and under all cicumstances.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

@ forum members.

In a properly functioning WBX cooling system, wouldn't adding coolant to the overflow tank at license plate door eventually fill up the main coolant tank?

Neil.

vtwestie wrote:
... Can't seem to get it to be full.. even while running the engine, or at rest with the engine off. No signs of leaks that I can find either.... I top off when cool, and then after running it drops again.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
You can get more in the tank by revving the engine and holding it at high RPMs while you open the tank and add coolant.

Can't I just add when cold? I can fill the tank then (though it seems to mysteriously go back to 3/4 full.....
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
@ forum members.

In a properly functioning WBX cooling system, wouldn't adding coolant to the overflow tank at license plate door eventually fill up the main coolant tank?

That's what I thought 🤔
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

Yes, repeatedly top it up when cold and it should eventually get all the air out of the system. I just prefer to do it once and be done with it.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

https://vancafe.com/coolant-level-relay-warning/
I believe this is the later Cooling System warning relay.
I differ from AhWahnee in that I hated the early slammed temp gauge with combined low coolant level LED as a normal operational mode for Low Coolant, so I installed the later version warning relay as Crazyvwvanman posted about.
Either relay version will be at your upper Fusebox relay socket row.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vtwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

Holy Schnikey - this is a find!

http://www.cabby-info.com/gauges.htm
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

vtwestie wrote:

Now you can look high and low trying to find the author to thank her.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Cooling Question Part IV, Son of... Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
vtwestie wrote:

Now you can look high and low trying to find the author to thank her.

You kidding, right.... Doesn't everyone on here know that awesome fun author?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: