Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine not starting- no spark
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Alright guys, trying to get my 1972 Super started. I had some trouble with the wiring which should be all set now. Ordered a new coil just in case and that did not solve the issue. The engine was rebuilt and I recorded it myself running on the stand. It sat in a garage for the last 2 years and I just got it in the car. Cranks over great, fuel in the carb, no start. Pulled plug out and no spark. Coil is new and checks out with multimeter. I also took the ignitor module out and did a volt test with the magnet and it does fluctuate in volts when the magnet spins. I could be wrong but I believe all of that is working correctly.

Anything else to look into or do before I go crazy? I feel like I am just missing something very simple. Been searching the internet for days and just can't figure it out.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Can’t go wrong with points and condenser. Also, rare but I’ve seen it personally where the ignition switch would interrupt power to the coil while cranking. In the on position, the coil had power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Isn't there already a thread on this subject here?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771233&highlight=

You should be posting updates in it.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Isn't there already a thread on this subject here?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771233&highlight=

You should be posting updates in it.

I somewhat thought that because that my original post was about getting the wiring correct that this would be better to post a new thread talking about engine only. I can post the updates in and that and have an admin delete this one if you wish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

I'm not admin, or a mod here. It's up to them on weather this qualifies as a new topic. Or a continuation of the same issue that you are having with your "No Start" situation.

That said. Your ignition module is very suspect as the non-functioning component.

Try a new (known good) distributor. Or change out the module for points and a condenser to prove/disprove that the module is non-functioning.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Make sure you have the coil wired correctly, all 12 volt items go to #15 on coil only the wire to the dist. gets hooked to #1 on the coil then to eliminate the ign. switch from being bad run a jumper from the battery + to #15 on the coil then try to start it with the key.
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Make sure you have the coil wired correctly, all 12 volt items go to #15 on coil only the wire to the dist. gets hooked to #1 on the coil then to eliminate the ign. switch from being bad run a jumper from the battery + to #15 on the coil then try to start it with the key.

That wiring is correct. When I run that jumper from the battery to the positive side of the coil, what should I be seeing? Im thinking that if it sparks with that jumper wire applied then the ignition switch is bad? Because it will be getting constant 12v and bypassing the ignition?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Or just use a meter and have someone else crank the engine over. If the power is not interrupted, I’d look into point/condenser setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Or just use a meter and have someone else crank the engine over. If the power is not interrupted, I’d look into point/condenser setup.

Thank you. Running the jumper did not do anything. Bench tested the coil with a spark plug from a video I found online and I got spark through it. Even though I took the ignitor out and I did measure the volts with it, I am guessing there is something wrong with it. Will be ordering a new one to eliminate that issue
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

I followed this procedure to test the ignitor: http://www.ttalk.info/Tech/PerNegGndTest.htm

And when spinning the magnetic I fluctuate between 11.45 and 4.25 volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

For $20.10, You could have a set of points and a condenser, from NAPA tomorrow.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

If you dont get spark with the jumper then the problem is in the dist. maybe a bad cap, bad rotor, or bad center coil wire to dist.. if you are brave hold the coil wire that goes to the cap and have a helper crank the motor Idea if you feel a tingle then your plug wires are wrong.
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If you dont get spark with the jumper then the problem is in the dist. maybe a bad cap, bad rotor, or bad center coil wire to dist.. if you are brave hold the coil wire that goes to the cap and have a helper crank the motor Idea if you feel a tingle then your plug wires are wrong.

I feel like an idiot because I know this is just something stupid I am not understanding. Probably because I'm a millennial that doesn't work on VWs with these funny things call distributors, but I have the original coil and a new coil. Both of them have bench tested fine. I watched YouTube videos showing all sorts of ways to hook up a spark plug with the coil and ground them out to show it Sparks. That all works. Tried the same test with a spark plug wire and the center coil wire. Both passed the test.

Put the coil in. Negative and positive hooked up correctly from the ignitor. Positive black wire coming in from the wire harness hooked to positive side of coil. Jumper cables to the fuel solenoid and choke. And once it's hooked up I can't get any spark from the center coil.

I've tried grounded out a spark plug with the center coil, no spark. Running a jumper wire from a ground to near the coil wire. No spark. Nothing. I'm not even trying to go through the distributor at this point. I can't even get any spark to come out of the coil.

Maybe I should grab the center coil and have someone crank it over. At this point I'm willing to bet I won't feel anything.
Massey363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I'm not even getting power through the center coil wire to the distributor at this point even after beach. Testing two coils. So as of right now that's not my issue
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Another "no points" dissatisfied customer.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Massey363 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

I'm not even getting power through the center coil wire to the distributor at this point even after beach. Testing two coils. So as of right now that's not my issue

VW designed everything to work as a system.
Yes, in some cases you can bench test them. But it is intended to work as a system.

For the 8th time, as suggested in both of your threads.
Get a set of points and a condenser and prove that your module is/not the issue.

Fight this idea, all you want. But in the end of this saga. You'll end up testing with points and a condenser.

Many of here have been at this hobby for a very long time, 52 years for me.
We have seen many things come and go that worked and didn't.

Electric point replacements are hit and miss. Even with the beloved Petronics bits. I ran them, until the module failed. Then I went back to points and a condenser.

Many folks carry a spare, ready to install distributor, with points and a condenser. When they are running an electronic points replacement.

Get the idea above?

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Massey363 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Maybe because you need something to FIRE the coil. Like points or a working petronix. Since you petronix isn't firing the coil, maybe try points and a condenser.

I'm sure you can find a better way, with less work, to fix it though. Millennial power n all.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Massey363 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Maybe because you need something to FIRE the coil. Like points or a working petronix. Since you petronix isn't firing the coil, maybe try points and a condenser.

I'm sure you can find a better way, with less work, to fix it though. Millennial power n all.

X9, Nuf said!

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Try this....
    Disconnect the black 12v+ wire from the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal.
    Place a VM at the end of the wire to measure the voltage coming from the ignition switch.
    Turn the ignition to ON/RUN (engine not running). Note the voltage. You should see at least 12.0v at the end of the wire with nothing else connected. 12.5v would be ideal.
    While you have someone crank the engine, take another voltage reading at the end of the disconnected black wire. If the voltage drops below 11.0v it has dropped too low and is likely not enough to power your electronic points. The voltage drop indicates a weak battery or high resistance (dirty connections) between the battery and the ignition coil resulting is less current reaching the coil when the starter is drawing most of the current from the battery.

Another way to test this is to push start the car. Since the starter is not needed to push start it doesn't draw current and the ignition maintains the full voltage you read when testing w/o the starter and everything works as expected. If push starting works it indicates a voltage drop while cranking. Have the battery charged and tested at your FLAPS. If the battery is good you know the issue is with not enough current making it to the coil because of high resistance somewhere in the ignition circuit path. Likely the ignition switch or the wires. Clean connections and see if you can increase the voltage reading to the coil while cranking.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine not starting- no spark Reply with quote

Massey363 wrote:
I followed this procedure to test the ignitor: http://www.ttalk.info/Tech/PerNegGndTest.htm

And when spinning the magnetic I fluctuate between 11.45 and 4.25 volts

This doesn't sound correct. The voltage should drop to zero (simulate points open). This collapses the field that builds in the ignition coil when current flows thru the module. If the voltage doesn't go to zero the field strength changes but never collapses and a voltage spike does not build in the secondary winding (no spark).

Check the gap between the rotating magnetic disc and the module in the distributor body. Try to adjust so the gap is as small as possible but not contacting each other.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: