Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

I will soon be replacing my front seats.
My last road trip was a little bit tough on my old bones, and I want more comfortable seats.

I have acquired a pair of bottom seat frames ('71 Beetle) that fit my original floor rails. I intend to fabricate mounts for my aftermarket seats, and weld them to the bottom seat frames (that way, I can use my original sliders without making any new holes).

In stock form, Thing seats are angled slightly inward, and I am interested in opinions about whether my new seats should be angled inward (like stock) or whether I should mount them pointing straight ahead.
I am leaning toward mounting the new seats angled like the stock seats, but I would like to hear from those who have already done this.

What do you guys think?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

The driver's seat is angled to point your feet into the deep part of the footwell. Because the 181 pan narrows so extremely in the front part I'd be concerned about pointing the seat straight forward - your feet-to-pedals orientation might not work well. Mocking things up will tell you more about what exactly you need to do.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

I would hate to ride the distances you did on my seats. I guess if you put them straight on your seat frames they'll come out the right angle on your angled seat tracks. I think that's what I would do. What seats are you going to use?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I would hate to ride the distances you did on my seats. I guess if you put them straight on your seat frames they'll come out the right angle on your angled seat tracks. I think that's what I would do. What seats are you going to use?

Kevin-
Driving long distances in the stock seats wasn't so bad 30-40 years ago.

I think I will mount the new seats squarely on the seat bottom frames (as you suggest). Just need to get the height right.

I ordered a pair of Scheel-Mann Vario-F seats, along with matching fabric to re-upholster my rear seat cushions. I should have that stuff next week.
Somewhat embarrassing, but as soon as I sat in those seats, there just was no turning back.

Hope to see you guys next year in Appomattox!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

New seats are in!
Now, I am riding in style and comfort.

I modified two '71 beetle seat frames to mount my aftermarket seats while retaining the original adjustment rails on the floor (so no new holes).

Here's a rough sketch of the modified frames:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Basically a couple pieces of angle iron welded to the top rails of the VW frames. The angle iron is also supported by 2 short steel tubes on each side.

When I ordered the seats, I also ordered some matching fabric, so the back seats were also re-upholstered to match the fronts.

YIPPEE!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Here's a rough sketch of the modified frames:

What do your finished drawings look like?? (great sketch)

Love the plan to repurpose and adapt original parts.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

Cool! I might be a bit jealous, would love to see a picture. Curious, what are you using for seatbelts?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

The Detroit weather will be rainy for a day or so. When it clears up, I will post a photo.

My seat belts are originals, anchored to the floor. Most aftermarket seats have a provision for mounting belts to the seat, but I believe the original floor mounted belts are best; considering the original Thing seat mounts are not really up to modern standards.

I kept the original front seats, but the back seat upholstery was lost in the pattern making process. New foam in the back seats makes a nice improvement over the ~50 year old stuff.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

I am so jealous.

I cannot wait to see the photos. If you have the seat bracket photos that would be great to post as well.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

74-
I don’t have any photos of the modified seat brackets alone, so the rough sketch will have to suffice.
In reality, even though my ’71 Beetle seat frames are supposed to be “identical” (and I know that they both came from the same car), there are slight variations dimensionally between the two frames, so the modification to adapt them to aftermarket seats is sort of a one-off deal.
My new seats have two rows of M8 threaded inserts 16” apart, so there was some “ hand fitting” involved to locate the holes through the angle iron supports to make it work.

It stopped raining here for a few minutes, so here's a quick photo:

These seats are made in Stuttgart, Germany. The only US importer, Scheel-Mann USA, is in Portland, OR.
I found a dealer local (to me), so I avoided shipping charges. The Portland distributor only stocks seats with the most popular options, so that’s what I’ve got; heated seat bottoms and backrests, and a small “cargo net” behind the backrests.
I never would have considered heated seats for a Thing, but now that I have them, I will certainly switch them on for those cool morning top-down drives.

Wiring the seat heaters could not have been simpler. The included wire harnesses are high quality, and the only connection to the car’s electrical system is for power from the ignition circuit (Terminal 15) and chassis ground.
The 1971 Beetle seat frames that I bought came with stamped steel “side covers” for the outboard portion of the lower seat frames. They made for a perfect place to mount the seat heater switches.

So, for now, me and my butt are pretty happy.

Edit:
I didn't care for location of the seat heater switches, so I have moved them to the left hand dash panel.

Last edited by mondshine on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

Those front seats look so comfortable.

I still have the stock seats in for the look, but I do agree as I get older the lack of comfort will probably lead to me making a change soon.

I added seat heaters to my seats years ago (bought some universal kits off AMZN or EBAY and they have been a great addition. I just wired them to the battery with a fuse and toggle switch underneath the outboard seat frame. It is a must have for me for top down driving or winter driving.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

That looks great, love the original looking fabric. Top down rides in a jacket on cool fall mornings are the best.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

74-
I enjoyed the stock seats for years, but in my old age, they became less and less comfortable. When I drove out to Things West in Chino, CA, I was a young 65, and stopping every 100 miles (or so) to walk around for a few minutes wasn't that bad.
But my last drive to Kubel Treffen in North Carolina convinced me to install more comfortable seats (and that was only a 1300 mile round trip). A lot of that driving was in pouring rain, so there was nowhere to go but to stay behind the wheel and continue driving.

The headrests on my new seats can be pulled right out of their sockets, and admittedly, the car looks better without them (like regular low back seats).
But I feel kind of stupid removing a safety feature just for appearance, even though "safety feature" is sort of a ridiculous term when discussing Things.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

Those seats are very nice. I added Rockauto seat heaters when I rebuilt the seats. You can barely see the heater on the padding.

No airbags, no ABS, no head rests, no shoulder belts...
We die like real men...

At least I added front disc brakes.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Replacement Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
74-
I enjoyed the stock seats for years, but in my old age, they became less and less comfortable. When I drove out to Things West in Chino, CA, I was a young 65, and stopping every 100 miles (or so) to walk around for a few minutes wasn't that bad.
But my last drive to Kubel Treffen in North Carolina convinced me to install more comfortable seats (and that was only a 1300 mile round trip). A lot of that driving was in pouring rain, so there was nowhere to go but to stay behind the wheel and continue driving.

The headrests on my new seats can be pulled right out of their sockets, and admittedly, the car looks better without them (like regular low back seats).
But I feel kind of stupid removing a safety feature just for appearance, even though "safety feature" is sort of a ridiculous term when discussing Things.

I hear you-I don't particularly like the look of the head rests sticking out past the top of the doors-just looks weird with the top down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: