Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender variety, Replacement and Mods -FYI
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Fender variety, Replacement and Mods -FYI Reply with quote

So, I am replacing the fenders of my 64 Notch. Like all things, Fenders Change. And it sometimes can be the smallest things. Take a look at this page from the VW parts book.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gretchen had the fender shown in the top right. Finding a Fender with Side lamp cut out like that was not possible. The only ones I could find were like the two on the second row. I purchased one which was a 65 and the other side is a 68. No big deal I thought. I can just cut the sidelamp hole for each.
While similar, there is one critical difference for my two fenders. The holes for the trim are different sizes. The 65 is the same trim hole size as my 64. The 68 uses a larger trim hole size. No big deal you think. But it is when you are buying trim mount hardware. So be aware.
I used the first trim hole for the basis of my sidelamp mount. I never expected factory identical. And it will look just fine.
Now if I can just get my skill back on applying a smooth skin level bondo surface to remove a couple of small but very noticeable dents once it is painted.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender variety, Replacement and Mods -FYI Reply with quote

I had someone ask me offline why I just didn't use the original fenders. I simply do not have the skill to return this damage back to what might look good. The prior bondo is slapped on and the curves gone around the headlight is beyond me.

I plan to offer the originals to a local shop for their potential use. They might just be interested in the salvage material.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fender variety, Replacement and Mods -FYI Reply with quote

that's one crusty fender Smile but saveable
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender variety, Replacement and Mods -FYI Reply with quote

The 68 should have small holes for the thin trim. The 66 and earlier use the older wide upper trim, with large metal clips and witches hats like those used to hole the interior panels on. Just a heads up.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: