Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westfalia rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

My son came up to visit and let the dogs play together. He helped me to lift the pop top roof onto the bus. The GoWesty video says to have 3 friends help you, but I'm still under a mild quarantine and my son had the 'Rona not long before me. So two people it was!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a chance to start getting some windows back in as well. I had planned to replace all the window rubber with new gaskets, but the OG gaskets all seemed nice and supple still. I have had crappy gaskets before, like the ones around my middle sliding windows that are not going back in. It'll be my original louvered windows returning to the van from the basement purgatory storage. I scrubbed out all the sealing grooves in the gaskets with soap and warm water before reinstallation and they went in easy. I like an extra vent window in the back for tossing cherry pits when hanging on the couch back there.

The Westfalia sticker is an original from Germany that I have been hoarding for many years in anticipation of this day. It did not disappoint and even went on relatively straight on the pop top. Very Happy
The other sticker I found on eBay.UK last year, I thought it would look cool behind the closet in the blank space there.

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Otiswesty, I'm grateful for another update & photos. I really am eager to see photos when your Bus is completely finished.

I have never been one for stickers on my vehicles, but your two I would definitely get down with: "Non-hippie Bus" & that "Westfalia Werke" decal is beautiful!

Also, I did the same as you with my side marker lights by pushing out the plastic mounting clips and used stainless steel Allen head bolts. I've no more white light shining from behind the marker, but the thick aftermarket seal that causes the reflector to not be flush to the body is on the list to get remedied at some future point.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Been slowly chipping away at this. I've been fixing a bunch of wiring behind the dash and sent the speedometer down to Palo Alto Speedometer as the odometer stopped working and it would be nice to set the mileage to correct since I have a 6 digit odometer now.

The drain pipe from the front air intake was cracked and I got a brand new one from BusLab thanks to BusOK I believe. I also separately got a set of correct high pedestal mats in the Post from BusOK and thought it was something they had made custom. Turns out there is a Wolfsburg West stamp on the rubber.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211867765B

Here's the original drain piece, part number 211259217B

The top is completely installed. Its been over a decade since I did this job last time and this was my 4th canvas. Boy, what a pain screwing down the canvas along the body, especially at the back. Looks good tho and I can't complain. I did realize a few weeks ago that I put the Westfalia sticker on the wrong side of the pop top. Oh well, it's staying there for now. Confused

Sliding door is all done and mounted, I just need to finish up the louvered windows and get those installed. Headliner board is back in and all the little screws too. Once I get the upper bed floor installed I should be able to get the closet and head banger back in. Hopefully tomorrow. More pics to follow

Just a regular guy
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Been slowly chipping away at this.

Slowly?!?
I don't think so. You're going full speed ahead with this Westy. And it's looking great.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The upstairs bed plywood had a layer of white tile board on the underside of it, same as my strips along the roof line. I had drilled some holes in it for different speaker installs back in the day, so that sheet came off. I filled the holes in the plywood with body putty and put a plastic wall sheeting on it. Much thinner than the tile board and a bit thicker than the original vinyl wall paper. Here's a pic of the label on the 4x8 sheet. It was thin and pliable enough that I was able to roll it up so it was easy getting it home from HomeDepot.

You can see the nice plastic valance on the leading edge that is available from Bus-OK or NLA-VW. Looks just like the original but a little stiffer plastic.
The original was already warped and wavy when I bought the car in 1987. I've just been running bare green metal there for a couple decades at least and it looked just fine. Back to the stock look now.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

I've been using a set of 78/79 sliding windows for many years that I got from a wrecking yard in Boring Oregon. However, with all this work, I'm wanting to get my original louvered windows back in. They have been sitting down in the basement for literally 20 years.

So the next step has been working with the louvered windows to try and get them back in tip top shape. There are some great threads and rebuild videos on restoring these. It started out a little rough tho. Half of my screws seem to be soldered or brazed in place. I thought it was some kind of glue or epoxy at first, but t won't chip off.

Okay, put a torch on it is my next step. I did have one of the knobs on the right side window. I went to take the retaining screw out and the bolt sheared off. Err, so I guess I need a replacement mechanism for that side now.

I did pick up a buffing wheel and some "brown" aluminum buffing compound at Harbor Freight once I get these things taken apart. I also have the seal set from Wolfsburg West to get them back together pretty and fresh.

Maybe I'll just rope in the sliding windows for a bit and get to work finishing the front doors and dash.

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The back side of the dash has been an exploration all its own. I haven't had the windshield out and dash top off for a long time. So easy to get at stuff and fix some of the crappy wiring that has been festering in there. Actually found a hot circuit 30 wire from the head light switch just hanging out, plus some other random old project wiring.

My speedo is a MPH trip version that I found on the classifieds here a few years ago after looking for one forever. The odometer stopped working after 5K miles so I sent it down to Palo Alto Speedometer a couple weeks ago. Hartmut put in a couple new gears and got it cleaned up and reset to approx actual mileage for the Bus.

I also had a Heater timer clock that had stopped telling the time. Despite the cool rare looks, I replaced it with my old dash clock. I realized how much I loved the ticking of the second hand in that one that used to be white noise while I was studying in the van or just hanging at the beach.

All wired back in and got the silver socket, 12v socket and rear window heater switch rewired as well. Both the Hazard switch and gas heater switch were loose and really hard to get to by reaching up there before the dash was opened up like this.

I have a fog light switch installed also, but not hooked up right now. I haven't committed to adding aux lights and may repurpose the switch for something else.

Here is the speedo and clock up front

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Also found behind the dash a broken heater cable. It's the short one that diverts to the floor vents. Buslab has them in stock, they are made by Bus-OK. I should have it early next week. One of the long heater cables broke a few years back, its one of those that go to the rear flapper boxes. I replaced that at the time of my engine install. It was the spring looking end that commonly breaks. The housing is what broke on my heat diverter cable which I have not heard of before. Once I get that replaced, I'll put some speedometer cable lube down each of the tubes. It is graphite powder suspended in light oil. Hope that reduces stress on the cable and mechanisms.

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

It was nice to read about Palo Alto Speedo and Hartmut. I will possibly be seeing him next week. My dad used to work there and he's coming to my dad's memorial I believe. They do very awesome work there and I am hoping to have him recondition my Superbeetle, 78 Bus, and future Scirocco gauge clusters too.

It is very encouraging to see your thread and I am eager to try my hand at my '78 when I get through with a few other projects.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

i need that short cable as well. just looked at buslab and the only cable i saw was one for a 74-75 year model. did you have to call for the cable? im not seeing it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
i need that short cable as well. just looked at buslab and the only cable i saw was one for a 74-75 year model. did you have to call for the cable? im not seeing it.

Here it is. It fit no problem. Took 3 min to install from above.
I think the original part number was 211711647B that has been superceded by the "C" part number
https://www.buslab.com/product-p/211711647c.htm
https://bus-ok.nl/Centre-Dash-Heater-Cable-bay-81975-71979-Verglnr-211711647-B-Exclusive-by-BUS-ok

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
It was nice to read about Palo Alto Speedo and Hartmut. I will possibly be seeing him next week. My dad used to work there and he's coming to my dad's memorial I believe. They do very awesome work there and I am hoping to have him recondition my Superbeetle, 78 Bus, and future Scirocco gauge clusters too.

It is very encouraging to see your thread and I am eager to try my hand at my '78 when I get through with a few other projects.

Thanks for your nice words. I'm sorry for the loss of your father.
PA Speedo has done a few repairs for me previously for other vehicles (VW T3 Syncro speedo and Mercedes G 460 speedo). I was surprised that prices seemed quite a bit higher than I expected based on the prior invoices. Just FYI, but the speedo they fixed looks like new. I haven't road tested it yet, still waiting for my new windshield.

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

I had to fiddle a bit with the lower cable attachment.
Full write up here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331689

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Busy day today.

I had been looking for a T2/T3 stainless tailpipe. Seems like everyone is sold out on them. I ended up getting one from Frank Condelli in the Great White North and it arrived last week. At one point, I actually got a complete stainless exhaust from him for my Vanagon in about 2006. The ceramic coated Dansk tailpipe that I have had on the Bus was a rusty roached out POS and went in the recycle bin even though it was only 5 years old.

I pulled the rear bumper and remounted my Peka 5-bolt hitch. I found a new tailpipe gasket at the Halsey Motors parts counter and well they had Westfalia stickers in the glass case. I couldn't resist. At least its on the correct side now even if it isn't the last of the OEM in that sublime dark grey matte. Sad

I got a MAP torch on the louvered window screws and manage to get them all loosened, a big relief.

I wasn't sure if the mounting screws for holding the windows to the body were M6 or M8. They are definitely M6. now I just need to determine if I need the 3/8" or 1/2" length screws.

Also getting ready to put the closet and headbanger back in. Some veneer repair was in order. I just used Elmers white glue. I've also tried contact cement and epoxy in the past, but they all seem to fail eventually, so now back to basic wood glue.

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

thanks for that part number. will be ordering one. cheers

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Otiswesty, been following your thread for a while….very impressed with your
Attention to detail! I too am a student of Eche bus, and doing a total resto on a 76 Westy. How did you install the “ off white” ceiling piece from NLA? Did you warm it up before installing? I used the “t” molding from Bus Depot on the cabinets where I could not “ fix” the OEM , and just received my “ K” molding from NLA for a couple of cabinet doors where I also could fix, and it is very soft… going to be a challenge! Thank you , Bob
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Keep a close eye on that hardware for the Louvers. Most of those blister pack SS stuff wouldn’t know stainless from painless. Test with a magnet. You can get real stuff from Belmetric or McMaster Carr
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Otiswesty, been following your thread for a while….very impressed with your
Attention to detail! I too am a student of Eche bus, and doing a total resto on a 76 Westy. How did you install the “ off white” ceiling piece from NLA? Did you warm it up before installing? I used the “t” molding from Bus Depot on the cabinets where I could not “ fix” the OEM , and just received my “ K” molding from NLA for a couple of cabinet doors where I also could fix, and it is very soft… going to be a challenge! Thank you , Bob

Hey Bob, that molding on the roof will not slip over the flat metal support. There is a lip at both front and rear which should lap over the metal. The plastic is very stiff and in no way pliable enough. I tried warming it in the hot sun, no go. Since the back edge is held up by the upper bunk screws, I just removed the rear lip and it is now held pressed up to the upper bunk board by the screws. The rigidity helps here to keep the whole piece nice and flush. No pics, but the modified edge is covered and not visible.

I have a bunch of extras of the different black moldings that I pulled out of Westies in the junkyards back in the mid 90s. It's coming in handy right now. I lay them in the sun before installing to make them more pliable. Thank goodness its summer. This wouldn't be an Oregon winter option.

Just a regular guy
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Thank you! That was what I was “thinking” had to be done. No way that you can slip the whole back lip over the metal once the front lip is on. I wonder how they did it at the factory! Bob
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Thank you! That was what I was “thinking” had to be done. No way that you can slip the whole back lip over the metal once the front lip is on. I wonder how they did it at the factory! Bob

That factory piece was much more pliable. I can specifically remember pulling it off and throwing in the trash.

It is so amazing that all of this repro stuff is available now. That trim piece, the carpet, a fully OG style laminate, entry threshold plastic and aluminum. The list goes on and on. These are items I spent looking for online for hours and hours year after year.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: