Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC Fan Relay 140
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bledsoe57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

I have a 2003 VW Eurovan 24v vr6 with Climatronic and had some issues with the AC.

I would like to replace relay 140 based on my troubleshooting. It appears original part number was 701959141B however it's no longer available. It appears VW retired the part and therefore I can not find a replacement.

I found that part 171959141A may be a suitable replacements.

Can someone confirm if these indeed are the same relay?

Images attached of the relays for comparison.

TYIA
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

bledsoe57 wrote:

Can someone confirm if these indeed are the same relay?

They have different wiring diagrams, so no, they're not equivalent.

Have you opened up the old one to see if it's got any burned contacts? You can do that, and also test that the relay coils have appropriate resistance (100 ohms or so).

You could also build a replacement out of two standard relays, simply copying that schematic.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

I’ve gotten some strange parts from this Atlanta dealer

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/products/Audi/Re...gK-FPD_BwE
bledsoe57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

Quote:

You could also build a replacement out of two standard relays, simply copying that schematic.

Do you have a resource that may discuss how this is done? I've not attempted to open the relay, I'll plan to do that soon but would like to go ahead and rebuild it if it appears to be failed. I've seen some people trying to fix the solder points but mostly unsuccessfully.

Thank you!

Quote:
I’ve gotten some strange parts from this Atlanta dealer

I attempted to order one from Jim Ellis and the order kicked back as cancelled do to part being discontinued. Good try though.

Thank you too!
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

Sure it’s the relay that’s the issue?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

so was this resolved?

a whole year with no a/c
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

You need a single pole single throw relay for the right side function, and a double pole single throw for the left side function, 12 volt, 25 amp rated or more for both.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

Anyone tried the JL relay sold by Pelican parts and RMEuropean? About $30. Same part number as the OE relay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

Have you tried repairing your relay? I pulled mine open and found cold solder joints. Cleaned the board up and reaolderes the high current joints. Been holding for 2 summers now.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

Anyone tried the "JL" relay sold by RMEuropean and Pelican Parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Fan Relay 140 Reply with quote

While I was diagnosing the AC system in my 1993 Weekender, I came across the damaged AC relay (140). One of main traces had lifted off of the circuit board and there was significant scorching as well. Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement relay in a Eurovan at one of the local junkyards.

When researching possible alternatives for the 140 relay came across a post in the VWT4Forum focused on this same question: What are the difference between the 171959141 A & B relays? The 171959141A (13) is found in the Vanagon, Golf, Jetta, Scirocco, Corrado models and the 171959141B (140) is only used in the T4/Eurovans.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/threads/manual-air-conditioning-relay-compatibility-140-vs-13.1806223/

They write in the post:
I just read in an old thread in a German forum that they are not completely interchangeable. A user explained that relay 140 has a 0.5 second delay between fan and compressor activation, while relay 13 has none.

Then follows up with this cited on the German post:
Relay 13 also has 3 contacts, but this has no built-in time delay. To switch on the air conditioning you have to switch on the AC and the button for the fresh air blower at the very back. Danger here: If you only switch on the fan at the very back, the air conditioning compressor starts without the cooling fans starting

Additionally, found this listing on a German language website outlining all of the different VW relays by the number printed on the outer face. It is a great reference guide for all of the relays used in the Eurovans and other VW models.
English Translation: https://mekgeiwer-bplaced-net.translate.goog/VAG_R...h=http#167
The original page: http://mekgeiwer.bplaced.net/VAG_Relais.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: