Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast Food Restaurants
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Robert Sapulski did an excellent analysis of the effects of toxification versus time versus hereditary factors. It revealed a steep bell curve with a small percentage charmed ( it just does not matter what they are exposed to) and a small percentage cursed ( like Jim Fixx). Most of us are mere mortals where toxification will effect our heath and longevity. I reasonable conclusion that would weigh in ones decision making about how they interact with the world. That said, I'm worth a few extra dollars for a safer choice....how about you?

That is a very fair point. Since there is no way to know for sure, why take the risk?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
a small percentage cursed (like Jim Fixx)

Jim Fixx' father's family had a history of early/bad heart disease. The father died at age 35 Jim lived to 55, maybe/likely helped by hi diet and running. That's a big difference of 20 years. But Jim couldn't choose his heredity...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Xevin wrote:
no more Monsanto. Bayer AG of Germany acquired them in 2018. Many articles on what S-show that deal was for Bayer. From Wikipedia.

“Bayer's Monsanto acquisition is the biggest acquisition by a German company to date.However, owing to ongoing litigation concerning the herbicide Roundup, produced by Monsanto, the deal is considered one of the worst corporate deals ever agreed, owing to the massive financial and reputational blows it has caused Bayer.”

Round Up must be some really, really bad shit if it's tarnishing the reputation of the company that made Zyklon B.

Roundup is used extensively to speed ripen crops from potatoes through all cereal grains. Big operations need predictability as to when the crops are ready to harvest and how evenly they ripen. With Roundup application the harvest can be scheduled within a day or two regardless of the weather.

Not saying I agree with the practice...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:
Xevin wrote:
no more Monsanto. Bayer AG of Germany acquired them in 2018. Many articles on what S-show that deal was for Bayer. From Wikipedia.

“Bayer's Monsanto acquisition is the biggest acquisition by a German company to date.However, owing to ongoing litigation concerning the herbicide Roundup, produced by Monsanto, the deal is considered one of the worst corporate deals ever agreed, owing to the massive financial and reputational blows it has caused Bayer.”

Round Up must be some really, really bad shit if it's tarnishing the reputation of the company that made Zyklon B.

Roundup is used extensively to speed ripen crops from potatoes through all cereal grains. Big operations need predictability as to when the crops are ready to harvest and how evenly they ripen. With Roundup application the harvest can be scheduled within a day or two regardless of the weather.

Not saying I agree with the practice...

It speeds up the ripening of crops? I thought it was a broad leaf weed herbicide.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

since roundup is non selective, it will kill just about anything it touches Laughing

at one time farms used to use Glyphosate or a derivative thereof to speed up drying time and accelerate harvest. There may be 1% of farms still doing that. It got to the point where the juice wasn't worth the squeeze

just like back in the day when fuel was cheap we use to run hay dryers. we'd have 6 hay wagons in the 'machinery shed' as it was called where it was set up like car wash stalls.

pull the wagon in and drop the canvas curtains over the wagons and let'er rip. we stopped that when home heating oil hit around 1.20/gal

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
since roundup is non selective, it will kill just about anything it touches Laughing

You're not kidding. During the 2nd year with our new lawn (sod), I decided to try a little roundup to eliminate a few weeds growing in spots in the grass. As careful as I thought I was, only hitting the weeds, that shit killed everything in a 1 sq foot area around wherever I sprayed. Man, was my wife pissed.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of fresh sod (of the same type of grass) and spliced it in after I cut out the dead parts and water-drenched the soil under it.

It recovered nicely. Hard to tell where the bad spots were by the following summer.

I'm back to digging out weeds with a weed digging tool. It's quite therapeutic (and effective).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

You're not kidding. During the 2nd year with our new lawn (sod), I decided to try a little roundup to eliminate a few weeds growing in spots in the grass. As careful as I thought I was, only hitting the weeds, that shit killed everything in a 1 sq foot area around wherever I sprayed. Man, was my wife pissed.

I'm back to digging out weeds with a weed digging tool. It's quite therapeutic (and effective).

Yes, kills almost everything when it gets on the green areas of the plant.

There are "safe-for-lawns" weed killers available, I currently use Weed Stop for Lawns from Home Depot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I’ve been in my house for 2 years. Beautiful house and neighborhood. The previous owners where in over their head with maintenance. So my lawn and landscaping is invaded with some kind of roundish leaf creeping ivy weed. I redid some of the landscaping and it keeps trying to sneak in from the lawn. Totally sucks. Don’t know what to do to get back to grass.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

If Round-Up is so toxic, why are they allowed to still sell it? Sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
If Round-Up is so toxic, why are they allowed to still sell it? Sad

money.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

The farming industry here would be pretty screwed without it! When you have 5000+ acers to harvest and the weather doesn't co-operate...

Oh ya! Grain production here is TOTALLY dependant on chemicals from seeding time right through to harvest! There is anywhere from 3 to 7 applications of different chemicals in a growing season depending on the type of crop and the conditions.

You city guys have no idea, I didn't either until we moved here. Shocked
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The farming industry here would be pretty screwed without it! When you have 5000+ acers to harvest and the weather doesn't co-operate...

Oh ya! Grain production here is TOTALLY dependant on chemicals from seeding time right through to harvest! There is anywhere from 3 to 7 applications of different chemicals in a growing season depending on the type of crop and the conditions.

You city guys have no idea, I didn't either until we moved here. Shocked
We had a crop duster come in every couple of years and spray for morning glory, which was an issue in the wheat fields before the wheat emerged. Pulling rye is a good summer kid job, which was tedious but easy since it grows taller than wheat. We were also lucky that rust was less of an issue since our humidity was low, so no fungicides.

I recall having to leave our Christmas tree farm with my tiny kids when all the farmers had to coordinate spraying for twig boring beetles - that stuff was toxic nasty and there was no way my littles where going to be in the same zip code as that stuff.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Monsanto/Bayer sells genetically-modified seeds that resist Roundup, enabling it's indiscriminate spraying on food crops, despite the documented health risks. It is widely used and there are few viable alternatives that can pencil out in the market today. A bad situation but with no non-bad solutions, either.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

New rule. Board members of AgriPhsrm have to drink a beaker mix of their top ten selling chemicals each Thanksgiving.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
New rule. Board members of AgriPhsrm have to drink a beaker mix of their top ten selling chemicals each Thanksgiving.

Brings to mind the pest control guy who assured me that the spray they were using for the carpenter ants we found "is so safe I could lick it off the baseboards" when questioned how toxic it was for my 2 year old to be around, so I said "go ahead", and he was momentarily confused, and I reiterated "go ahead, lick it off", and he looked at me like I was crazy. As it was a neurotoxin, our daughter was essentially banned form that part of the house because of how awful it was.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Odd twist of thread to simultaneously moan about the high cost of food and the chemicals that make it cheap.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

PuddleRainbow wrote:
Odd twist of thread to simultaneously moan about the high cost of food and the chemicals that make it cheap.

True dat! Very Happy
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one who played in the fog of the mosquito truck. Ours came in the late night hours when the wind was calm. The mature trees on our street formed a tunnel halfway down so it stuck around. It did have an oddly sweet aroma.
Turns out it was Malathion.
Shocked
I don't think it (twitch) did any lasting (twitch) harm (twitch).

stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: