Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle engine upgrade
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3crispies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Rebuilt our current 1600 sp a few years ago although it has a few upgrades (34 icts, leccy ign) it never seems to move like I expected. So I have a good 1600 engine from our late bay that I want to upgrade, without machine work and using 34icts what cam for just doing 0-50mph is recommended, will I need to go HD springs. Was thinking of using our mahle 1600 b & ps as dont want thin wall with the chance of warping (wet/damp weather). Could I take it somewhere to alter compression ratio maybe.
Plan is upgrade to ecu wasted spark set up for ignition only, cb throttle linkage reuse, oem twin webers, C25 cam and better flowing exhaust and sell 1600sp engine turnkey.
Dont want to go down of route of machining thats why originally I opted for s/p for durability but may replace oem exhaust look which we prefer to a vintage speed oem appearance.

My engine skills are very basic so please be nice !!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

H.P is in the Heads, go dual ports , add a pair of 40 IDF's a nice header and you'll be Happy Wink I would not waste my time with S.P heads and single throat carbs!
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

If it's a '71/'72 Bus engine it will already have dual ports heads. That is worth 3 HP in stock form. VW got 66 HP out of dual single carbs on the type 3 engine. The crank trigger ignition will net you some drivability and maybe a couple mpg but little in the power department over stock ignition. The cam change without any change to stock heads might be worth 3 HP but expect to loose a bit on the low end. Maybe a HP or two with the exhaust. I'm thinking 68 to 70 HP? Your current one I would guess is giving you 60 HP now.

I guess what I am getting at is your total power gain is going to be very modest. You need to decide if it is worth the $$ spent.

Oh! And as for the no machining thing... good luck with that! I have rebuilt a number of these engines over the years and have yet to find a used type 1 engine that did not need an align bore.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Why are you intimidated by machine work?

Building a nice 1776 can get you 80+ HP and be a great pleasure to drive.

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-bolt-on-modifications/

https://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

3crispies wrote:
I have a good 1600 engine from our late bay that I want to upgrade

oprn wrote:
If it's a '71/'72 Bus engine it will already have dual ports heads.

1970 Bus would've originally been 1600cc single port.

1971 Bus would've originally been 1600cc dual port.

1972 Bus would've originally been Type 4 engine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
3crispies wrote:

oprn wrote:

Not in the UK, Type-4 was an option. we could still get 1600's right to the end of production and the vast majority of UK buses were 1600 powered.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Not in the UK, Type-4 was an option. we could still get 1600's right to the end of production and the vast majority of UK buses were 1600 powered.

Well, forgive me - I didn't know where "Cambs" is.

By the way - I've run 1835cc DP engine since 1976, and love it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
3crispies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Why are you intimidated by machine work?

Building a nice 1776 can get you 80+ HP and be a great pleasure to drive.

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-bolt-on-modifications/

https://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/

yeah agreed suppose I was trying to do everything, if I go 1776cc AA-mahle cast or are forged really that much better, stock cooling/sump/rockers ?
3crispies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
H.P is in the Heads, go dual ports , add a pair of 40 IDF's a nice header and you'll be Happy Wink I would not waste my time with S.P heads and single throat carbs!
yeah sorry heads are AA dual ports already Embarassed
3crispies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
3crispies wrote:

oprn wrote:

what cam or not really worth the money ? : Very Happy
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

That C25 cam that you suggested will work Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Read all you can about different builds here on the Samba and then research parts availability and cost. It won't take long to get a grip on the possibilities.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine upgrade Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

Well, forgive me - I didn't know where "Cambs" is.

By the way - I've run 1835cc DP engine since 1976, and love it.
You are forgiven. lol
You lucky Americans seem to have got the best of the best as standard, so many deluxe buses, type-4 engines etc. All these things were options here and the import tax was so great in the 70's that most people went for a very basic model instead. Many of our campers were stock panel vans converted from new in the UK purely because the import tax was far less on commercial vehicles. Horrible things TBH but £ rules.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: