Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between single and dual port?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveydad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Looking at purchasing a decent looking '67 Beetle with a 1600cc dual port engine. Here's a pic of it. What's the difference between a single and dual port?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

single port

dual port

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

There are a lot of differences, the big one being that there are a lot of performance upgrades available for the Dual Port Engines however the 67 had an original matching H Case engine number for those who value having their car all original.
The 1971 and later AE and AH Dual Port engines have improved dog house fan shroud and an aluminum oil cooler for better cooling etc.. maybe avoid it though if it's got the original 67 single port fan shroud on it because with Dual Port heads that's. a recipe for over heating. What Letters does the Case Number Begin with? H or AE or AH or DO or Mexico or Nothing?
My AE Dual Port Case:

True Dual Port Engine cases have 2 oil pressure relief plugs on the bottom. The Single Port engine only had the one at the pulley end of the case.

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The 1971 and later AE and AH Dual Port engines have improved dog house fan shroud and an aluminum oil cooler for better cooling etc.. maybe avoid it though if it's got the original 67 single port fan shroud on it because with Dual Port heads that's. a recipe for over heating. What Letters does the Case Number Begin with? H or AE or AH or DO or Mexico or Nothing?

There is an exception to every rule. The exception to the single port / dual port "rule" is the 1970 "B" serial number single ports. It's a single port built on a "dual port" case.

Type 3s got dual port heads first. You could call it an Old Speed trick to swap dual port heads to a single relief case.

IMO the sure recipe for overheating is to leave off the breastplate tin or run it without the paper hoses to the heater boxes. Seen plenty of 'em like that.

Used to be my pet peeve. I'd send a VW on its way with the tin and the hoses as they should be. I'd see the same VW a week later with tin and / or hoses missing.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
IMO the sure recipe for overheating is to... <snip> ...run it without the paper hoses to the heater boxes.

Why is this? Is it because the forced air through the exchangers purges heat that would normally just sit there and cook the heat exchangers?

I ask because many people just plug the shroud outlets and go happily motoring along.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
IMO the sure recipe for overheating is to... <snip> ...run it without the paper hoses to the heater boxes.

Why is this? Is it because the forced air through the exchangers purges heat that would normally just sit there and cook the heat exchangers?

I ask because many people just plug the shroud outlets and go happily motoring along.

Plugging the fan outlets is o.k..

It's not o.k. to just remove the (originally paper) hoses. The idea is to dam the air up so most of it goes over the cylinders.

Doesn't matter if it's air, water or electricity. Energy will take the path of least resistance. If the path of least resistance is out through the front of the shroud unobstructed that's where it's going to go.

I've done "belt and suspenders" setups. I plug the heater outlets with freeze plugs intended for the water jackets of American V8s. I secure the plugs with a couple easy to remove spot welds. I install the hoses over the plugged outlets. There are only so many times I'm going to send a VW out the door with the hoses installed only to have them AWOL next time I see the vehicle.

Your heat won't work but your engine won't melt. Cool

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Those rear tins are not from a '67. They look like maybe 1300 tins, judging from the single warm air intake on the left side. Same for the air cleaner. Here is what a stock '67 engine bay looked like:

(yes, please excuse the then-common non-stock plastic fuel filter)
daveydad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

So is there a major concern if the tin isn't correct or it has that air filter? And where does that thinner left hose connect to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
There are a lot of differences, the big one being that there are a lot of performance upgrades available for the Dual Port Engines however the 67 had an original matching H Case engine number for those who value having their car all original.
My AE Dual Port Case:

True Dual Port Engine cases have 2 oil pressure relief plugs on the bottom. The Single Port engine only had the one at the pulley end of the case.
I have a single port 1970 B case. It's also a dual relief case.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

Unless you are getting rid of the heat exchangers for "J" tubes, you need the fresh air to the HEs.

How the heating system works:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051&highlight=heater+tutorial

FYI the above link is in the "Late Model FAQ "Sticky's"- *Read before posting*" at the very top of the forum and is full of the best of the best VW info that any VW owner must read thru now and then.

How important quality heater boxes and fresh air tubes are:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550079&highlight=exchanger+vents
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Plugging the fan outlets is o.k..

Well, it is…but only if you’re running J-tubes in place of heater boxes.

The hoses route cooling air from the shroud over the exhaust before passing it thru the heater boxes, where it exits at the forward end. Even with the cabin heat shut off, this constant air flow pulls heat from the exhaust, which in turn helps cool the cylinder heads.

So, if you run stock heater boxes, keep those fresh air hoses in place.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between single and dual port? Reply with quote

...^ ^ ^
...............^ ^ ^

What I was thinking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: