Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

Trying to button up the “last few steps” before I can crank the bus up. The current series of projects has taken a few months, and I (think) I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tweaking the cable-mounted throttle return spring on the 28 PICT 1 to get it to work smoothly, and have assembled/disassembled/reassembled no less than half a dozen times. For max clearance, I have disconnected plug wires and pulled the distributor cap. As I’m reassembling the return assembly again, that little tiny clip that secures the throttle cable flips off of the cable. Where does it go? Down into the very bottom of the distributor, of course. I stick my head into the engine compartment as far as I can and shine the flashlight down there. Sure enough, I can barely see the edge of the clip down in the belly of the distributor.

The thought of having to pull the distributor just to shake that little bastard out before I can continue with the “last few steps” is enough to make me consider throwing the flashlight across the garage and calling it quits for the day. I end up doing exactly that, with added expletives for good measure.

Why must these “last few steps” take so friggin long?!

Rant over. Thanks for tuning in. Now back to your projects that are obviously going smoother than mine!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

Of course.

Do you have a telescoping cobalt magnet?

Maybe this will help. Found this in my fruit this morning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Of course.

Do you have a telescoping cobalt magnet?

Maybe this will help. Found this in my fruit this morning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How can a strawberry VW not help?! Thanks, Barry!

I do have a telescoping magnet, but the magnet itself is just big enough that it won’t fit past the upper plate and into the bottom of the distributor. Oh well. It wasn’t even timed yet, so loosen a couple of bolts, shake the clip out, and drop it back in. I was just tired and frustrated enough to make a bigger deal out of it than it was.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

"Just one more thing." It can get frustrating.
Keep at it. When you get your first 50 miles on it, you'll feel much better.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

Nice strawberries ! Little crap is always longer, get it right "slowly" the first time, less work later. At least your home is not being raided-right?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

I was lending a hand to my friend the independent Porsche-BMW shop owner one afternoon and he got so pissed off working under the hood of a BMW he threw a pair of channel lock pliers across the shop while he cussed at the top of his lungs.

I walked over across the shop, picked up the pair of channel locks, looked at them and then looked at him in disbelief.

He says "WHAT!"

I said "DAMNIT MAN! You threw a pair of HAZET pliers! Throw the cheap Harbor Freight stuff!"

We both laughed and got back on the project.
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

Well, for all the frustration it caused, it just took all of 5 minutes to pull the distributor, shake the clip out and reinstall the distributor. As my wife will readily attest to, I’ve been known to make big deals out of nothings!

Now, if I can just get this throttle return operating smoothly, I might just be able to turn the key today!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

What are the symptoms of the throttle frustrations?

Not sure why it does it but if you stick an 8 penny nail head to the magnet then the nail tip will pick up fairly heavy little objects like that keeper.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

Building a new engine and installing the 4th piston/cylinder and the very last wire wristpin clip popped off and somehow slipped past the shop rags I used to cover the opening. After spending 30 minutes of turning the engine, using a stick magnet I pulled one of the other cylinders off and found it stuck to the cam lube on one of the lobes.

That was an hour lost in a hot shop, but I wasn't going to stop until it was found.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As a gag I once brought an old one and dropped it on the floor when visiting a friend who was building an engine. He freaked.. until i told him it was me.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rant: Why must the “last few steps” take so long?! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What are the symptoms of the throttle frustrations?

Not sure why it does it but if you stick an 8 penny nail head to the magnet then the nail tip will pick up fairly heavy little objects like that keeper.

Good magnet tip! Will have to remember that one.

Got the throttle return working smoothly. The issue was that I could feel every coil of the return spring passing over the end of the tube as I applied throttle, sometimes binding. I ended up bending the tube ever so slightly up and towards the carb, and using very fine file to round off the edges of the end of the tube. Pedal feel is nice and firm now, and smooth like butter.

Next time I get an hour or so back in the garage, I’ll be cranking her over!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: