Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumbling when hot
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
merv101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Stumbling when hot Reply with quote

Hey all,
I'm sure this topic has been discussed time and time again, so please direct me to the right thread if available.

I have an 1988 VW Cabriolet with CIS-E and K-Jetronic fuel injection, and when the ambient temperature is warm/hot, the car will begin to struggle and die. The car has good pep and power, but after driving for 10 minutes or so, it wants to die. I've learned via cabby-info.com that fuel pumps are the go-to thing to replace to fix this issue. I've replaced the in-tank pump once and the in-line pump twice to no avail. The fuel filter, the fuel pump relay, and the fuel injection power supply relay have all been replaced as well. Pic for attention.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling when hot Reply with quote

They did not make a Cabriolet with CIS-e, at least here in the USA.

Did you do any tests? How do you know if those pumps are any good? What is the name brand of the pump?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling when hot Reply with quote

Check your distributor cap & rotor. Many aftermarket ones are made of subpar materials that melt or burn away causing similar scenarios.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
merv101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling when hot Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
They did not make a Cabriolet with CIS-e, at least here in the USA.

Did you do any tests? How do you know if those pumps are any good? What is the name brand of the pump?

Thanks for that distinction.

I can't imagine why the pumps would be faulty. In-tank is from URO Parts and in-line is Bosch.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling when hot Reply with quote

I would be more surprised that a new URO pump worked longer than a few hours.

Not certain what would last longer. A cold beer on a hot day, a URO fuel pump, or a Vemo fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: