Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blownbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

I am looking to swap a 58 fiat 600 to air cooled vw. I got the entire pan from the pedals back with irs. Anyone got any photos of chassis setups? I know there are some older threads on here but unfortunately they don't really show any of the build just completed cars. I even tried to contact some of those people but that leads nowhere as well, I'm guessing due to the age of the threads. My plan is to swap in the vw spine and frame horns, then build custom A arms.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

I can’t think of any current active vw powered fiat owners on here.
Try here maybe, all old threads:
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1097718&hilit=Fiat#p1097718
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=694099&hilit=Fiat#p694099
There’s some other fiat topics on there, too.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blownbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i seen those. Same problem, all older photos of completed cars. Thanks for sharing tho! Maybe someone else has some more info and will chime in.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

My father did an 850 years ago and I built the engine. But that was just an engine and trans swap with modified fiat arms for vw irs hubs. I wish that guy stayed in touch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

Are you familiar with the various Abarth versions of the 600? These were called Berlina Corsa. The last versions were 1968 to 1970 or so and were TCR. These final versions had nice looking fiberglass fender flares for the rear and would possibly allow you to use std VW irs trailing arms and axles. The car would handle far better with the wider track frt and rear and the VW irs is far superior than the really terrible Fiat layout.
blownbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

Yes i am, agree on the track
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

I don't believe he's on here, but you might try Mikey Brown. He runs a VW-powered H/Gas Fiat 600 named the "The Crusty Crab' here in the Midwest.

Website -- https://www.papertopavement.com/projects
YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzWVoRUQhhY
blownbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

Yeah i messaged on youtube for him to make a video of the chassis setup
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

The swap I am thinking of is a Spitfire. Body on frame so once you have the VW torsion grafted to the frame you can start lowering the body and see where you need to trim. Fuel tank and battery up front where the motor used to be. Spitfires have a great looking steel hardtop readily available and some homemade louvers would disguise anything that might stick up above the trunk lid. Need to be the later Kamm tail versions.

Now for Plan B. 002 or 091 bellhousing, custom made adaptor plate, T10, Muncie, T5, or ???? manual trans and the VW motor mounted in the front ?!??!??! The front suspension would have to be moved forward or possible use 914 complete A arms and strut assembles to allow room for the VW heads..... The transaxle headaches that plague VWs is banished forever.
blownbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

Cool idea, build it I’d love to see it ! However the fiat is rear engine so id prefer to leave it that way.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

blownbeetle wrote:
Cool idea, build it I’d love to see it ! However the fiat is rear engine so id prefer to leave it that way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is over my desk Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

I would narrow and shorten the pan to fit the fiat. Narrow the beam. Then figure out how to narrow the rear suspension. Short torsion bars along with late spring plates and modified vw arms. But, that’s just an idea.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fiat 600 air cooled conversion topic Reply with quote

There are a few threads in Readers Rides section of the forum where this is done to a Renault Dauphine. Not a Fiat but similar work seems to be required. Lots of pictures of the process.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: