Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxster 1.8t
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

wow that is a lot of work by a highly skilled guy!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wow that is a lot of work by a highly skilled guy!

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got some more seat time in today, we had a beautiful fall day here in upstate NY. I'm very happy with the performance, the gearing is a little high, I may end up swapping the transmission with one from a 1.8t Passat.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jah29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Very Cool!

What year is this? Is this a 5 or 6 speed? Base or S. I know the 1.8t only bolts to some boxster transmissions, and I don’t know which ones Very Happy

I have a ‘99 5spd that is going to need a new engine soon.

Thanks,
Justin
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Jah29 wrote:
Very Cool!

What year is this? Is this a 5 or 6 speed? Base or S. I know the 1.8t only bolts to some boxster transmissions, and I don’t know which ones Very Happy

I have a ‘99 5spd that is going to need a new engine soon.

Thanks,
Justin

Thanks Justin, this is a '99 base Boxster with 5 speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Turbos like higher gears as they make it get boost faster. Try stepping down on the gas or increase the boost. Back in the early 70's we would disconnect the transmission step down from the carb linkage so the boost wouldn't drop when we mashed the gas and the car would take off like it did downshift.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Curious, what are you using for an intercooler? And what motor code? Also did you get the stock tach to work with the 1.8t?

I’m really loving this build and how appealing it makes a Porsche Boxster look now. Thank you for posting it.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Curious, what are you using for an intercooler? And what motor code? Also did you get the stock tach to work with the 1.8t?

I’m really loving this build and how appealing it makes a Porsche Boxster look now. Thank you for posting it.

This is an AEB 1.8t, I have the stock passat intercooler mounted behind the left side scoop. The tach is not yet working. I bought a tach signal converter but have not had time to put into it yet.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
This is an AEB 1.8t, I have the stock passat intercooler mounted behind the left side scoop. The tach is not yet working. I bought a tach signal converter but have not had time to put into it yet.

Ok. I never really looked closely enough at a Boxster to realize that those scoops were actually functional lol.

I figured that with the tach but thought I’d ask. I’ve done more than my fair share of vr swaps in various watercooled platforms and figured out a bypass to make those clusters read right. So I wasn’t sure if you came up with something seeing how you’re very creative (followed all your builds).

So Porsche doesn’t use a immoblizer type system like mk4’s? Just wondering if I need to look for a specific year(s) Boxster or just any 5 speed. I love wiring so I don’t mind having to come up with a work around for an immobizer if needs be.

Thanks for getting back to me on this and creating this thread. It’s pretty awesome that this works like it does. The further the price drops on these cars I think this swap will be way more common. I showed this to my Porsche friends and they are loving it and asked me how soon I could do it lol. So thanks again!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

I've got about 500 miles on the turbo Boxster. The stock Porsche gearing is working out great with the APR tuned 1.8t, this thing is a blast to drive! While I haven't really checked it yet, the fuel mileage seems to be really good, I'm guessing it's around 30mpgs or better.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

June '19 update. I got the factory Boxster tach working with the 1.8t. You need to first convert the signal from the ECM to something different using the MSD 8920 tach signal converter and then use the Dakota Digital SGI-8e tach signal interface to alter the pulse count to make the 6cyl tach be accurate when using a 4 cyl. Having the tach working also allowed the factory Porsche cruise control to work.

Loving this car! I'm taking it whenever I can get away with only having two seats.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

so it's ok without a MIL light for NYS inspection purposes.?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
so it's ok without a MIL light for NYS inspection purposes.?

Good point Dan, The CEL will be fully functional, I just need to take care of the EVAP wiring, its on my list. Readiness monitors will all set like they should. The one thing that could be an issue is it will look like it is plugged into a Passat or Audi A4 when I go to inspect it. The next time a NYS DMV official is here at my shop I'm planning on running it by him to see what they recommend.
feaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Hi, know this is an old topic but was wondering if you would be so kind as to tell me how/what you used to fabricate the front engine mount? Yours looks awesome by the way. Did you template it or use 2 different mounts and a piece of box section and weld them together? I want to put my built 1.8t lump into a Cayman as a winter project so any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers feak
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

feaks wrote:
Hi, know this is an old topic but was wondering if you would be so kind as to tell me how/what you used to fabricate the front engine mount? Yours looks awesome by the way. Did you template it or use 2 different mounts and a piece of box section and weld them together? I want to put my built 1.8t lump into a Cayman as a winter project so any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers feak

I just got the engine into the position I wanted it at and and used that boxed section to fill the gap between the Boxster mount and the 1.8t, I welded a custom plate on either end of it to bolt up one end to the engine and one end to the mount.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Still going strong. This engine conversion has been trouble free. Such a fun car to drive!
rkidd7952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

This is a very cool swap! Does the engine have to be pitched forward to fit? From the pictures, the crank pulley appears to be closer to the ground than it would be for the flat 6. Are there any issues with ground clearance from the oil pan?

Robert
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

rkidd7952 wrote:
This is a very cool swap! Does the engine have to be pitched forward to fit? From the pictures, the crank pulley appears to be closer to the ground than it would be for the flat 6. Are there any issues with ground clearance from the oil pan?

Robert

Thank you. Yes, you are correct, it is tipped a little downward in order for everything to clear. No problems with ground clearance, it is about the same as it was with the stock engine..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: